Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mandarin? Japanese? Characters or Speech?

Tags: Japanese
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 19
26 May 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice.

I'm thinking about starting to study an Asian language. I want to learn both Mandarin & Japanese, I have no preference as regards to which one I should do first, but I don't have time to do 2 at once, and still keep going with my other studies. So the advice I'm looking for here is would learning one before the other give me any benefit when I start the second? In otherwords does knowing Chinese help you learn Japanese, or vice versa?

Another question is; should I learn to speak first or memorise the characters first? The reason I'm asking this question is because for the next year or so I'm only going to spend 1 hour a day on the Asian language, because I really want to get my French & Italian up to a point where I feel more fluent.

And finally, is this just a distraction I don't need? The pull of a new and shiny language I should ignore until I have accomplished my goals in the Romance languages?

Any advice or opinions on any of these questions would be gratefully received.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4509 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 2 of 19
26 May 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
1 - From what I've heard, yes, but not much. Learning the characters for one will definitely help you when learning the other, but many of them changed a lot with time, so don't expect it to be only flowers.

2 - I'd say speaking, but you have to set your own goal. The characters are important only if you want to read in Japanese. I chat every single day with several Japanese people and they type with me in Hiragana and Katakana (the sillabaries), given that I don't know Kanji (the Chinese characters) yet. Also, I can have 1 hour lessons spoken in Japanese on Italki, but I can't read almost anything from Japan (except media with furigana on top - furigana is the reading of the Kanji written in Hiragana).
Meaning: if you wanna chat with Japanese people, be it text or voice, you don't really need the Kanji that much. If you wanna read manga, it depends... some of them have furigana on top of the Kanji, but most don't, so learning the Kanji would be good.

As for Chinese, there's pinyin, but I'm not sure if Chinese people know how to write in it. Still, Benny Lewis managed to have several chats with Chinese people during his trip without knowing any Hanzi (character), so it really depends on your goal for the language.

3 - It depends... I tend to do that a lot.... I started with Japanese before getting my French to B2, which might not have been a great decision, but I'm loving Japanese so I don't regret it.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 26 May 2014 at 5:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5753 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 19
26 May 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Since you're a native English speaker and are talking about only 1 hr a day to study a language that is considered among the most difficult for English speakers, I'd go with the AJATT approach and learn the Kanji/Hanzi as foundational building blocks to later build on....this assumes that the characters are not intimidating for you. Of course, you might just want to delay until there's more time to devote to Japanese/Chinese.

Good luck!

Edited by Snowflake on 26 May 2014 at 10:37pm

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 19
26 May 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
1 - I doubt it really matters which one you learn first in terms of efficiency. You'll get a discount on Chinese characters and some vocabulary whichever one you start with, but it won't be the same level of discount that you'd get moving from, say, one Romance language to another.

2 - Learn speaking and writing at the same time. You can cover the fundamentals without learning writing at all, but in the case of Japanese, if you learn kana right away it will give you access to a wider range of learning materials. Chinese characters can be learned incrementally while you get to grips with the rest of the language. They help with vocabulary building and, as with vocabulary learning in general, there is no need to digest it all at once.

3 - If you do it properly it will take a long time compared to a Romance language. Only you have the answer to whether you can find that time or not. In the mean time, there's no harm in trying a language on to see how it fits!
4 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 5 of 19
27 May 2014 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Besides a few loan words, Chinese & Japanese are totally different languages with completely different
grammar rules. It's like learning German & Italian at the same time. They belong to totally different
family of languages.

From my personal experience although Chinese uses Pinyin phonetics but they would never replace the
characters with an alphabetic substitute like Vietnamese, Japanese or Korean. A lot of second-
generation Chinese in my part of the world learned to speak the mother-tongue fluently but had not
learned to write a single character besides their given name.

The Japanese language can be expressed completely with their own alphabet although they prefer to
use some Chinese characters. I've noticed a lot of Japanese songs on videos for Karaoke singing come
with subtitles in both alphabetic & Chinese characters. And usually over the Chinese characters you'd
find 1 or several tiny alphabetic characters on top. You can follow an entire song by reading the
Japanese alphabet without knowing a single Chinese character.

The 2 languages are too far apart to say which is easier or which should you start with. Even the basic
greetings such as the equivalent of "Hello" on the phone: 喂 (wéi) in Chinese もしもし (moshi moshi) in
Japanese is many miles apart. Learning Chinese is going to help you progress in your Japanese which is
written with some Chinese characters. However, you can learn both languages phonetically and
independently without reading a single Chinese character.

Chinese people are proud of their heritage and their characters and many were taught to learn by rogue
memorization. Many tend to learn English the same way by remembering the sounds of entire words
instead of putting them together phonetically by syllables.

Take a simple Chinese introduction: Nǐhǎo, wǒ shì Yīngguórén.
If you pronounce the above phrase correctly or close enough, a Chinese person would know that you
said: "How are you? I'm English". The character equivalent would be: 你好, 我是英國人.
Since each character have no indication how it is pronounced, I'll try to learn all the basic phrases
phonetically and introduce the characters later.

How do you master the characters? For someone like myself I can read a newspaper comfortably but do
occasionally come across an unknown character. This is normal even for fluent Chinese-speakers. I have
Chinese installed on my computer dictionary. It is 1 single dictionary that allow you to switch between
languages with a click of a button. Every time I look up an English word, I'd click on Chinese to see the
equivalent. After a while I learn to recognize many characters.

When it comes to TV programming & movies, I watch a lot of Mandarin programs from Singapore since
most contain both Chinese captions & English subtitles.

Edited by shk00design on 27 May 2014 at 7:50am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6344 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 6 of 19
27 May 2014 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
In otherwords does knowing Chinese help you learn Japanese, or vice versa?
I think it's about a draw. Choose the
one for which you have the greatest motivation to learn, if you have a preference.
rdearman wrote:
Another question is; should I learn to speak first or memorise the characters first?
If by "speak" you mean converse,
neither. Learn pinyin and pronunciation first. After that, I recommend using the mnemonic technique taught by Heisig, not to systematically
learn thousands of characters, but to learn the characters of the vocabulary as you encounter it during your well structured
synergistic
language learning plan.
shk00design wrote:
And finally, is this just a distraction I don't need? The pull of a new and shiny language I should ignore until I have
accomplished my goals in the Romance languages?
Yes. Learn one of your other language to C1/C2, repeat with the next one, then
start your Asian language.
shk00design wrote:
Nǐhǎo, wǒ
You typed the tones correctly, but the 3rd tone shows up as a 1st tone on my browser.By the way,
what do you think of
this guy's
Cantonese?

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 7 of 19
27 May 2014 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Despite being a tonal language, Mandarin Chinese can be learned easily without the characters because
the grammar rules are simpler and there is no subject-verb conjugation like European languages.

Between Mandarin & Cantonese I find that most foreigners tend to have a much easier time with
Mandarin pronunciation because it has fewer tones (just 4) while Cantonese has 9. Unless you live in
Hong Kong since a young age (such as TVB actress Corinna Chamberlain with parents from Down
Under), most foreigners tend to speak Cantonese with noticeable accent.

Time is a big factor. Definitely focus on getting the languages you started already. Once you mastered
them with confidence, you start learning Chinese & Japanese.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 8 of 19
27 May 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Some great advice, thank you, thank you, thank you. I suppose the question I really want answered for both Chinese and Japanese:

Given the constraint of having only 1 hour per day to study for the next 20 months. Would I be better off spending my time concentrating on memorisation of script, or speaking (aka pimsluer/FSI/other)

Just to expand a little on my situation. I'm doing the Super Challenge in French & Italian, and I hope to be C1 (at least) in them by the end of the 20 months of the challenge. So this is why I don't want to dedicate more than 1 hour a day to anything else, the super challenge is already a time-sink.

I have an equal interest in Japanese and Chinese and fully intend to learn both eventually. I'll be 50 this year, and most people estimate 10+ years on Mandarin or Japanese, which is why I'm thinking if I'm going to do this I need to get started because 20 years is a long time, and I ain't getting any younger!

Prof. Arguelles mentioned in a video that he only 'wrote' Chinese and didn't really speak it. I thought I could spend the next 20 months while doing the super challenge in Fr & It, just memorising as many traditional Chinese characters (or Japanese Kanjii) as possible in that time. Hense my previous question about learning characters. Is learning characters without speech an exercise in futility?

Another option is to just spend the 20 months doing FSI or Pimsluer, repeatedly and concentrate on speech/pronunciation.

I've decided to go ahead and give one hour to either Chinese or Japanese in some fashion, in blatant disregard for all the good advice telling me not too. (They are too shiny!!!)

So in your opinion which of these would be the best option.

1) Spend 1 hour every day just learning script, aka memorise.
2) Spend 1 hour every day listening & repeating, aka Pimsluer
3) Split the hour equally between both.
4) Some other option you know and I don't because you're smarter and more experienced than me.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version