Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4724 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 20
30 April 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
During the Learning Based Challenge in April, I learnt 25 new cards almost every day
for a month. During the process, my daily review list was getting bigger every day.
Most days I did enough extra reviews to complete them, although this often meant doing
250-300 reviews of past cards.

This made me wonder, what is a sustainable number of new cards to add every day. By
sustainable, I mean that the number of reviews due wouldn't keep going up. Before this
challenge I had new cards set to 10/day, but sometimes I would turn off new cards for a
few days because the review queue was creeping up. I am thinking that a sustainable
number would be something like 6/day.

Share your thoughts and experience with new cards. Have you found a sustainable daily
number? Or do you study new vocabulary in peaks and troughs?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4164 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 20
30 April 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
I've been keeping a log of my vocabulary (Anki deck?) size for the last 39 days. I have been
adding an average of 35.52 words a day. I get about 300-500 reviews a day, and I do them in
about half an hour (the time will be different on the PC and Ankidroid). For me, it's not really the
reviews that are hard to do, but rather making the new cards. Adding 50 words takes me an hour
to an hour and a half, and it's kinda tedious (particularly if I add from a real life book, and I have to
look up new Kanji by the radicals first).
In short, I find it hard to sustain adding so many new cards itself, rather than keeping up with the
reviews this number leads to.

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4504 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 3 of 20
30 April 2014 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Truthfully, I have found 10 new cards a day to be sustainable over a long period of time. I did 10 new cards a day with my basic German deck for over a year and eventually, it did all work itself out as the older cards got longer and longer intervals. There were times I wasn't sure I could keep up, but it did end up being managable long term (under 30 minutes/day).
6 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6724 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 20
30 April 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
There must be some way to calculate the optimal amount of new cards, assuming you mark each as Good the first time you see it, and Easy each time you see it again.

The better you know the cards beforehand, the longer the interval will be. And obviously, if you've never before seen any of the words you add, those will appear again and again.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4336 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 5 of 20
01 May 2014 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
the rule of 5: 5 new cards per day = 5 minutes of review per day :)
this is what I call manageable, considering I have 3 decks where I add new cards each
day and another 5 where I add new cards very rarely
for very easy languages, I can manage 10 new cards per day and still stay around the 5
minute window
7 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4069 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 6 of 20
02 May 2014 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
I think there are lots of factors here.

When I started learning (already speaking Spanish), I 'learned' 50-100 new cards a day (though, in actuality,
many of the words were very similar to Spanish words so it wasn't so difficult. I would spend almost all of my
commute on cards, plus all the media I consumed was in Italian. This rate is not sustainable, After 2-3
months I was happy at 10 cards.

With Persian I was happy with 5 new cards a day.

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4580 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 20
08 May 2014 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I'm adding sentences these days, some of which have as many as two new words. I started out at 50 sentences a day eventually dropped back to 30 sentences a day, and now am at 20 words a day. I've been at this since early January. I've got 3200 learning and mature cards. My reviews today was at 130 cards. I don't hit easy very often; I usually stick to good.    I have deleted sentences that I didn't like, so this probably is affecting things also.I really think that there are so many variables in this that you can only determine what to do based on your results.

If there is anything I have learned it is that the number of new cards you can stand is probably much less than you think you can handle when you start off. A few cards never seem to stick, and as you go along they pile up...

edited to fix a dumb sentence

Edited by sfuqua on 08 May 2014 at 6:17am

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3932 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 8 of 20
12 May 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
What would be the most efficient way of remembering the vocabulary when following an
Assimil course? If words repeat themselves over the course of the lessons, would using
Anki just be a waste of time? I'm wondering if it's best to buy a wee notebook and log
new words into chapters, and review the odd lesson's vocabulary every so often. Or have
others had much luck with learning everything "naturally" (i.e. no note-takng)?

That way I could keep Anki for words I find in the wild (e.g. when reading a book) that
don't stick.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version