Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3650 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 12
05 May 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Has anybody compared the new Assimil Spanish course with the prior Assimil Spanish with Ease? I am interested in
the English base version of the course, but suspect that a comparison of the French base version would be equally
useful since I believe the course is effectively the same.

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3650 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes

Message 2 of 12
19 May 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Having ordered all three edtions of Assimil's Spanish course I find myself in possesion of all three editions of it
using English as the base language. Namely I have a 1963 printing of the 1957 "Spanish without Toil" course; a
recent printing of the 1987 "Spanish with Ease"; and the 2014 English base translation of the current L'Espagnol
course. I have done about 8 lessons from each edition but have spent significant time thumbing through each
edition. These represent my initial observations of the 2014 edition, comparing it mainly to the 1987 Spanish
with Ease edition:

1. The dialogues are shorter. Usually a couple of lines shorter than the 1987 Assimil with Ease course at the same
level. In addition there are 100 lessons instead of 109 in the older edition. I hope this does not translate
ultimately into less instruction/benefit from the book because otherwise I like the changes in the book overall.

2. The English translation is by an English native speaker and is idiomatically and gramatically much more natural
sounding. The explanations are also much better written. A very welcome change.

3. Far more detailed explanations scattered all through the book. And a much improved seventh lesson. I believe
this Assimil is much more useable by itself as the only text, even for those users who would normally seek
grammar explanations elsewhere. There is also a fairly detailed appendix in the book (highlighted by blue paper
edging) covering grammar, verb conjugation, and an English-Spanish Glossary. Overall a much juicier and also
better written explanation for the language rules and grammar. As a result the book is noticeably thicker than the
preceding edition.

4. Somewhat better printing and typography and choice of fonts.

I will post updates to my impression of the book as I proceed along with it. I will try to work through all 3
editions in parallel (in addition to working through the Living Language Ultimate course) but on days when I am
short of time I will use mainly the 2014 edition.
6 persons have voted this message useful

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3631 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 12
19 May 2014 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I came here to ask exactly the same question, I recently bought the 1987 version as it was the only version I could
find then a few months later I discover theres a new 2014 edition!

one question I have re the difference between the 1987 and 2014 versions is does the 2014 version STILL have the
direct translation in brackets? As I found this feature REALLY REALLY useful to help get word structure to lodge in
my brain.

I found the fact it showed the real world meaning and the direct translation really a great feature.

for example one sentence said "tu tienes una mala clara" and the translation said something like "you seem unhappy
"(have a bad face)"

I can't remember exactly the wording but I found having that word for word translation so useful

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3650 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes

Message 4 of 12
19 May 2014 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
mercutio wrote:
I came here to ask exactly the same question, I recently bought the 1987 version as it
was the only version I could
find then a few months later I discover theres a new 2014 edition!

one question I have re the difference between the 1987 and 2014 versions is does the 2014 version STILL
have the
direct translation in brackets? As I found this feature REALLY REALLY useful to help get word structure to
lodge in
my brain.

I found the fact it showed the real world meaning and the direct translation really a great feature.

for example one sentence said "tu tienes una mala clara" and the translation said something like "you seem
unhappy
"(have a bad face)"

I can't remember exactly the wording but I found having that word for word translation so useful

Yes, they are continuing with that dual style of translation in the newest book; providing you with a literal as
well as a more natural translation into English.

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3631 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes

Message 5 of 12
22 May 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
thanks for that info. does it also have the "fill in the missing words" exercises, I quite like those, it makes me think
in a very targeted way which word to use.

also for people like myself with the 1987 version is there enough difference to warrant getting the 2014 one
instead? I only bought mine recently and am on lesson 8 in the 1987 one.... so it would have to be worth it buying a
new version. I was given the audio free by someone.

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3631 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes

Message 6 of 12
22 May 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
does anyone know where its possible to download a copy of the new audio?

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3847 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 7 of 12
22 May 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
mercutio wrote:

Don't they have it on their assimil.fr or fr.assimil.com site?

Another question: I've got the 2007 version and don't want to buy the whole course again.
I thought about getting the book only. Does this make sense? concerning that it has
different/less lessons? Or are the lessons in the new book the same as in the 2007
version and just a few less/ different order? Then I could still use the audio at least
in most cases.. I wouldn't mind missing a few lessons with audio.. I would just go
through them without...

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3631 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes

Message 8 of 12
23 May 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Komma wrote:
mercutio wrote:

Don't they have it on their assimil.fr or fr.assimil.com site?

Another question: I've got the 2007 version and don't want to buy the whole course again.
I thought about getting the book only. Does this make sense? concerning that it has
different/less lessons? Or are the lessons in the new book the same as in the 2007
version and just a few less/ different order? Then I could still use the audio at least
in most cases.. I wouldn't mind missing a few lessons with audio.. I would just go
through them without...

sadly I had only just a few months ago (by accident) bought the 1987 version without realising there was a 2014
version so can't afford to buy the 2014 audio, hence seeing if anyone had shared it anywhere.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version