Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 1 of 15
10 May 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Do you think there is any connection between these two skills ? I am especially curious to know if you
think that reading aloud can improve the ability to speak .
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4254 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 15
10 May 2014 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
A well-known Canadian scientist David Suzuki who hosts the TV series "The Nature of Things" on CBC TV did a
documentary about his life sometime ago. He once had trouble public-speaking. To improve the situation he would
not only read aloud, but stand in front of the mirror and recording himself while talking in English. Even when you
are learning a language, I think his way of improving his public-speaking would work.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 15
10 May 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
While it won't necessarily provide you with something to say, in my experience reading aloud absolutely does help me to say things more fluidly once I think of them. I read a couple news articles aloud each day in French and Spanish.

Of course, before you make it a regular thing you'll want to first get confirmation from native speakers that your pronunciation is at least pretty good, otherwise you might end up ingraining bad habits...

Edited by tastyonions on 10 May 2014 at 3:17pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3679 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 15
10 May 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I do that a lot, mostly because I enjoy using the language I learn without stumbling all the time (as a beginner). Also, if you have a reader with audio, like I have for turkish, it's great to compare yourself to the native reader and try to imitate him/her.

Personally it helps me a lot, because I learn how to sound more natural, I focus on pronunciation and not grammar/syntax etc., and it is fun.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 15
10 May 2014 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I've read aloud a lot in Ukrainian, and it's helped me more with listening than with speaking. Of course it's also helped me with, well, reading aloud :) My Ukrainian friend said that her fellow Russian-speaking classmates couldn't read aloud so well, although overall their level is obviously much better. But for speaking I find shadowing much more useful.

I also think that while the idea is great, it's important not to set unrealistic goals. Burnout, discouragement and abandoning the language altogether are a very real possibility if you attempt to read aloud an entire book, or everything you come across etc. It's kinda like with vocabulary learning. Several days of massive Anki or wordlists can be useful, but it's not sustainable over the long term.

Edited by Serpent on 10 May 2014 at 6:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 

Message 6 of 15
10 May 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I also think that while the idea is great, it's important not to set unrealistic goals. Burnout, discouragement
and abandoning the language altogether are a very real possibility if you attempt to read aloud an entire
book, or everything you come across etc. It's kinda like with vocabulary learning. Several days of massive
Anki or wordlists can be useful, but it's not sustainable over the long term.

I am far from risking that :-) . It is just something that I would do for no more than 20 minutes a day , not
even everyday . I am looking for strategies and tecniques to make my learning a bit more active so I
thought that it could be a good one along with self talking and some translations (only few lines here and
there ) . It seems I do not like shadowing that much , I can do that only at the very biginning stage with
something like assimil .

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 15
10 May 2014 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried Arekkusu's self-talk exercise? It's much superior to reading aloud imo.

Can you pinpoint the issues you're trying to fix with reading aloud? And in which language?

albysky
Triglot
Italy
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 

Message 8 of 15
11 May 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Have you tried Arekkusu's self-talk exercise? It's much superior to reading aloud imo.

Can you pinpoint the issues you're trying to fix with reading aloud? And in which language?

No, actually I have never heard of it , what is it about ? My target would be to enhance fluency in German
of course I do not expect miracles to happen .

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version