Germany
Joined 3854 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 33 of 37
25 May 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for explaining :)
Until now, the only book I read was Lola Lago. And there was not much past tense ^^ so
it was quite easy to understand. After that I looked into a few graded A1 books, but I
found it hard withe the past tense AND other new words and the story didn't seem to
interest me, so I stopped it. I don't like reading stuff I don't enjoy. That's not the
aim of my learning via self-study.

And even when Charlie isn't A1 it's a kids novel, isnt it? So it doesn't use the most
complex language. No matter what language ^^

I then might also get a German or English copy because I don't have it already ^^
I know what you mean by the novel gets easier over time. It's what I found out with
Harry Potter in English which was my first "real" English novel that I've read. I
started with looking up everything on the first page, but after one knows words like
"wand" or "cloak" or stuff like that which repeats throughout the whole book one
defenitley knows these words without even "learning" them actively. And as the story
progresses it's easier to get the gist than one just one page. But therefore one has to
moviate oneself to just go on.

Thanks for sharing your way of reading. I never tried reading parallel texts. Maybe I
should. At least now in the beginning. It would save time. Looking up every word and
then guessing what it means in this special context is sometimes very time-consuming. I
hope that they have Charlie at out library because always buying several books is then
a bit more expensive.
1 person has voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3854 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 34 of 37
01 June 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
And it's another Sunday. I've completed all my goals and for Spanish I'm very glad, that I bought Charlie y la fábrica de chocolate. It is easy to understand and
I like the story.

So, here are my goals for the next week:

Sunday 1.6.14-Sunday 15.6.14
EDIT: week extended till next sunday because of private problems

Spanish
Courses
- Teach yourself/Sprachkurs plus chapter 7
- Assimil lesson 4, 5, 6

Vocabulary
- review the words I put into anki every day
Watching
-Destinos episode 12, 13

Reading
- 20 pages       54/20

English
Reading
- 50 pages of HP5

Watching
- 90 minutes of film or series... 90/90

Edited by Komma on 16 June 2014 at 9:23pm

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3854 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 35 of 37
10 June 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
what a miserable week. at university as well as my private life. So I haven't managed to
do anything but reading charlie y la fábrica de chocolate the many tours by train I had
to do...

I think I just extend the week till next sunday, because it was not only stress but very
bad private stuff that happened and so I think this is best. Otherwise it might
demotivate me.This week I have no university at all, so it will be a bit less stressful.
:-)

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3854 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 36 of 37
16 June 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
So, the two weeks are over, but even in the extended two weeks I've only did the reading in Spanish and the watching in English.
I really had too much going on this time. And it's not really over, so I'll focus on the SC part of Spanish and English and when I have time I might do additional lessons
and other stuff.

Sunday 16.6.14-Sunday 22.6.14

Spanish
Vocabulary
- review the words I put into anki every day

Watching
-Destinos episode 12, 13

Reading
- 50 pages

English
Reading
- 50 pages of HP5

Watching
- 90 minutes of film or series...

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3854 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 37 of 37
19 July 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Ok, it's been a loooong time since my last post.
And I still don't have much time even now that semester has ended finally... I have to
prepare for exams now... yeah..

So, I actually only continued reading. I could not stand sitting there "learning" again
after such long university days... And even if language learning is fun, it still ist
learning when you are at a low level.

I finishe Charly y la fábrica de chocolate, which was quite fun. However, I dont'
really enjoy Spanish reading at the moment. I'm soo slow, have to look up everything
and now it actually gets on my nerves...

I also finishe Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and started with the Half-
Blood prince.
I love reading English, however, I don't really do it to improve.. I joined SC for
english to start to read again more in general as I already switched to reading English
instead of German most of the times, but just sat in front of the computer in the
evenings and daddling around... Reading is much better. even as I'm not improving
spanish at the moment. English is alway good. It's my first foreign language and it
will always be my favourite. Don't know why, but I just LOVE it!!

SO, see you around next time I manage to write a bit..

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version