United Kingdom
Joined 4819 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 23
21 June 2014 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Dbag, when you stay in a hostel do you stay in the "dorm" rooms where there are several other people/strangers or do you get a private room?

Yep, practically always. They are usually just as comfortable as a private room, but loads cheaper, which is important if you are away for a long time. I think the key is to read the reviews on hostelworld or hostelbookers, and to pay a bit more for an upscale hostel. I'm not often to keen on things like organised pub crawls though, whenever I have done them in Spanish speaking countries I have found myself strangely isolated from Spanish speakers for the night.
1 person has voted this message useful

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6057 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 23
21 June 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
The Southern Cone countries, Chile,
Argentina and Uraguay, are safe and
highly developed.

I totally disagree. Having been in both Argentina and Uruguay for an extended period of
time, I can assure you that they are definitely not "highly developed".

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5172 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 19 of 23
21 June 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I used dbag's advice to search on hostelworld for my trips to Ecuador and Spain and it worked wonders. I found a very nice hotel in Quito for $9. The idea of staying in a dorm just does not seem good to me. Anyway, hostelworld is definitely good advice. I even remember dbag suggesting to search the reviews in a certain way... which can be helpful. Once you get settled in a place you can also find hostels that are not listed online. I found a perfectly decent place in Cuenca for $8 (private room with breakfast included). One piece of advice... always ask to see the room before you pay for it. Many places have some nice rooms and some terrible ones. Asking to see the room is an easy way to either get a better room or avoid a disaster.
3 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4435 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 20 of 23
21 June 2014 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
aodhanc wrote:
AlexTG wrote:
The Southern Cone countries,
Chile,
Argentina and Uraguay, are safe and
highly developed.

I totally disagree. Having been in both Argentina and Uruguay for an extended period of
time, I can assure you that they are definitely not "highly developed".

I stayed in Argentina for three months. Compared to most of the world it's highly developed. Certainly nothing
to worry about in terms of holidaying. By the UN's measurements it has similar development to
Portugal, Latvia, Seychelles, and Croatia http://goo.gl/NDRITK

Edited by AlexTG on 21 June 2014 at 11:24pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4087 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 21 of 23
21 June 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I feel as comfortable in Chile as I do in Western Europe. Santiago is probably safer than
my city, Manchester, although I feel safer in both thereof than most other places in the
world. I think that Santiago, Buenos Aires, or Montevideo would be a good choice. Also an
interesting smaller option is the picturesque Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. It has a
smaller city environment, I felt similar to Toledo or Segovia in Spain. The other three
metropoli, however, are very pleasant and I feel that they are relatively safe and stable
compared to other places in Latin America.

Still if distance from home is a main factor, Spain seem more sensible. They are only
about 2 hours from the UK. I could eat lunch in Manchester and have cochinillo en Madrid for dinner without problem. When I lived in Newcastle, I often had breakfast in Newcastle and was in time for tapæ in Barcelona.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 June 2014 at 1:05am

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6325 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 22 of 23
24 June 2014 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
aodhanc wrote:
AlexTG wrote:
The Southern Cone countries, Chile,
Argentina and Uraguay, are safe and highly developed.

I totally disagree. Having been in both Argentina and Uruguay for an extended period of time, I can assure you that they are
definitely not "highly developed".

I stayed in Argentina for three months. Compared to most of the world it's highly developed. Certainly nothing
to worry about in terms of holidaying. By the UN's measurements it has similar development to
Portugal, Latvia, Seychelles, and Croatia http://goo.gl/NDRITK

Argentina provinces, cities and neighborhoods vary a lot one from another. There are some neighborhoods in Buenos Aires,
Santa Fe, Rosario and Córdoba that you should avoid, but if you stick in tourist areas, it's ok. The rest of the country is
not dangerous at all.
Your itinerary will depend on what you want to do during your trip besides speaking Spanish, since there's a lot to do and
see here (Just ask me). And the same goes for Chile.

Edited by Guido on 24 June 2014 at 6:24am

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3542 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 23 of 23
31 August 2014 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
jpmtl wrote:
If you're concerned about safety, why not going to Spain... Andalusia is very inexpensive.

I also think so :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version