Joined 5808 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 17 of 24
01 June 2014 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
If you watch one video on sugar in your life watch this please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I have at times considered Coca-cola the reason for living - it was one of the few enjoyable things in life aside from
music, foreign languages, and speeding illegally on the highway. But you will only be able to notice the negatives of
it once you've gone off of sugar for about a month and then tried it again. I can't control myself and still do
consume it, but I'm at least aware that my weird overwhelming feeling of depression and an intense urge to cry
almost always correlate with a day I massively overdid the sugar. I'm sure spiking my blood sugar randomly does not
help my studies either. I'm not the typical sensitive health nut who is affected by everything, these negative effects
were really hard to notice but I'm thankful to now be aware.

If there is no difference between processed food and unprocessed (your claim about refined sugar) then you are
going to have a heck of a time explaining obesity as it exists today - because most all of the best theories - as
varied as they are - at the very least mention the amount of processed foods in the modern diet.

And to get back on topic...

I just picked up 50 Shades of Grey Spanish version for LR from the Audible.fr shop. I couldn't get a discount join
deal on the .com since I'd already been with them for years, so it made sense to sign up for the French shop and get
a good deal. All 3 volumes of 50 Shades approach 50 hours in total, so, it should be excellent for my second try. (I
did the Twilight series 2 years ago, but I'm just sick of hearing about vampires and high school romance at this
point.)

Edited by parasitius on 01 June 2014 at 1:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 18 of 24
01 June 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids) interfere with thyroid, slowing metabolism, lowering the quantity of calories
burned, contributing to obesity and other health problems. PUFA are in vegetable oils (corn oil, soy oil, canola oil,
etc.), consumption of which has drastically increased in the last century. These oils are not meant to be eaten in
these quantities by mammals and have historically never been consumed in these concentrated amounts in all of
human history until very recently. http://slatestarcodex.com/blog_images/fat1.png
1 person has voted this message useful

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 19 of 24
01 June 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Sugar, on the other hand, will actually increase the amount of calories that can be burned. In experiments, a few
hundred calories of sugar can be consumed without weight gain because the sugar increases the metabolic rate
enough to burn off the excess calories. Sugar lowers stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol and increases the
liver's production of the active thyroid hormone, T3, or triiodothyronine. I've seen Lustig's information, but I don't a
good argument in how sugar can actually cause obesity. What is the argument that starch is better than sugar?
Sugar, if consumed in fruit or fruit juice form, is associated with an abundance of vitamins and minerals--
potassium, in particular, helps regulate blood sugar, perhaps more powerfully than insulin itself.

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 20 of 24
01 June 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Anecdotally, I live in America so I know a lot of obese people (300, 350 pounds, etc.). They all restrict sugar. They
all eat semi-low protein diets, which interferes with their metabolic rate by lowering the production of thyroid
hormone in the liver. They all eat high-starch high-PUFA diets. They don't cook much themselves, and eat out
often, consuming low-sugar, high-starch, high-PUFA foods, like french fries and pizza. The metabolic rate can get
so low that a person will not lose weight even on a very low calorie diet. Sometimes obese people actually don't eat
that much food.

On the other hand, I know old (80 years) healthy thin people who daily eat a lot of ice cream (high in saturated fat,
low in PUFA) and coca cola.

Edited by glidefloss on 01 June 2014 at 11:11pm

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5808 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 21 of 24
02 June 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Interesting I didn't know there are dissenters on the sugar issue! Will have to keep my eyes open.

The only counter point I can think of is that carbohydrates, inc sugar, do not stimulate the release of the satiety
hormone leptin? Hence, eat a whole bag of candy and you'll still be just as hungry as before. This causes over-
consumption of calories and overrides the body's natural mechanisms to control appetite to match calories needed.
It could make sense from an evolutionary perspective since the body would not need any mechanism to deal with an
excess of sugar - before refined sugar the greatest sugar intake a human would ever see is fruit which is available
only when in season and which delivers very few calories in proportion to the effort required to collect it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 22 of 24
02 June 2014 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Good point about leptin. I haven't read much about it, but will try to read some more about it. There are some
tribes that did consume large amounts of sugar. The Maasai for instance used to drink over 3 liters of milk a day
sometimes, sometimes more, so they'd be getting a large amount of sugar in the form of lactose; they also would
hunt and eat honey.

I don't expect the public opinion on sugar to turn around anytime soon, but I do think that PUFA will become a
huge issue in the next decade. Many things like chips and popcorn used to use coconut oil (high in saturated fat,
very little PUFA) but now it's not even possible to find such products in the store. All chips (Bugles are the only
exception I know of) use vegetable oils. PUFA are implicated in obesity, but also other serious problems such as
Alzheimer's. Anything that interferes so powerfully with the thyroid will have a huge cascade of negative effects. It's
unfortunate that the issue does not get much accurate press.

That's cool you got those Shades of Grey books. I'm working on the third Harry Potter book now, which happens to
be one of my favorites of the series (I never cared much for #2). Are you reading along with the English, or doing
straight Spanish?

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 23 of 24
02 June 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
The Maasai are very physically active. I remember reading about them breaking treadmill stress test workouts in the 1960s.

On topic, Lord of the Rings is a pleasant read in Spanish and the audio is available at http://ivoox.com.

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 24 of 24
02 June 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I'll probably end up reading LOTR from there. It's been a long time since I've read it in English and would
like another go just for the story.

Now that I'm on the third Harry Potter book I'm really enjoying this series. It honestly feels like the book was
written by a different person altogether. It's much better and the cliches are a little more subtle. The characters are
more likable in this book, and I think it just sort of gets better as the series goes on. I forgot how different books 1
& 2 are from the rest. I think I could stand to read #3 for three more times to get a better feel of the language.

I'm not sure how to say how much I've learned so far with this method. I'm still listening to some Seinfeld episodes
in my car at work, and I browse through a page or so of a Spanish vocab book when I'm in the bathroom--I never
remember words that way. I can easily follow along between the Spanish and English at this point. I do notice when
the sentence order has been changed sometimes, or when the translation differs a little from the English--I think
some British type phrases may not translate into Spanish in an understandable way. I still have a long way to go.

Whole sentences are not popping into my head very much. I notice that listening to a short thing like a TV episode
repeatedly will get many sentences into my head when I'm not listening. I think that's because I hear the same
thing over and over. When I start to try to 'shadow' the episode, my head really gets pumped full of sentences and
words and for the next hour or so my head is a mess full of partial Spanish and French. I have a language bucket in
my head and even though it's been a long time since I studied French, when I push Spanish into the bucket, the
French starts to overflow out into my active language brain device.

Maybe I should mention, I'm planning on moving to a Spanish-speaking country at the end of the summer.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version