Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5944 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 11
11 June 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
When I dabble in a language for travelling purposes, I normally pick up several decent sized courses to learn as much as possible before a trip. For a recent excursion to Sweden, I decided to try a method Benny has mentioned, which is to use a phrasebook. I chose the Berlitz Swedish Phrasebook with CD. I spent four weeks listening to the CD, and learning off phrases from the book. The grammar explanations are extremely light and I found myself craving a typical course. I resisted, ploughed on with the experiment, and the results were quite surprising. I seemed to learn as much from demolishing the phrasebook as I would from passing through a typical course. With no additional waffle, the parallel English\Swedish audio contained more phrases than a typical TY or Colloquial course. After a couple of weeks, I found I was inferring grammar rules, and could adapt the sentences for my own use. I ended up speaking far more Swedish than I would’ve thought possible in such a short time and with such a small little book.
10 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4431 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 11
11 June 2014 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Interesting take on a resource which is often scorned(by me at least). Come to think of it, last year when I
went to Argentina I did find myself sometimes wishing I had set phrases for what should have been
obvious tasks, but had to make up on the spot using my imperfect course book based Spanish.

Edited by AlexTG on 11 June 2014 at 2:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3892 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 3 of 11
11 June 2014 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Very cool! It makes me wonder, though, if you'd make as much progress if…

a) you weren't already experienced in language studies, or

b) you were attempting to pick up a language that isn't already very close to your native language (or other languages you speak at or near native level).

I'm not knocking the method, I'm just curious about its limitations (all methods have limitations after all).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5358 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 11
11 June 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
I use this method as well - generally, though, after a shortish grammar course like
Michel Thomas or Hugo In Three Months.    

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3840 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 5 of 11
12 June 2014 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Hi, how did you memorize the sentences? how many?
Which percentage of completion and with how much
average study time per day? Sorry for the
interrogatory, I would like to understand if can I
apply this technique to Icelandic for my
forthcoming visit. Thanks!

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4101 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 6 of 11
12 June 2014 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
This is something that dekaglossai, before he left youtube with no explanation, also
advocated. It makes complete sense to me and I'll try it with my Spanish phrasebook to
round off my core knowledge now that I'm close to finishing my Assimil and Linguaphone
courses.

As I imagine it, the phrases will have a good likelihood of sticking if you can fully
imagine yourself using them (everyday situations such as they are), and the
psychological effect of them being ESSENTIAL phrases must also aid the memory. I like
the idea of using it as a primer to a proper course, in order to facilitate speaking.
If I can find a phrasebook with a CD for my next language, I would definitely consider
this as a first course!

Without a CD to go with my Spanish phrase book, I will simply write out all the content
in the book 2 or 3 times in the scriptorium, reading them aloud as I write, and I would
then annotate the text with the grammatical information in several colors (verb tense,
gender, gender agreement and preposition collocation).

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 7 of 11
12 June 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Travelling abroad is 1 thing. If you just visit a place for a week or 2 most people would be happy just to
stick to English. Unless you are going to be staying in a place for a few months then you need to start
communicating in the local language.

There are good phrase books around but rather doubtful whether knowing a few phrases can get you
very far when it comes to shopping, ordering from local restaurants or discussing politics with the
locals. Definitely need more than a few months to be fluent enough to carry on a conversation.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4101 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 8 of 11
12 June 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
But... who said... why do you... how come... what?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version