Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 26 of 27
09 August 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Since no one has answered this, I will attempt to give an answer. Be aware that whatever I write is not official in any way, but a result of a couple years experience of Six Week Challenges, and reading discussions on these forums.

The main rule is: study your language and log the time.

Any type of study counts; you can read textbooks, listen to podcasts, study poems, talk with strangers, memorize idioms, practice speaking in the mirror, whatever. Somewhere, Sprachprofi mentioned one caveat: if you are not fully concentrating on any task then you should only count part of the time. So for example if you are listening to an audiobook, but only half paying attention, you should count half the time.

One more rule is that you can't "double book". If you are watching a film while doing cards on Anki, you can't count time for both. Along the same line, if you are reading in one language while listening to the same thing in another language, you can't count the total time for both. It is a good way to study, but you just can't spend two hours doing work and get four hours of credit.

There are a few other things which might be more controversial. Sprachprofi started a discussion a while back about whether watching films and TV should count. After the discussion, she accepted it, but I think she wanted people to count it if they are fully paying attention to it.

The other item which was controversial last 6wc was music. A lot of us have counted time listening to music in our target language, but I believe most of us would count it at half time or less. However, when someone was counting 6 hours a day of music, a few people raised objections. As a result of that discussion, I don't count music unless I am reading the lyrics at the same time or something like that. For example, I would count time spent on lyricstraining.com.

The most important rule is that you should push yourself to study as much of your target language(s) as you can squeeze into your day. How you count your time is ultimately up to you and your conscience.

As a final point: this is a group challenge. Treat it that way and it will be more fun. Follow people on Twitter who are studying the same language(s) as you, or people who are just ahead of or behind you. Tweet the names of the things you are studying so other participants can get ideas. Ask other participants how they are doing, or ask them for advice. Some people have said that they don't care what other people think of how they count their time. I agree, to a certain extent. But on the other hand, if you want to participate in a group event, you have to accept that other people will be curious about what you're doing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 27 of 27
09 August 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeffers!!!! I don't listen to much music so that isn't a problem for me. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version