Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5944 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 11
12 June 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
As an answer to some of the questions, I spent about two to three hours a day studying the phrasebook, over a period of four weeks. I’ve dabbled in Danish previously and this helped a bit, as they’ve similar grammatical concepts. The CD helped immensely and I listened to it so many times I could recite the sentences fluently. About half my time was spent listening to the CD. The transliteration was close for pronunciation purposes, but linking to the CD was its major benefit.

If I was in Sweden for two weeks, I probably would’ve started studying earlier. I was only there for three days. I’ve a very low threshold for deciding to learn a language, and any trip abroad will act as a trigger. My capabilities were quite limited but I could order in shops, restaurants and understand a decent bit of the response. I couldn’t discuss politics, immigration or any A2\B1 level topics. I was very surprised by people not switching to English, which they can speak fluently.

I’ll will use this method again, but couple it with a good grammar book. It’s very handy to have a lot of pre-made sentences you can use without worrying about conjugations, declinations and getting the word order right on the fly.

5 persons have voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6150 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 11
14 June 2014 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
((. The CD helped immensely and I listened to it so many times I could recite the sentences fluently. About
half my time was spent listening to the CD. ))

Daragh, did you find it a problem when memorizing the CD sections, that the phrases are always in the same
order?

When I tried something similar, after many repetitions, I would memorize it so well that I was able to recite
from memory in the target language, the next phrase coming up, before the recording even prompted for it,
but . . .

I found that if I tried to come up with one of the words or phrases randomly isolated from the list order, either
English to target or vice versa, I would get them all mixed up.

I didn't spend much time on it for that reason, but I'm wondering if you experienced anything similar early on,
but improved on it with lots of additional practice.

Edited by TerryW on 14 June 2014 at 8:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 11 of 11
17 June 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I've often considered doing this with the Lonely Planet phrasebooks that contain a CD. Anyone familiar with the audio for these books?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version