Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5353 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 9 of 14
24 April 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
I find Quizlet more useful for actually learning vocabulary - but Anki's SRS is probably
useful for long term revision. But given it is easy to export from Quizlet to Anki, get
both.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 14
24 April 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I find Quizlet more useful for actually learning vocabulary - but Anki's SRS is probably
useful for long term revision. But given it is easy to export from Quizlet to Anki, get
both.

How easy is it to transfer from Anki to Quizlet?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 14
24 April 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
One more thing:

Anki is basically one circle of anki apps but you can import the content or export it as you like. But there are no "Anki clones" around.

Quizlet has attracted a bunch of flashcard apps (usually crappy, including the paid ones) that draw from the flashcard set database but they are just the cards, not SRS. So, be careful when searching for the app to not get (and pay for) something worse accidentally. Actually, the Quizlet app itself appears to have gone through a lot of updates so some of the issues I disliked in past may have been changed.

Giving it another glance now, I think the various games are actually a great thing. I don't think the SRS part is the core of the Quizlet and Anki si great at that. But if it is simple to move my own content from anki to quizlet, I am now considering it!

Any simple instructions on how to do it? I suppose it will be easily googlable. I hope so. Because the shared content of Quizlet is either all bad (which I don't think) or it is just hard to search it without knowing exactly the name of the deck. I wish I could just use filters like "Spanish, 1000+ items". Is it possible by chance?

Thanks for the thread, I think Quizlet may be a good tool for me afterall, even though more as a supplement to Anki, not a substitute.

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6066 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 12 of 14
27 April 2014 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Anyone else a fan of Flashcards Deluxe besides me?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5353 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 13 of 14
28 April 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Quizlet to Anki - see this:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=33001&KW=quizlet

I am not so sure going the other way - Anki-Quizlet - if anyone knows, please help...

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 14 of 14
28 April 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
pingvin10 wrote:
Anyone else a fan of Flashcards Deluxe besides me?

Hey pingvin10,

I use Flashcards Deluxe! I can't understand why more don't but it probably comes down to marketing
and
word of mouth.

For others out there Flaschcards Deluxe certainly allows ANY side to be viewed first. On this website it
compares a multitude of different flashcard apps, 163 apparently (not sure how recent it was updated):

163 Flashcard apps

Anyway I can certainly vouch for Flashcards Deluxe, and a quick search on the iTunes Store (it's now
also avail on android) shows that there's no shortage of 5 star reviews. I don't work for, know the
developpers, or gain anything for vouching for this product, it just works. There are a hell of a lot of
sophisticated options.
With my French decks I enter cards directly into my phone through the app with a bluetooth keyboard. I'm not
sure this is possible with Anki. Flaschcards Deluxe also gives a lot of statistics if that's what you're into and
has multiple study modes. You can enter cards via a computer if you prefer that and download the decks to
your phone. You can also backup your decks to Dropbox and other places. Anyway with my language decks I
create them French on first side, English second side, other things on 3rd side such as phonetics or whether
a noun is masculine or fem. You can have more than 3 sides if you so desire. You can download audio (text
to speech) or record it yourself, add pictures, do question answer format, create decks with multitude of other
decks contained within one deck. Basically there's a LOT of options (much more intricate than mentioned).

With my language decks I create my initial main deck and then a duplicate 2nd deck. In the first deck French
under the option "show side first" I select 'side 1' which correlates to French, thus French always comes up
first when using this deck of flashcards. Then I have created a 2nd duplicate deck, which requires no more
work than a few minutes to create and from then on it automatically duplicates what is in my main 1st deck.
However with this 2nd deck in the option "Show side first" I select side 2 instead and therefore English (on
the second side of my cards) shows first when using this 2nd deck. I even have a third deck that contains the
first deck duplicated again but in the show side first setting, ANY (random) side can appear first, and in that
deck I can simply 'play' the deck in a automatic play mode and listen to it in my car through the stereo. So,
plenty of options. FD is worth considering.

Edit:
For FD study modes the options are:
Ordered
Random
Short term goal / Leitner
Spaced Repitition

Spaced Repition settings include:
Cards become new in: random / ordered
Max new cards: 10 is default but can be anywhere between 0-200
New to active after: 1,2,3,4 or 5 correct
(ie cards become part of your active SRS system after being created as new cards after you get them correct
the number of times allocated)
Max cards in round: default = 20 but can be modified to suit your choice

Other SRS options include
First interval after correct:
First interval after strong:
(there are 2 correct replies to cards- correct which is swipe sideways and strong swipe up which constitutes
to knowing the card very well and therefore will reappear later depending on above settings)
Minimum interval
Maximum interval
Target interval
Max interval after wrong
Wrong interval factor
Correct interval factor
Early correct factor
Strong interval factor
Due cards priority
Late review adjustment
Postpone due date until
Pushback due dates

if none of it makes sense there all helpful simple tips within the app accessed easily in the corresponding
areas. Or you can simply leave the default options in place.

These are just the SRS options, which can be set differently for each of your decks. Combination decks can
combine any number of other decks you like. I don't know much about Quizlet but I know this app supports
it's use, whatever that entails i'm not sure.

Other notable options not related to SRS include spelling, drawing and timed modes,, cards can be excluded,
flagged, or categorized, they can be edited very quickly if you come across an error when studying... and so
on. I'm touting this software because I feel almost that too many ppl feel Anki is their only decent option. It's
definitely not.

PM

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 28 April 2014 at 3:25pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version