United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 10
27 April 2014 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Just a curiosity,

Has anybody ever tried/succeeded in learning German and Dutch at the same time?

I know the general consensus about learning two related languages is generally not to
do so, but I've also known people to learn Spanish and Italian without incident and
other similar combinations.

The reason I ask is because I want to learn both languages in a way where I am able to
speak them independently and not have one language influence the other, accidentally
saying "nicht" as opposed to "niet", etc.

Is this possible, or is it simply a better idea to learn one first, then the other? If
this is the case, which would you recommend learning first - Dutch or German?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 2 of 10
27 April 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Also, I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct section. If it is not, please do move
it and I apologise.

snorrews
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3896 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Swedish, Danish, German
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 10
27 April 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I think it is very possible to learn two even closely related languages at the same time. However, in order
to make it easier for yourself, I think it is a good idea to try to separate the activities connected with
learning each language as much as possible. The separation could be German in the morning - Dutch in
the evening, German books - Dutch newspapers, German TV - Dutch audiobooks, or whatever. I can read
German quite well, and I am reading Dutch using LingQ in order to see how much I can learn without effort
(i.e. without using grammar book, Assimil, etc). I don't mix the two, but they are at quite different levels
for me, and maybe that helps.

In general on the question about whether it is wise to learn two languages at the time or one after another,
I would say that it depends on how much interest you are able to muster for the languages. If you find that
you have energy and interest to study one language all the time (i.e. filling all your available time with one
language), then perhaps it is OK to learn one first and then another. However, if you get "bored" after
some hours with one language, but still want to study more, perhaps it is advisable to study both at the
same time, switching between the two as indicated initially.

Also, if you start with one language in order to learn it properly and then another, you will (I think) soon
reach a level in the one language that allows you to start with the basics in the other without confusing
them.

The bottom line is that it all comes down to interest and doing things you enjoy. If you find pleasure in
studying two related languages at a time, go ahead and do so. You will even discover several advantages
to that approach, I would guess.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4432 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 10
27 April 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I think you can learn any two languages simultaneously. If the languages are closely related then it cuts down
the work load (although I guess you have to tread carefully to avoid conflating them).

Millions of people learn 2 languages as part of growing up (not sure if its correct to say 2 languages natively.
For example a Tunisian kid with Arabic and French. Speaks one at home, schooled in another).
2 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 5 of 10
28 April 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
It is surely possible , but I think it is more effective to learn first German and than dutch or vice versa .

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4525 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 6 of 10
28 April 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Why are you in such a hurry in the first place?

I would try to dedicate myself to learn one of them first (probably German) for at least 1 year, then Dutch will be like a walk in the park.

I agree with something Luca Lampariello said once: supposing there's a challenge to learn 10 new languages in 10 years, one of the contestants tries learning all the 10 at the same time, and the other one focus on a pair of languages not closely related for blocks of 2 years (for example, Italian and Swedish for 2 years, then German and Portuguese for another 2 years, etc). The latter will most likely be much more successful in his journey, because the previously learned languages will ease the learning of the closely related new ones, since he'll have a deeper knowledge of it already.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 10
28 April 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Interference is overrated, the bigger trouble is with your workload and burnout.
6 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 8 of 10
28 April 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Why are you in such a hurry in the first place?

I would try to dedicate myself to learn one of them first (probably German) for at least 1 year, then Dutch
will be like a walk in the park.

I agree with something Luca Lampariello said once: supposing there's a challenge to learn 10 new
languages in 10 years, one of the contestants tries learning all the 10 at the same time, and the other one
focus on a pair of languages not closely related for blocks of 2 years (for example, Italian and
Swedish for 2 years, then German and Portuguese for another 2 years, etc). The latter will most likely be
much more successful in his journey, because the previously learned languages will ease the learning of
the closely related new ones, since he'll have a deeper knowledge of it already.

Wise words :-) . I can also support what Travos says , having a really solid foundation in German I feel
that to learn to understand native content in dutch reasonably well is a matter of months .

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version