destinos
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3768 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 11
28 April 2014 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
I have been studying Spanish on and off for quite some time not enough to be at a good
level however I am noticing that, though I have a huge vocabulary and usually know what
all the words I am reading mean as far as their English counterpart, when I read I do not
have a huge comprehension. It is just like I am reading words. I do not translate as I am
trying to move away from that but It really bothers me that I am not getting the phrases
as I should. Does anyone else have that problem? How would I go about countering that?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 11
28 April 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Maybe some immediate feedback could help you, and you could get that with the help of bilingual texts. I use homemade bilingual printouts using Word files with a series of 2 column tables, where the left column contains the original version and the right one a translation (you can make them parallel by modifying the column widths or font sizes). The translation has to be reasonably close to the original, but it is not important whether it is errorfree - so even a Google translation can be better than no translation at all. Yes, I saw that you try to get away from translations, and that's fine, but the point in using bilinguals as described above is not to lure you into making your own translation, but just to give you a here and now confirmation that you are on the right track (and some useful hints if you aren't).

Edited by Iversen on 29 April 2014 at 3:51pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4342 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 11
28 April 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Are you reading books, or just extracts?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 11
28 April 2014 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
See reading strategies. You should be also able to find some "reading Spanish" books easily.
1 person has voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4447 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 5 of 11
28 April 2014 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I remember having this problem when I started out with Spanish. I used "Spanish for Reading" by Franco and
Sandberg. It guides you through progressively harder texts. It uses a quite ingenious method. Before you get
to the main text of a chapter it goes through sample sentences, explains the grammar of them and shows
how they could be varied for different meanings.

Books that you've already read are great too because you already have an idea what they're saying. And
if you have a copy in the other language then you have a bilingual text yay.

Edited by AlexTG on 28 April 2014 at 3:55pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 11
28 April 2014 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
As far as I can tell, effortless reading is largely a result of previous exposure to more-or-less comprehensible texts. In a nutshell:

1. This means things will get better once you've read, say, 500 pages, and they'll get a lot better after 2,500 pages or so.

2. But this will only work if you can actually more-or-less understand what you're reading. You don't need to understand everything, but you do need to be able to follow along. And since you have a lot of pages to read, you might as well enjoy yourself a bit. (Actually, I recommend enjoying yourself for a fairly specific reason: it's a semi-reliable way to calibrate the difficulty of the texts. If something is so hard that it makes you totally miserable, or so easy that it bores you, try another approach.)

So don't hesitate to mess around and try different things. Read translations of your favorite books, or use English & Spanish versions of a text in parallel, or read ebooks with a popup dictionary: Whatever works best for you. If you need to translate in your head to get started, well, it's still a hundred times better than not reading, and it will probably drop away as you get more exposure. Also, don't hesitate to read something a couple of times: translating it in your head the first time, and trying to understand it directly after a few passes. (This works best with short passages.)

I still need to translate Middle Egyptian in my head a lot of the time—I can read certain simple phrases directly, but anything hairy tends to slip through my fingers. But that's because I've read maybe a couple dozen pages total, at the absolute most. That's not enough for it to become second nature.

Remember: When learning a foreign language on your own, "cheating" is almost always a good thing. It's better to do get right in there and use the language, making whatever compromises you need to keep going.
5 persons have voted this message useful

destinos
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3768 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 7 of 11
28 April 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Wow thanks I bought the Spanish for reading. I used
the German for reading loved it yet I did not think
there was a Spanish one.