Diglot
Greece
Joined 3629 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 40
11 May 2014 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Yes, it made me think of Bond as well. I liked that amazing stage and the humour of the Danes: it's awful when the esc is taken too seriously.

So, same time next year? :D

And let's wish for many languages and musical diversity.

2 persons have voted this message useful

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
GreeceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3899 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek, Greek*, EnglishC2, GermanB2, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 40
11 May 2014 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I hated the voting.. Too many countries were missing for the Balkans to actually have a
chance.
Also the contest was somewhat boring since all the performances of neighbors were
missing- Cyprus, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turkey, Slovakia, Chech
Republic, Bulgaria... Of the Balkans we had just Montenegro, Slovenia and Greece.
Ours(greece) was not good, but Slovenia's and Montenegro's were very impressive. I wish
next year the others will come back , and with native-language songs of course :)
(of course here goes the other question, is it really worth it paying the expenses of
such a contest? especially for the Balkans whose economy isn't exactly blooming..
Whatever the answer, the contest is something watched like the world cup in my country,
so i definitely stand for having it. It's like a big fiesta every year-though in Greece
it is sponsored by a big music company, something like MTV but greek. Otherwise we
would have probably stepped out long ago)
sorry for getting a bit off topic
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 35 of 40
11 May 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
I love the winning song,
So Bondesque.

I thought the song itself was pretty bland, but very Eurovision-y in its sound.

The Netherlands' entry was a much better song, I thought. But country music's never been
a favorite to win at Eurovision.

R.
==

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 40
11 May 2014 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I also thought it sounded like a classic Bond song. I watched both the semifinals and the big final and really liked the three hosts. A perfect mix of professionalism and humour. No event on Swedish television has been anywhere close (not even the dreadful Humour Gala we had a couple of weeks ago - the worst thing I've seen in a long time).

I liked Norway and Montenegro.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 11 May 2014 at 11:09pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 37 of 40
11 May 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I don't think any of those missing countries will be coming back anytime soon, zografialep. THe channels have tried Eurovision, it didn't live up to the expectations when it comes to popularity and public interest (and therefore money from ads) so there is no reason to participate again, since it is far from free for the tv channel.

I think Eurovision could be changed and become a great contest and show again.

Imagine something like merging all the local contests to choose the proper representant being merged together. Each country could send in several musicians/bands and people all over Europe would choose from this large mix. They could use whatever languages they'd want but the songs would have to be original (a huge difference from the Idols and such shows). So, we would have large part in English but larger chance of hearing the national languages as well. We would have overall higher quality of the music, in my opinion. And it would be a real contest where the final five could include two or three bands from one country, if they were that good.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4399 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 38 of 40
12 May 2014 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Wow, I posted a short rant about Eurovision and there are five pages of posts! I haven't been logged in over the weekend.

Lot of good points here. As regards the show itself, I kind of enjoyed it, but less than some other years. Some songs were quite good, some pretty awful, some just embarassing to watch. The French guys were ridiculous, although at least they were ridiculous in French.

Serpent wrote:
I wish there was a Eurovision-like contest made specifically to promote diversity and language learning. Maybe only among minority languages like Welsh and Catalan, or only for people singing in a L2 that's not English.

There is actually such a festival, it's called Liet-Lávlut or Liet International. It seems that last time it was organised was in 2012, and the Breton singer LLeuwen won with the song Ar Goulou Bev. Other languages represented were e.g. Frisian, Gaelic, Sami, Udmurt, Asturian and Euskara. There is a Wikipedia page about it and an official website. I for one would have found it much more entertaining to watch this one instead of the Eurovision show. The next festival takes place in December this year. I hope I'll find out where and when it is broadcast.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Gollum87
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3697 days ago

31 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 39 of 40
29 May 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
It is sad that 90% of songs are in English... It would be great if countries are represented in their own languages..
My country (Serbia) has always had a song in Serbian, because our TV always wants our singers to sing in Serbian, and that is OK decision..
We even won it in our own language in 2007.. and I think it has been the only winner with no English song that won the contest in last 15 years..

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 40
29 May 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Gollum87 wrote:
We even won it in our own language in 2007.. and I think it has been the only winner with no English song that won the contest in last 15 years..

True, last time that happened was in 1998 with the song Diva (link to Wikipedia), sung in Hebrew.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version