Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 26
17 June 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Not Being Fluent in any Language (Cost of Multilinguism)

I am not fluent in *any* language. I have also observed this among many of my peers.
It usually goes like this: Parents speak L1 at home, but L1 is not really studied critically. L2 is spoken outside, and some critical study is done, but not a lot. Then L3=English comes in teen years which occupies more and more time, but school years end shortly and critical study of it stops. As a result, we have adults who are not very skilled in manipulating any language.

This has been bothering me. It appears that there arent resources *for adults* which can take them from "ok, we can understand you" to "you now can now skillfully manipulate the language".
Even worse, it seems people do not realize that they are not competent in any language. I did not till I started learning German.

A hypothesis of mine is that this effect is worse when there are 3 or more languages at play. If English is only L2, then L1 is usually given a lot more study and practice time, leading to better competence.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4415 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 2 of 26
17 June 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Mind you, in poker, three jacks beats an ace high.
3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 3 of 26
17 June 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

This has been bothering me. It appears that there arent resources *for adults* which can take them from "ok, we can understand you" to "you now can now skillfully manipulate the language".

Without wanting to sound facetious, isn't that what libraries and bookstores are for?
6 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 26
17 June 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
When I taught in India, I noticed this among some Indian students, but especially among
ESL students from Korea. Their Korean was left at a childish level, I was told by an
adult Korean, but I can tell you that many of them ended school with pretty poor
English skills.

As for the Indian students, this is also due to the fact that a lot of English is
taught by people with pretty low English skills themselves. I accept, and love, that
there is "Indian English"; particular uses that are common in India. That is a
different thing. Signs abound for courses in "Advance English", which always makes me
chuckle.

However, if you speak even remotely as well as you write, Gemuse, then you are being
far too hard on yourself. I am now a teacher in England, and I can tell you that I
know many people, teens and adults, who could not manage to write as well as you.

Edited by Jeffers on 17 June 2014 at 2:35pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4027 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 5 of 26
17 June 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Even the case of some L1 and ESL aka English as L2 isn't perfect everywhere.
Our government successfully turned the process of actually studying Russian in school into "try to pass the test" game, when students drill a number or rules, learn to write a very standard composition and that means they know the language good. I find these compositions with its strict scheme awful and despite my school grades I generally failed it because I did not achieve its main goal (but passed with quite a good mark because of knowing spelling rules and stuff). Students are getting lazier, teachers are getting confused and the level of actually knowing Russian good is falling. Speech is drowning into simplifications, mistakes and dirt. The language is degrading. (Yeah, I'm pessimist.)
Now add English to the mix. Most of schools just doesn't have teachers who are able to actually explain pronunciation rules and stuff. There is not much of understanding that English is important because in Russia it mostly just isn't. The very perspective of dealing with English which so radically different comparing to Russian seems unnecessary to a lot of people here.
I actually tend to think that if you have more languages to play with it's easier. Sweden, Netherlands are great in showing that. Not that I've been there, but I think I don't even have to study Swedish or Dutch to be a tourist there because the level of English's integration is high (I'm not talking about small towns, of course). The more experience with languages you have the easier is the actual studying.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 6 of 26
17 June 2014 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Ms Diva, I was just reading a post from a guy in the Russian bloc who was lamenting that he was not fluent in any language. He is a talented guy, and I am quite certain his lack of language manipulation skills will hold him back.

Jeffers wrote:

However, if you speak even remotely as well as you write, Gemuse, then you are being
far too hard on yourself. I am now a teacher in England, and I can tell you that I
know many people, teens and adults, who could not manage to write as well as you.

I speak way worse that I write. And for writing, it takes me time to write, and I have to incorporate several edits. Even with this attention, I come across like a 11 year old boy.

Your comment actually highlights one of the reasons for my dissatisfaction with the current situation. People will comment to the L2 learner that "Your English/russian/L2 is better than some of the people I know", the learner feels good and goes on his/her way. What the learner really should hear is "Your English/russian/L2 is worse than 80% of the native speakers, and is only better than 20% of native speakers".

Folks, the bottom 20% cannot use the language well.

Edited by Gemuse on 17 June 2014 at 8:49pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5559 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 26
17 June 2014 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
"But surely I am better than the bottom 20%!"

?

Seriously, if there's a job to be done, the question is whether you can do the job at hand reliably, not whether somebody else who is not actually there might have done better, or even if you could have been that person, if just you had done something differently beforehand. Because, either you know how to do it, or you don't. (Or you kludge your way through it.)

Some people are really inflexible when it comes to their language use, but because they learnt a standard variety and the others learnt a dialect at home, they manage just fine while the ones speaking dialect struggle when trying to communicate with others outside their community. Which group is 'better' at the language?

I think there's different kinds of being good at a language. Some people are great poets or narrators, and other people are great orators or communicators. Most people are neither, though.

And what might be most important, people might not improve their linguistic skills because they don't need to, because they don't believe they can improve, or because doing so would have a negative impact on their social relationships in their immediate environment.

It doesn't matter whether I think this is good or not, it's simply reality. Of course I can judge people (and sometimes do so to boost my ego, but it wears off quickly and then I realize that I'll never be as good as some people I know, especially those raised as bilinguals, and both states of mind make it less likely for me to actually work harder), but it doesn't mean they have to live according to my world view. (Sadly. It'd be so great if everyone did.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 8 of 26
17 June 2014 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Do a Google search for 'Functional Literacy' to get some shocking reading.

From the Literacy Project Foundation website (referring to US citizens):

Quote:

The Nation
In a study of literacy among 20 ‘high income’ countries; US ranked 12th

Illiteracy has become such a serious problem in our country that 44 million adults are now unable to read a simple story to their children

50% of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level

45 million are functionally illiterate and read below a 5th grade level

44% of the American adults do not read a book in a year

6 out of 10 households do not buy a single book in a year

The Economy

3 out of 4 people on welfare can’t read

20% of Americans read below the level needed to earn a living wage

50% of the unemployed between the ages of 16 and 21 cannot read well enough to be considered functionally literate

Between 46 and 51% of American adults have an income well below the poverty level because of their inability to read

Illiteracy costs American taxpayers an estimated $20 billion each year

School dropouts cost our nation $240 billion in social service expenditures and lost tax revenues

Impact on Society:

3 out of 5 people in American prisons can’t read

To determine how many prison beds will be needed in future years, some states actually base part of their projection on how well current elementary students are performing on reading tests

85% of juvenile offenders have problems reading

Approximately 50% of Americans read so poorly that they are unable to perform simple tasks such as reading prescription drug labels

(Source: National Institute for Literacy, National Center for Adult Literacy, The Literacy Company, U.S. Census Bureau)

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 June 2014 at 7:25pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version