Amo
Spain
idiomas247.com
Joined 3611 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: English*

Message 1 of 36
17 June 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried Tim FerrisĀ“s language post for learning anything in 3 months?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 36
17 June 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
link?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 36
17 June 2014 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
link?

Your Google-fu weak is. :-)

The link is here. It's the usual "focus on the most important aspects first etc." spiel. Nothing new for you and me.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Fenn
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4687 days ago

51 posts - 119 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 36
17 June 2014 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Keep in mind, like Benny, his idea of 'learned' is somewhere between A1 and A2.
12 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 5 of 36
17 June 2014 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I've seen his book before. In fact, I almost linked to it on the 'most ridiculous
advice thread.'

As far as I can tell his general advice is: be efficient, effective, and consistent.

And his language specific advice: learn vocabulary and grammar.

I never saw anything deeper than this - am I missing something? 'Cause what I read is
the generic stuff you see in late-night ads for personal-empowerment seminars.

Edited by kanewai on 17 June 2014 at 9:09pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 36
17 June 2014 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Fenn wrote:
Keep in mind, like Benny, his idea of 'learned' is somewhere between A1 and A2.

Benny Lewis's definition of "fluent" is almost always B2, and he's pretty clear about this in his book, and I think also on his blog. He also has various B2 through C2 certificates in several languages, so he's certainly acquainted with what B2 implies. Benny, has, however, failed to reach B2 in quite a few of his missions, including Chinese and Egyptian Arabic. He tends to do best with European languages, as far as I can tell, and he's lucky to reach even B1 in a truly unfamiliar language.

Personally, I suspect that "B2 in 3 months" is probably possible for an experienced polyglot who already knows a related language. FSI goes from nothing to C1 in under six months in several "easy" languages, and I went from A2 to B2 in about four months when I learned French, studying about 30 hours per week. If somebody told me, "Drop everything you're doing. If you can pass the DELE B2 Spanish exam in 3 months starting from today, I'll pay you a year's income," I'd take the bet.

But at the same time, I think that learning a language really fast is basically a stunt. There are people who can hike all 2,000 miles of the Appalachian Trail in under 50 days, but they need a support crew and they hike 40+ miles a day through mountains. For normal people, four months is good, and six months is perfectly reasonable. The same goes for language learning: You can reach a decent level pretty fast if you pick an easy language, you know what you're doing, and you devote your life to it. But for normal students, it's usually going to take longer.

As for Tim Ferris's post, it's pretty lightweight. Many people who learn a language have a surprisingly hard time explaining how they did it, especially at the intermediate and advanced levels. Lots of people here on HTLAL will give you more specific advice.

Edited by emk on 18 June 2014 at 3:52am

21 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4643 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 7 of 36
18 June 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Lots of people here on HTLAL will give you more specific advice.

Yes, like that. Great post, emk.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4240 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 8 of 36
18 June 2014 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
The bottom-line of learning any language is to be able to communicate. The focus is to be able to carry
on a basic conversation.

Many people are caught up with the fact that you need to learn half-dozen grammar rules, words &
phrases and that it would take years before you get anywhere. Learning a language is a social affair. As
long as you find a few people to talk with in your target language, you'll go much further.

I know somebody who took Japanese for a few years but never got to the point of being able to
communicate. Probably he never made an effort to get ahead either. If you keep going back to the same
phrase book: "Hello, good morning, my name is"... you're not going to get anywhere. The last time the
family was out for dinner, there was somebody at the dinner table who took Mandarin for 6 months. For
somebody who has a background in Cantonese and had some knowledge of writing Chinese characters
it was a big flop. On the other hand, he avoided listening to radio programs in Mandarin so this explains
his problem.

Edited by shk00design on 18 June 2014 at 6:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version