Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

John McWhorter - The Language Hoax

Tags: Linguistics | Book
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
69 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 65 of 69
13 June 2014 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
But Icelandic, Chechen, Lithuanian, and Russian are just plain irregular, Russian has motion verbs as a unique feature, but other than that, the ones I listed don't necessarily display greater semantic or syntactical distinction as much as Navajo or greater than English for example, they are just more irregular and require more agreement between words that doesn't do much except exist.

The agreement allows for a more flexible word order. For learners this means that what you say can sound odd or emphasize the wrong thing (like intonation mistakes), but syntactical mistakes almost never impede comprehension, when they are even considered mistakes.

Quote:
I know man, we keep on hearing "I have more trouble with my native language than English, so making music in English is a better way to reach out"

That's become a self-fulfilling prophecy or something. It's very natural that when most music in a given genre is in English, it's easier to write your own songs in English too (there are more than enough other difficulties when you start your own band). And the more people do this, the more existing music is in English.

Edited by Serpent on 13 June 2014 at 10:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3828 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 66 of 69
13 June 2014 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
Yes, we need a different metric, people need to look at other language's complexity
outside Indo European complexity. They expect inflection to be natural for all languages with the ones without being
odd.

When I mentioned East Asian languages, the main point is not the lack of inflection but the lack of boundaries in
words and the lack of grammaticalization as well. They bring what is just necessary to introduce new information,
but like I said, mood, definiteness, plurality, and tense are matters of inference and conversation. Just having plurals
for example means one must distinguish mass and countable nouns in speech for example. Transitivity and more
are not there either etc. very little boundary in putting a sentence together. There is a hidden complexity.
If you want the opposite, well:
I never talked about Chechen/Ingush but its agreement and random gender are worse, and words change gender in
plurals. One has to memorize if a verb or adjective must change for gender and whether a noun attaches the
postposition to the bare stem or dative by heart. The noun system is like Icelandic and the verb system is like
Navajo in irregularity. V2. word order and verbs require different cases for the subject even, split alignment etc.

Semantic distinction is like having modal verbs, motion verbs, extra demonstratives, different persons, paucal vs
plural etc. Its distinction in the grammar that is over specified in defining things where context would be used in
languages without some of them.
Syntactic is knowing that "I want him to go" involves a non finite verb following showing the previous word is an
object in the sentence. Or knowing what triggers the subjunctive etc. Words can be stacked in East Asian languages
without worrying about what is what in a sentence, and written works need extra brackets, hyphens, and
punctuation.

To Serpent,
The irregularity and the fact there are different ways of modifying a word just to add basic information that is
mandatory is the problem.
Aspect pairs for example, why not an auxiliary or inflection? Nope, to explain differences one must memorize pairs
of words since there is no method of getting one from the other that is consistent, which would be fine if the verbs
weren't an open class. I used an example back of imaging a language with no negative adverb, one had to memorize
the negative form of every single word in said language, and that there are 50 different ways a word could be
modified.
It is that there may be 8-20 different suffixes for forming the genitive, dative, and instrumental respectively with
numerous morphological exception. Just stating that something belongs to someone else requires memorizing
which form that word uses.
The case system isn't folly though, as in something like Sanskrit where the endings are pretty much the same for
every word except for regular sandhi and some exceptions, where the cases still have their original purpose instead
of being extra places to store preposition agreement.

Edited by Stolan on 13 June 2014 at 11:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4104 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 67 of 69
14 June 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Can you give some linguistic evidence for what you say about east asian syntax? For
example, is there no linguistic distinction between "you pay me" and "I pay you", only
contextual clues?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5395 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 68 of 69
14 June 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I used an example back of imaging a language with no negative adverb, one had to memorize the negative form of every single word in said language

Well, there is a language, which does these crazy things, when doing negation:

deirim (I say) : ní abraím (I do not say)
ghním (I make) : ní theánaim (I do not make)
chuaigh mé (I went) : ní dheachaigh mé (I did not go)
táim (I am) : nílim (I am not)

Older forms of the language may have had a greater number of these variations. This does happen of course in an indo-european language :-))

Edited by Cabaire on 14 June 2014 at 12:42am

5 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5763 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 69
14 June 2014 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
This thread is being closed by request. It has gone too far off-topic, and while the discussion is largely excellent and informative, it's more helpful for all of us who read and write here to try to stay on track.

Discussions about linguistics, linguistic hypotheses and even controversies are welcome here, and can be continued in other threads. Language superiority/inferiority, however, has been very distracting and disruptive in the past here, and does not belong on this forum.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version