18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 18
21 April 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Serpent wrote:
On Windows you can also switch by using Shift+Ctrl or Shift+Alt. in
Russia there are actual flame wars about which is better.

On Windows 8, win+space is vastly superior as it actually tells you on the screen which
language you're switching to. Ctrl+shift is a combination that I find to be awful; it
happened way too often that I switched layouts accidentally.

I find switching between more than two layouts too cumbersome anyway. Maybe that's just because here almost everyone switches only between Russian and English (or another language using the Latin alphabet). I know in Ukraine many are used to switching between Russian/Ukrainian/English just as easily though.
For those who switch a lot accidental switching is also no big deal - in fact, much of the time it's not even noticeable. There are also programs like Punto Switcher that compare your input to their dictionary and switch automatically if the word you are typing exists in one language but not the other.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 18
25 April 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
I just found a website with advice for typing international (= European latin alphabet + accents) characters.
http://www.twinning.org.uk/typing_international_characters.h tm

Their page of shortcuts for MS Word was particularly helpful to me, since this is the method I usually use.
http://www.twinning.org.uk/international_characters_in_word. htm
I regularly use the standard accents needed for French, such as à, á, â, ç. But I didn't realize you can also easily type ð, Ð, å, Å, æ, Æ, œ, Œ, ø, Ø, ¿, ¡ and ß.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version