Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4114 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 9 of 25
29 March 2014 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
This is the which time you ask this question, yong321? ;)

I think we can't make that kind of question in Spanish either. I tried to think on possible ways to say "which
time", but all of them sound extremely awkward to me. As for Italian, I haven't heard of any similar
construction, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if such word or expression doesn't exist, given the similarity
between Italian and Spanish.

Edited by nicozerpa on 29 March 2014 at 4:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4560 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 10 of 25
29 March 2014 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
Now I know Finnish, Russian, Marathi, as well as German and Chinese, have this question word.
The Russian example given by Serpent isn't really a unique question word, although it does perform the function you described. Какой (or который) по счету is a phrase that can be roughly translated as "which on the count" or "which by counting". Какой means "what kind" or "which", while который is specifically "which", so using them without по счету still leaves a bit of ambiguity.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 25
29 March 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
True, but I would say it's just an analytically formed question word, like "how many" in English. We can't say English lacks a question word for "how many" just because Russian or Finnish use single words here. (btw Finnish uses the same word again, but in a different case and without the ordinal ending)

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4560 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 12 of 25
29 March 2014 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
True, but I would say it's just an analytically formed question word, like "how many" in English. We can't say English lacks a question word for "how many" just because Russian or Finnish use single words here. (btw Finnish uses the same word again, but in a different case and without the ordinal ending)
True. I guess I could nitpick that "how many" is also not a word but an interrogative phrase, but that would open the can of worms of how to define the term "word" in such a way that would work for cross-linguistic comparisons universally, and that would be too much of a deviation from the original topic.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6370 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 25
29 March 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
In Swedish you can use the construction "vilken gång i ordningen", literally "which time in the order" to ask this. It's a bit long, and in some circumstances it can sound awkward, but it sounds fine in others. You probably wouldn't ask "Vilken gång i ordningen är det du kommit till New York?" (which time in the order is it you've come to New York), but rather "Hur många gånger har du varit i New York?" (how many times have you been to New York). You would, however, say "Vilken bok i ordningen är det du läser?" (which book in the order is it you're reading), when talking about a book series, for example.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 25
29 March 2014 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
In English, there doesn't seem to be a proper question word that
specifically asks for the ordinal number of an item in a series. For example,

Q: This is which time you come to New York?
A: The second time.

Here "which time" is awkward, or not proper English at all.

Q: The teacher wants us to read John XYZ's all three books in the ABC series. Which
book are you on|reading now?
A1: I'm reading his "Book Title".
A2: I'm reading his second book.

Here the question is good, but both answers are valid; the question does not demand
answer A2 and reject A1.

This is not the case with Chinese where there's the question word "第几", or German in
which you can ask "wievielte" (see this discussion
http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=157 627 Note there's no space
between 7 and 6; this forum web site added it).

What other languages can ask about the ordinal number?

I'd re-word the second question as:

"Which of the three books are you reading now?"

This could elicit either answer, but is more likely to result in "the second one", I
think.

By the way, you can avoid the "space problem" by using URL tags, then do a preview and
see if it's ok, and if not, you can make the input text box wider by dragging the
bottom right corner.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ClaireB
Triglot
France
Joined 4830 days ago

4 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Japanese
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Finnish, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 15 of 25
29 March 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
French would be "combientième", but it should only be used in informal speech :

"C'est la combientième fois que vous venez à New York ?"
"Tu lis le combientième de ses livres ?"

Wikipedia has just taught me that there is a formal version,"quantième", but I have never, ever heard anyone
use it, and
never used it myself. In my experience, it only shows up in legal documents, contracts and such      

Edited by ClaireB on 29 March 2014 at 1:03pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5330 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 25
29 March 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Now I think we can have three groups of languages in terms of this capability: (1) a single word suffices; (2) a phrase is needed; (3) some logic is needed to deduce the ordinal number, or you ask in a different way, or there's not a general interrogative construct.

By the way, although I don't know Japanese, I think "何番目" in Japanese is the question word that serves the purpose. See http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/13416/how-do-you -ask-for-ordinality-order-in-a-sequence (using montmorency's suggestion on creating a URL tag)

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version