DoubleLive78
Diglot
United States
Joined 3638 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
19 May 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking to gauge interest in a language learning consultant. The consultant would be someone who doesn't necessarily teach you the language you're learning (like a teacher or a tutor would), but does provide you with the materials and methods to learn the language on your own. Does anyone else think this is a good idea, and would you consider it for your own learning?

If not, what kinds of issues or obstacles do you face while learning your language(s)? For me, it's finding good material that isn't boring or that creates the "textbook bubble," so to speak. What about you?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4049 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 6
19 May 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Isn't this precisely what Luca Lampariello does?
1 person has voted this message useful

DoubleLive78
Diglot
United States
Joined 3638 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 3 of 6
19 May 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm, you're actually the second person that's told me that. I've known about Luca for a while now, but I had no idea this is what he does. I haven't been following him so closely lately because he seemed to have stopped posting too frequently. Do you know what he does as a consultant?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 6
19 May 2014 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Reminds me on this thread. You can get most of that on HTLAL, including advice on getting content that doesn't exist.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 5 of 6
19 May 2014 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
That's exactly what he does. I haven't had any lessons with him yet though, so I can't tell you more about it.

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4598 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 6
21 May 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm. There'd be scope if you built up a 'brand' and marketed yourself to the right
clients e.g. rich enough and 'time poor' to gather themselves together. You get life
coaches and school consultants who give advice and whose information is readily
available to the public.

But I do see 2 major problems. Firstly, if I were a company looking for a training
package, I'd be looking for best value for money. If I'm paying good money for a
consultant/external trainer, for the same amount of money, I could get someone who
could tailor the same information to a particular language and who also knows that
language and culture and can give that 'extra value' over a generalist.

Secondly, paper certification carries a lot of weight where the money is. Do you have,
or are you willing to get qualifications in teaching/corporate
training/psychology/learning technology/linguistics etc? Plus, how good's your Mandarin
or any other non-native languages?. If you speak fluent (C1 and above for the sake of
argument), then you have proof that you know what you're talking about.

As for the normal person on the street, I wouldn't pay to meet someone to tell me about
how to do it. I'd buy a really good book. Or listen to a radio programme or tv show. Or
youtube clip. Any possibilities here?

Have you thought about life coaching in general? Maybe the languages strand could be an
extra strand to your work. Someone encouraging me on my studies while working on other
things seems to me more plausible than just the language side of things alone.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version