Tags: Study Plan
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4137 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 1 of 15
23 May 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Time management: public transport, bathroom and gym.

I would like to get some advice about how I can improve or manage my time better inside
one mean of transportation and two places I mentioned above.

When I go to the work by bus, I tend to listen to some music in my target language
because I rather prefer to relax my mind, instead of doing something else which only
causes an additional and unnecessary stress. I have tried listening to some podcast
before, but the buses motors are usually very noisy and by the time I take the bus, I
cannot help it because every day it is very crowded. Unfortunately people usually speak
very loudly and consequently I get stressed by not being able to concentrate on the
listening and not being able to get the meaning.

I have tried reading before, but I usually have a headache and I get distracted by
other people’s noise or because of other people's songs turning on their cellphones
volume to the maximum level; not to mention the fact that the buses shakes too much due
to geographical conditions and holes that I often see on the streets.

What are the other options? Is there something else better than just listening to music
I can try?

As for the gym, I must do some physical exercises to strengthen my lower and upper body
due to a medical recommendation. To be honest, I do not like the bodybuilding
exercises, but I cannot help it. I have tried training at different gyms, but the
general concept here in the city I live in (perhaps it is everywhere) is the fact that
they turn on the music very loud. I found it a waste of time to be obliged to listen to
some popular songs that have not much meaning, at least, for my standard and my own
taste. I have bought an Ipod which I use in the bus and yesterday I tried using it at
the gym.

My training endures an average time of one hour, not considering the stretching which
is not that long. I thought about listening to some podcast which I can concentrate
depending on the areas of the gym I am doing the exercises. Yesterday I could listen to
the music I have inserted into my Ipod some weeks ago.

Besides the podcast and music, what else would you recommend me? My other idea was to
write down some vocabulary words into a paper sheet and bring it to the gym. It could
be any paper that someone would throw away. I usually use its back to write something.
I also could print something; bring a small notebook or even a small book which
contains phrases in my target language.

My cellphone was robbed when I was assaulted and it has been very common in my life.
Therefore, I am using an old cellphone. It is still a smartphone that I use only for
calling purposes. Its screen doesn’t help me much for reading. I also would find
difficult to read something because the 3G service offered by the telephone company has
not improved for years, at least, not in this city.

Concerning the bathroom, I know that this might be very rude, impolite or weird for
some people here since there are a variety of cultural backgrounds here. I will
apologize for that.

I have talked to some elders in this town and they have told me that they read
newspapers while they are in the restroom. Among the elders, there are also those who
listen to news by radio or even music. I have recently purchased an Ipod for working
purposes, but I am using it at home for reading and watching some videos as well. I
thought about listening to something while I am showering or shaving.

It would be a waste of time if I ignore all those “free time” I have in a day. I may
say that one hour at bus; one at the gym; 10-40 minutes waiting at the bus stop; and X
minutes at the restroom could be used in a more efficient way.

How do you guys use your time on the three places I specified on this thread?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 15
23 May 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
You can get some ideas in this thread.
I personally need music while reading during a commute. I used to need instrumental music but now I can use music with lyrics too.

Also, don't underestimate mental practice. You can simply make random sentences in your head/think in L2/translate what you see&hear etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 15
23 May 2014 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
First of all, don't stress yourself to clock in the extra minutes when the effort outweighs the quality of those minutes.

I personally read books or listen to podcasts in public transport because that gives me something to concentrate on other than other people's conversations.
It is possible to reduce the distraction by using ear plugs for reading, or noise cancelling headphones or something to muffle outside noise (meaning you also don't have to put the volume as high), but it only makes sense when doing that doesn't mean you're stressed out more by doing it regularly.

As for the gym and doing personal hygiene, I personally think those moments are best left to concentrating on what you are doing, not on taking in new information. Apart from that being more efficient and less prone to errors and accidents in many cases - our brain also needs breaks.
Well, I do listen to podcasts when taking walks, but I find I can't really take in the information when I'm jogging or doing more complex exercises.

Edited by Bao on 23 May 2014 at 3:37pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 15
23 May 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I believe that given the constraints you have with the loud noise on the bus and at the gym, you could perhaps use this time to have a conversation with yourself in your target language. For example you could decide to do an interview with a historical person. You then have to conduct the interview and answer all the questions as that person. Suppose you decide that you will interview "Miyamoto Musashi" (who is the only historical Japanese person I know) and you complete an imaginary interview with him in your head.

You (in your head, in your TL): Hello Miyamoto Musashi, please tell tell our audience about yourself.
Him (in your head, in your TL): My name is Miyamoto Musashi. I was born in 1584 in the in Harima Province. I wrote the book Gorin no Sho ....

You keep this interview going the whole time in your head, and if you come across a word in the target language you don't know, you write it down in your native language and look it up later. This helps you to identify vocabulary you don't know, and to use your target language without the need for books, iPods, or other physical materials, other than a bit of paper and pencil.

The advantage of having imaginary interviews or conversations is that you are using the language just like you would when speaking to someone. If you were to just sit and try to say the TL word for everything you see then you will only use nouns. This method lets you use a lot of verbs, past, present, and future tense.

In the toilets... I'll leave that to you.

6 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5169 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 15
23 May 2014 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Noise cancelling headphones should be helpful. They work fine for me with yelling kids around me. I hardly even notice the noise.

What type of workout do you do in the gym? Can you bring a book? That's what I did. I'd simply read for the 4-6 minutes between each workout.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5855 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 15
23 May 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
You seem to have an amazing set of constraints.

I also have the concentration problems you mention. One thing that works for me is a small tablet I have, loaded with all kinds of texts in .epub and .pdf formats.

I guess you probably own one already and, if not, well... you live in Japan, right? Buying one shouldn't set you back a lot.

Anyway, you can load the tablet at home with light stuff and read it in most places. I'd advise against reading it on the bus, but the gym would be ok. No need to rely on good wi-fi, or whatever (since you'll only be reading the stuff you uploaded at home).

Edited by Luso on 23 May 2014 at 9:30pm

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 7 of 15
24 May 2014 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
I also have the concentration problems you mention. One thing that works for me is a small tablet I have, loaded with all kinds of texts in .epub and .pdf formats.

I guess you probably own one already and, if not, well... you live in Japan, right? Buying one shouldn't set you back a lot.

I don't know... those things can be expensive in Japan unless they are second-hand. My little 16 GB Android Walkman cost almost 20,000 yen (roughly 200 USD). iPads cost at least three times that much.

But other than pricing, I totally agree. Those kind of devices help out a lot. The Android Walkman is especially useful for the restroom, because you can operate it with one hand, freeing your other hand to... well... you know. Just make sure to keep the Walkman clean!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 15
24 May 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'll admit it...I use my phone to do anki reps in the bathroom. Ha!

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version