Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 9 of 15
24 May 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
This discussion reminds me of the series of books in Spanish called "Cuentos breves para leer en ..."

link

Edited by embici on 24 May 2014 at 4:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 10 of 15
25 May 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
There are certain radio programs I'd listen to. Some portable devices have access to the Internet or a
portable DVD player so sometime I'd be watching a foreign film / video with subtitles / captions. All the
shaking is bad for your eyes so I'd stick to listening to a radio program. The problems with listening to
songs is that some of the time the lyrics gets faded with the tune so you don't always hear every word
pronounced clearly.

Edited by shk00design on 25 May 2014 at 8:42pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 11 of 15
26 May 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
@Luso: the situation mentioned is typically Brazilian...

For shorter/unexpected breaks SRS is a good choice: Anki or Memrise at your smartphone.
Take a physical book or maybe printed excerpts for the commutes, since carrying on a tablet is too risky. If you're going to work on your weaker languages, you'll need a smaller amount of text each day. You can, for example, print 4 A4-pages, two with text in the language your studying and 2 in Portuguese (or English, or Spanish) and read the texts intensively, word per word then sentence per sentence then paragraph per paragraph. That will replace the texbook study you don't have time for. You can pick wikipedia articles, international news from sites that have news in several languages (BBC, Deutsche Welle, Radio Free Europe, NHK) or short tales/excerpts from novels. You read the original first then the translation (or the other way round, what works better for you) and you pay attention to which words cause doubt. It will be difficult to mark or take notes on a crowded bus, but maybe once you're home you can list what caused raised the most doubts - the different phrasings, why something was said differently.

Podcast lessons are also an option for commuting. You can alternate lessons that are probably given in English, like the beginner-intermediate ones from languageclass101/languagepod101 and podcasts for natives, with 10, 15 minutes of audio entirely in the target language. That will help you get used to the sound of the language.

Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4137 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 12 of 15
27 May 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Thank you everybody for your advices. :D

+ Serpent

I am happy to read the thread you suggested me because now I feel like I am less
“weirdo” than I thought.

+ Bao

I will try to find a better ear plugs somewhere in the downtown.

+ rdearman

I actually do this kind of stuff in the gym. It is a good way to keep trying think
quick and indeed it would be useful for speaking.

+ james 29

I basically do bodybuilding focusing on strength balanced with resistance exercises for
general body (legs, calves, chest, back, shoulders, biceps, traps, triceps, and torso).
I can bring book which is not common, but who cares. I don’t care whether other people
find me weird or not. My workout has 30 seconds to 1 minute of rest between each set,
but still it is one minute that I can do something.

+luso

No, I don’t live in Japan.

+ stelle
:D

+ embici

I know this series. :D

+ shk00design

I totally agree with you. All the shaking is so bad to my eyes that I would stick with
some audio too. Indeed, some words are not clearly sung, but there is no problem
because I can always check the lyrics later on.

+ expugnator

I liked very much your idea. Today I read exactly the same article taken from DW in
German and English. I like to read original and its translations (not necessarily in
this order).

I think I will download anki for my smartphone.

The roads are like the image from the following page:
https://www.google.com.br/search?
q=ruas+esburacadas+no+Brasil&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source =univ&sa=X&ei=dOyEU5OhH-
fL8wHegoD4DA&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

And no, I am not exaggerating. I should have taken a photo today. :D

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 15
27 May 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
haha familiar, about the roads :/
and you've just admitted that you use google/internet in your native language, perhaps more than necessary. that's a bigger time-waster than the 1-minute breaks at the gym.
of course i know that sometimes you really find the best information in L1, but in general that's a habit of those who study a language for 3-7 hours a week and forget about it outside of these hours.

Edited by Serpent on 27 May 2014 at 11:30pm

Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4137 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 14 of 15
28 May 2014 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Haha familiar about those kind of people who forget about using the language outside
those hours you said.

Fortunately none of your statements apply for me. :D

Edited by Tomohiro on 28 May 2014 at 12:57am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 15
28 May 2014 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Yeah but when you use the Internet in your native language, always think whether you really need to :) aren't you curious whether other countries know about those roads in Brazil? ;)

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version