Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mandarin? Japanese? Characters or Speech?

Tags: Japanese
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4137 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 17 of 19
27 May 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Generally speaking, no matter what are the levels of linguistics similarity, learning
one language will give you benefits to learn another one, either direct or indirectly.
It will broaden your mind in terms of different linguistics possibilities. For
instance, different features such as in phonology, morphology, syntactic or lexicon etc
will appear in your target language. This process will be a plus for you to learn
another one because in such situation, you will need to confirm whether your usual
method will work well for the new language or not. If not, you will need to think about
another way to keep your studying method efficient.

Because your target language is from a different language family group, it doesn’t mean
that it will take more time for you to master it. It is not necessarily a rule.

Concerning your questions, all depends on your short-term and long-term goals.

10 years on Mandarin or Japanese is what other people have estimated. Who are they to
estimate the amount of years one will spend in other to achieve a high level in any
language? Don’t limit yourself by what others say, even though by statistics most
people have spent 10 years! The amount of years depends on you, in your goals,
determination, discipline, learning methodology, schedule etc. People have different
backgrounds, goals etc. Anyway, you can read about other people's achievements and big
hurdles so far. Take notes about what you think that can help you to make your method
more efficient.

Regarding the other four questions, it depends on the language you choose. Second, I
think you should have an idea about what you want to read, listen to, with whom to
speak etc before you choose.

Just as a matter of curiosity, the website below says that according to a research, “if
you are familiar with the 500 most common characters in Chinese then you can read 75%
of modern Chinese. If you know 1000 characters, you can read 89%. 2000 characters gives
you 97% coverage. When you are reading Chinese you will find that the same characters
appear again and again and gradually become more familiar”. I read the original article
written in 2008 by a Chinese linguist, but I could not find it.

http://fluentinmandarin.com/content/how-many-chinese-charact ers-do-you-need-to-know/

I have never counted the number of characters I have learned in Chinese, but it is more
likely that the research is close to the reality for foreigners who I have talked to.

Once you set your goals and chose a language, you can always start a log on this HTLAL,
so that some people who are native speakers and other students of your target language
can give you more precise advice. You can always improve your time management by
reading other people’s log as well. For instance, Expugnator is one guy who is a master
of time management and juggling. Serpent, is also quite adept at studying several
languages simultaneously. Reading about their logs may help you improve your time
optimization in both French and Italian while you start learning Chinese or Japanese.

Expugnator’s log:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37591&PN=1

My ideas are not well organized, I know. Just another comment before I post my reply.

The general rule for me is always to have many possible things to do, including some
that can be done even in noisy, tiring ((the queue at the bank kills me...) or crowded
places, and then I choose in the same way as I would choose from a well stocked buffet
table in a restaurant or a very cozy cafe. I can't see the point in keeping track of
the minutes you will spend. How do you compare half an hour spend on a hard and
intensive activity in a new target language to relaxed reading in a well known language
with the TV blaring in the background?

What I mean is that we are not robots; therefore, I cannot tell you to split your time
equally in both. It depends on many other factors.

Edited by Tomohiro on 27 May 2014 at 10:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 19
27 May 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
10 years is way too long to make any meaningful goals.

Make a goal for a timespan you can actually appreciate, like 2 months, 6 weeks, even half
a year... but 10 years... I can't even decide what I want for dinner each night.
3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6344 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 19 of 19
28 May 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

1) Spend 1 hour every day just learning script, aka memorise.
2) Spend 1 hour every day listening & repeating, aka Pimsluer
3) Split the hour equally between both.
4) Some other option you know and I don't because you're smarter and more experienced than me.

In the long run, you'd be better off waiting. But ignoring that advice
4) learn pronunciation and kana (japanese) or pronunciation and pinyin (Mandarin), then use Pimsleur with a
transcript per
this old
rule of thumb - always start with pronunciation/script

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version