14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3708 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 1 of 14
06 June 2014 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
At present I am within a month (of study time, not an actual month) of the first level of fluency in french(this is my current target language). I'm sort of add and seem to need more than one of something to do, so my backup language is Mandarin, I'm also getting started on my next target language which is Russian. Is this an unusual assortment of languages for a polyglot? If you speak more than one foreign language what are your combinations?
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 14
06 June 2014 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
In this part of the world we have immigrants from all over. Many of them came from places where
English is not common or widely spoken. When they get here, many of them would enrol in ESL classes
and eventually become bilingual (fluent in their native language as well as English). We see people from
places like Ethiopia, Somalia in Africa, China, Russia, Poland, etc.

Learning a language because you move to a new country isn't the same as if you are learning it as a
hobby. For interest you can choose which to get into but living somewhere you need to learn the local
language for correspondence. You normally don't think of languages like Ethiopian & English as being
odd because 1 is your mother-tongue you speak at home and the other is the local language.

When it comes to learning Mandarin, I came across a singer "Emmanuel Uwechue" originally from
Nigeria in W. Africa. He moved to China over 10 years ago and started his singing career only in English.
And then he decided he could reach a larger audience in Mandarin. After spending 1 year learning half-
dozen songs phonetically he became a star singing everything from folk, pop songs and melodies from
Peking Operas. I don't think he finds it odd to go from his native language to English and then
Mandarin.

And then the singers of the Soler band Dino & Julio Acconci of Italian ancestry who were born in Macao
and living in Hong Kong. Both are fluent in Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, English, Cantonese &
Mandarin all at or close to the native level. Members of the original Abba band from the 1970s were
also multilingual who sang in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish & Swedish. Singers tend to be
flexible with languages whether they are from the same family or not.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3894 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 3 of 14
06 June 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Why does it matter whether it's an unusual combination or not?

As far as the languages go, they're all seemingly very popular languages on this forum so I doubt it's an incredibly unusual combination "for a polyglot", but for your first three foreign languages it might be since that excludes almost everyone who isn't a native Anglophone (i.e. those who had to learn English as a first foreign language), for example.

My own combination of foreign languages is as indicated on the left: English, French, and Breton (you may also want to count the two languages I studied at university but don't maintain, or the two languages I maintain but never studied — I don't, though). Not a very "unusual combo", but I don't care. I don't learn languages for glory. I started learning English because that's what was spoken on all the good children's TV shows (we had satellite), I started learning French because I loved holidaying in France when I was a child, and I started learning Breton because I now live in Brittany and it's the native language of most people in my village. I may choose to add Arabic, a very long-term love-interest, to that later, but right now I'm actually leaning more towards the much less impressive choice of Italian since I consume more Italian than Arabic media, know that it'd be easier to lose myself in the culture, and I'm more likely to travel frequently to Italy now that I live in France and don't excavate in the Middle East any more.

So, why does it matter?
2 persons have voted this message useful

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4370 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 4 of 14
06 June 2014 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
I would say that is slightly unusual for some people but seems pretty normal. However, I am studying German and in
the future I hope to study Russian, Japanese/Mandarian/Korean, Arabic and Spanish. I personally don't think that it
really matters what languages you study as long as you enjoy studying them.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 5 of 14
06 June 2014 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
At present I am within a month (of study time, not an actual month) of the first level of fluency in french(this is my current target language). I'm sort of add and seem to need more than one of something to do, so my backup language is Mandarin, I'm also getting started on my next target language which is Russian. Is this an unusual assortment of languages for a polyglot? If you speak more than one foreign language what are your combinations?

Among people who are not language enthusiasts it will be an unusual mix of languages I think. But, to be fair, they're all major players with plenty of speakers and importance.

But does it matter. The question you should be asking yourself is whether you have time and energy to start two demanding, from the perspective of a native English speaker, languages(Russian and Mandarin) at once.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 14
06 June 2014 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
...I'm sort of add and seem to need more than one of something to do, so my backup language is Mandarin, I'm also getting started on my next target language which is Russian. Is this an unusual assortment of languages for a polyglot?

If I were on the threshold of basic fluency in French as my first foreign language, I wouldn't be satisfied with that, I'd want to take it higher. I'd want to fully explore it. Watch TV series. Read books. Go to France, Montreal and Guadeloupe. I'd want to be able to hold an effortless conversation with a native-speaker about any subject in which I may be interested. The language is more about the cultures and people who speak it to me.

That's just the difference in learners and learning styles/objectives. Nothing wrong with wanting to take up Mandarin and or Russian after having reached basic fluency in French. Your French will advance much more slowly with the addition of two new, more difficult, languages. If you're alright with that, go for it. We all have different destinations we want to reach. Bonne chance.

Edited by iguanamon on 06 June 2014 at 11:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 14
06 June 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
At present I am within a month (of study time, not an actual month) of the first level of fluency in french(this is my current target language).

What is this based on?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 14
06 June 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:

For people who revolve in the world of FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish), then your learning Russian and Mandarin could give the impression to them that you're going out on a limb linguistically.

Other than that, I don't consider the combination unusual. I think that you should learn anything because you want to learn it and/or need it.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version