Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3856 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 10
30 April 2014 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm studying both. It is certainly possible, I'm having really rapid results in
understanding texts. Less rapid in understanding while spoken.
What I do is to acquire vocabulary and doing reading and listening.
I want to be able to use native resources, watching movies in dutch and German and
reading books and newspapers with a good degree of comprehension. After I will activate
the languages, one at a time.

If you want to speak from day 0, I suggest you to not study them together.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5071 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 10 of 10
30 April 2014 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I always advise beginners to learn one foreign language first before diving headfirst into the buffet. If you were to learn either German or Dutch first, your time to pick up the other would be dramatically reduced for several reasons. One reason that often gets overlooked is how successfully learning a second language gives an advantage in learning the next language- even an unrelated one.

Learning a second language to a high level (B-2 or above) teaches a person not only that language, but how languages work. It also teaches how to learn and what methods work best in individual learning. Moving a language from the "studies" column to the "speaks" column gives a learner an intangible quality of confidence in language-learning because of the experience of the ups and downs, highs and lows, setbacks and great leaps forward, having lead to success. By learning either Dutch or German to a high level you will give yourself a huge advantage in language-learning that should not be lightly dismissed. Try to learn both on your own as an adult at the same time without having the advantage of at least one second language under your belt and it will be a very difficult task.

Edited by iguanamon on 30 April 2014 at 1:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version