Joined 4063 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 24
26 May 2014 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
glidefloss wrote:
and lots of sugar.

I would advise strongly against this. Eating lots of sugar will cause a spike in the glucose levels in your blood which will probably only make you hungry, fatigued and irritable, and even if it doesn't sugar is not going to help at all. If you want my recommendation for supplements then I would say cod-liver oil pills and magnesium.

Of course carbohydrates are an essential part of everyone's diet but sugar is quite literally the worst alternative.

Reasoning between my picks:
Cod-liver oil
-lots of vitamins and healthy fats, there have been some implications that taking these supplementarily might improve brain function
Magnesium
-elementary in the function of the nervous system

Probably needless to say but I'll say it anyway; never just start taking supplements because someone on the internet told you to, read into the possible effects and side-effects of each supplement before deciding whether that's something you want to put in your body.
2 persons have voted this message useful

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 10 of 24
26 May 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
I disagree with your opinions on sugar. I get most of my health information from a website that has these articles,
about sugar and fish oil:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glucose-sucrose-diabete s.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/oils-in-context.shtml

People often say that fruit is healthy and refined sugar isn't. Refined sugar is derived from plants (sugar beets, for
one), and there's no chemical reason that it would be unhealthy--sucrose is a combination of glucose and fructose.

Cod liver oil is probably very bad for brain health. It contains a large amount of poly unsaturated fats (PUFAs),
which become incorporated into the brain tissue, oxide quickly at the body's high temperature, and cause serious
damage. There was a study in which they tried to prove that giving fish oil to pregnant mothers would produce
more intelligent babies; instead they found that the babies were less intelligent than the control group in every
aspect. Saturated fats are healthy fats for mammals like us. This information is mostly from Ray Peat.

1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4063 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 24
26 May 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Possibly good information, although I didn't say fruit is healthy and refined sugar isn't (that is silly); "lots of sugar" (using the exact words you used) doesn't seem like a good idea, since the daily need for so called "simple sugars" is, according to some, not high enough so as to warrant consuming more than what a normal diet would yield. As far as I've seen, there are mountains of evidence that too much sugar in diet can cause all sorts of negative effects in the body, perhaps most notably decreased insulin response.

Regarding nutrition, everyone seems to have an opinion and I'd be hesitant to trust any one person.

I'm not inclined to take this discussion any further than this, as it is derailing the thread.

Edited by Henkkles on 26 May 2014 at 12:18pm

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 12 of 24
26 May 2014 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
The brain usually runs on glucose. Eating a lot of sugar (300-400 g per day) is good for thinking and learning.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4331 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 13 of 24
26 May 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
glidefloss wrote:
The brain usually runs on glucose. Eating a lot of sugar (300-400 g
per day) is good for thinking and learning.

Eating more than 300g of carbs per day will get you fat in no time if you are living a
sedentary life (which is implied by doing L-R for hours). It might help your thinking (I
don't know), but is it worth the side effects?

Edited by daegga on 26 May 2014 at 1:15pm

Dragon27
Diglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 4051 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 14 of 24
26 May 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:

but is it worth the side effects?

You know you’re a language nerd when it definitely is!

The originator of the method used the schedule like this:
Quote:
I worked ten to twelve hours a day. I made 15-minute breaks every 45 minutes. I did some physical exercises.

I had three meals a day. I slept eight hours a day. I was healthy.

And L-R is not for a very prolonged time anyway.

Edited by Dragon27 on 26 May 2014 at 2:35pm

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 15 of 24
29 May 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
I'm a regular weight and eat a lot of sugar. There are a lot of scientific and statistical arguments you can make for
vegetable oils causing obesity, not sugar.

I just finished the second Harry Potter book. I spent about 3 hours listening to Harry Potter 1 in my car, which was
somewhat difficult without being able to consult the English text.

I think it might have been a mistake for me to only do HP 1 once, rather than 3 times. But using the English along
side it, it's just not that interesting from a literary or artistic point of view to keep me interested many times
around. I don't mind listening to the Spanish when driving since at that point I'm interested in the new language
more than the story. A really good literary book would be ideal for multiple passes, but I'm having trouble finding
one with a Spanish audiobook.

Thanks for the audiobook websites, but albalearning for instance only has short stories. I couldn't find any novels.
I'm not adverse to buying some audiobooks but I haven't found anything in my searches.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 16 of 24
29 May 2014 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
If you want to buy audio books in Spanish look on audible.com they have tons. They also have a program where they give away two free audio books free when you sign up and create new account.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version