Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 27
23 April 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
As usual, the next 6 Week Challenge starts on May 1st. This is a challenge to upgrade
your language skills in one language from beginner to something more worthwhile, and to
see if you can find more time to study languages when competing with other participants
in a global highscore. Note that you can only participate if you are a beginner or
lower intermediate (B1) in your target language.

What's unusual this time is that there is a special challenge along with it, for
which we have found very generous prize sponsors: give a 1-5 minute talk in Esperanto
after learning it for only 6 weeks and you can win a week-long vacation, a book or a
DVD.
Details here.

No matter if you're participating in this special version of the 6 Week Challenge or
just doing a regular challenge, the time to sign up is now. Tweet "@6wcbot I want to
#register to study #Esperanto in May. #HTLAL" and you're in!

Good luck in your language studies!
13 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4379 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 2 of 27
29 April 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
If the winner of first prize turns out to be British (or living in Britain), the registered charity NoJEF announced yesterday on Facebook that it will pay the travel costs to the event of the winner's choice.

Apologies that we can't offer this to those without a British connection; the charity is legally restricted under the terms of its trust deed as to what it can do with its money. If the winner were to be non-British but chose to visit an Esperanto event in Britain as the prize, we may have scope to sort something out also... but I'm not sure why anyone would choose to come to the UK when they could go to Brazil!

You have two days to migrate and sign up for the challenge ;)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 27
29 April 2014 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would choose to come to the UK when they could go to Brazil!
Because the British visa is difficult to get.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3855 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 4 of 27
29 April 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
so, one question about the "work" part..
work #full-time means the job outside from language learing or the learning process?

and another question:
one registers for one target language, but one can also write updates to the bot for
other languages right? but for those one does not have to or must not register? and these
can be more than B1 or so?

Edited by Komma on 29 April 2014 at 4:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 27
29 April 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it refers to your job. It's mostly done for the purpose of comparing yourself with others who have a similar load. Feel free to leave out this part, maybe especially if you count some things you do for work as language learning.

For your totals, anything that's not in your native language can count. You only register with your target language.

Alex Mertz
United States
everythingickathu.blRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3883 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 6 of 27
30 April 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll be doing a 6WC this time in Spanish. I need to improve my Spanish rapidly,
because, let's be honest, I've been lying to myself for a long time about how well I know
Spanish. Also, I'm taking a test (SAT II Subject Test of Spanish) on June 7 and need to
improve a lot by then. I'll primarily be using Memrise, Sharedtalk, and Italki, I think.
I'll probably do some Duolingo as well.

Putting German on a partial hold for now. It pains me to stop from German, or even to
ease back on it. I'll probably finish my 21 day sprint (at least 10 new vocab a day from
a frequency ordered list of 1000) that I'm doing with German and then ease back on it and
just review vocab and stuff, primarily focusing on Spanish.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 27
30 April 2014 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
And I will - on my ever lasting voyage towards a B1 - register with Russian again:-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4418 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 8 of 27
30 April 2014 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
I will sign up for Russian, which I just started in January.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version