nancydowns
United States
Joined 3711 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 25 of 54
02 April 2014 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
I love this! It is almost like being an investigator of the language, like Sherlock Holmes of languages. You are using clues that you have and
making deductions and refining your deductions as you get more clues. So Cool! :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4919 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 26 of 54
02 April 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
I love this! It is almost like being an investigator of the language, like Sherlock Holmes of languages. You are using clues that you have and
making deductions and refining your deductions as you get more clues. So Cool! :-)

There’s definitively a bit of Sherlock Holmes in it :) But most of the time words and grammar insights just emerge on their own. I read something and all of a sudden the (usually non-verbal) thought ‘Oh, wow, that must mean X’ pops in my mind. Our brains are amazing pattern-recognition machines, and I just need to lean back and let my brain do the heavy lifting. I’m also drawing on it’s heavily parallel set-up… all those words and structures are in various stages of comprehensibility, growing additional layers of meaning on every new encounter. But, of course, there’s also a lot of back and forth, forgetting and rediscovering, and misinterpretation going on. It’s very playful, though, and makes my studies really fun. I love figuring things out. Thanks for stopping by!
4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 27 of 54
02 April 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
The key point, however, is: even though Turkish has a quite complex system of verb and noun forms, I don’t seem to need any structured introduction to its grammar in order to develop comprehension.

I sort of feel the same about Korean (which is probably fairly similar in complexity). While I did study grammar at the beginning, I've been ignoring a lot of forms for the past 2 years of individual study with native materials and it hasn't hindered my understanding a lot. I do intend to study them all with a grammar book now to get a better grasp on them and to learn how exactly I can use them. That's the method I favor - lots of input first and when words, phrases and grammatical constructions already seem familiar I study them explicitly.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4919 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 28 of 54
02 April 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like a good method. It’s much easier to appreciate grammar points you can relate back to experience.

I was wondering how similar Korean is to Turkish in terms of complexity. I’d guess that all agglutinative languages share certain features, like a zoo of noun and verb forms, endings where we have prepositions etc. What I heard makes Korean very difficult, however, is the intricate system of registers, something I hope (and believe) is not an issue in Turkish. At some point in the future I need to engage in a bit of comparative studies, agglutination is a really cool concept :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3836 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 29 of 54
02 April 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
You're inspiring me an experiment to do with Dutch.
I'm something around a1 and I am also studying
German so it's not a bootstrap, not completely.
I have two novels written in Dutch. By reading
guessing meanings along the way I should reach
similar results as you. That was my original plan
but the application was wrong since I was looking
up every word I didn't know instead of continue
reading.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4919 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 30 of 54
05 April 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
@Tristano: Good on you :) Extensive reading / reading for pleasure is a proven technique to pick up loads of vocabulary without looking anything up. I'll be checking your log to see how you fare with this approach.

This morning, I had my first session with my Turkish tutor. I actually bought a fourth Wimmelbuch, Ein Jahr in Wimmelhausen. If you follow the link, you can see one example page (the third page of the preview) and some cover pages. The cover pages are not typical for the book, but that one page is. The book contains 12 double pages, one for each month. It shows the life of a small community over a period of one year, featuring the same characters month after month. I very much like the style of the pictures, they’re cute, with attention to detail, and depict a large number of different things. Of all the Wimmelbuch books I’ve seen so far it’s my favorite.

My tutor did a great job, and I’ve got my first 90 minutes of custom-made Turkish audio! She immediately got the idea and went right into it. Speaking clearly and calmly, but entirely naturally from what I can tell, she described the many things that are in the picture. I asked her to go from left to right and from top to bottom so that I can more easily follow the recording later on, and she mostly did that. Sometimes she made references back to people or objects already discussed (comparing shapes, colors, properties etc.) which was useful as well. I understood a lot, maybe around 50%. Sometimes only individual words, sometimes entire sentences. I recognized lots of words from my science books, words like cat and dog, box, house, colors, snow, tree, star, trash, glass, bottle etc. I learned many new words like candle, wall, sleeve, stripe, to sit, open, closed, body parts, clothes etc. which I hopefully will consolidate over the course of the coming week. I picked up a bit of grammar, too, in particular markers of negation and sentence formation patterns. My plan is to listen to the recording at least twice (which takes three hours) before our next session.

I think this is a great technique which can be used even by total beginners. It’s already now an amazing feeling to listen to Turkish and actually getting the gist of it, just 5 weeks into the language. I know from my experience with Thai that this will get much, much better in a few sessions when more and more of the standard vocabulary sinks in and new words start to stand out.

Apart from that, I’ve continued working through my books. I’m now in cycle 2, book 20 out of 29. I’ll do at least one more cycle through the same set of books, there’s still so much to discover...
4 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 31 of 54
05 April 2014 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Great Bakunin! It seems your methods are working :) I think you are what they call a global learner: after a reasonable amount of chaos, suddenly it all starts to make sense.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 54
05 April 2014 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Writing this log makes it painfully obvious how much I’m on the fringe here on HTLAL. I literally know nobody who takes a similar approach to language learning in the beginner stages. Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough, but all I can see is textbooks, grammar study and translation.

Well, I don't avoid grammar entirely. But I basically use Assimil lessons as comprehensible input, and the only French grammar book I read before taking my B2 exam took me about 3 hours. Other than that, I mostly just look stuff up online if I'm curious about something I encountered. I personally find that there's no real difference between naturally comprehensible input, and input that was comprehensible after a bit of Googling, except that the latter is slower. :-)

Don't be fooled by those Egyptian glosses in my log; those look like grammar-translation, but I'm making up the grammar as I go along, confusing the various sDm=f verb tenses, and generally being grossly irresponsible. I find this vastly preferable to reading actual Egyptian grammar books, which are often ridiculously terrifying—which is odd, because Egyptian seems like a relatively sensible and logical language, just one with some odd verb forms. I have great faith that my Egyptian will eventually sort itself out with enough exposure and a bit of Googling, just like my French did.

So even if relatively few people here just pick up native materials on day 1 and dive in, your approach is certainly not too far out of the mainstream. And I just want to say that your log is completely awesome, and you make Turkish sound like a lot of fun.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version