The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5446 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 17 of 46
04 July 2014 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
As someone who used to religiously follow AJATT/Antimoon, I can agree with them to a
certain extent, but mistakes aren't fossilized if one actively analyzes their own
output to find out what's wrong. While I have been switching to a more output-based
approach, I still need a lot of input to model my sentences after. When I write or
think in the language, I mainly stick to sentence structures I can correctly use and
try incorporating new structures I have been working on. If I try to write/think
something I don't know how to use, I struggle to think of a way to say it, and I know
what I had just written/thought is wrong, so when it is feasible, I simply look up the
structure I wanted to use earlier, read the many example sentences provided and then
try to model what I wanted to say after using the structure in the example sentences.

Honestly, I see output like high-intensity training. It's very effective, but only
possible in short bursts because your body can't perform at such a high level for very
long. Input is like the recovery period before the next time you do the next intensive
activity. People who have an output approach are still likely to have an input-
dominated routine, so we're still getting ample input before we practice our output.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 46
04 July 2014 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
People who have an output approach are still likely to have an input-
dominated routine,

Hmmm but do textbooks count in your opinion? Without additional exposure, they're actually better at teaching production, if you work through them diligently.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5446 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 19 of 46
04 July 2014 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:
People who have an output approach are still likely
to have an input-
dominated routine,

Hmmm but do textbooks count in your opinion? Without additional exposure, they're
actually better at teaching production, if you work through them diligently.

I think textbooks count. Textbooks teach you how to say things in a straightforward
manner. However, I don't use textbooks as my sole source of input. I watch TV/movies,
read books, news articles and comics, and listen to podcasts while I'm not focusing on
input. I don't think textbooks and native content have to be mutually exclusive.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 20 of 46
04 July 2014 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:

30 minutes working with a tutor is better than hours trying to figure things out yourself.

Actually there are a number of studies which show that self-learners and people who puzzle it out themselves
can learn better and in less time.

For example the University of Notre
Dame
found: by strategically inducing confusion in a learning session on difficult conceptual topics, people
actually learned more effectively and were able to apply their knowledge to new problems.

Also in the Times is an article based
on research at Journal of Learning Sciences noting that "Trying to figure something out on your own before
getting help actually produces better results than having guidance from the beginning."

Anecdotal: I have noticed that I retain information better if I've had to "figure it out" rather than just googling the
information.

I fail to see how any of this relates to learning a language. Are you saying for example that trying to figure out
what is wrong with what you have just said in a target language is more efficient that having somebody point it
out to you?

The problem with making mistakes in a foreign language is that one is usually totally unaware of the mistake.
What's there to figure out? That's the problem. Let's say that in French you are mixing up the verbs revenir and
retourner because of the influence of English in which come back and return mean the same thing. How can you
figure out the correct usage by yourself if you've been making this mistake from the very beginning? On the other
hand, a tutor will correct that mistake in five minutes and set you on the right track.

What we as learners need is not so much guidance as correction.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 46
04 July 2014 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Serpent wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:
People who have an output approach are still likely to have an input-dominated routine,

Hmmm but do textbooks count in your opinion? Without additional exposure, they're
actually better at teaching production, if you work through them diligently.

I think textbooks count. Textbooks teach you how to say things in a straightforward
manner. However, I don't use textbooks as my sole source of input. I watch TV/movies,
read books, news articles and comics, and listen to podcasts while I'm not focusing on
input. I don't think textbooks and native content have to be mutually exclusive.

I wasn't questioning your strategy, I'm just afraid that having a good input:output ratio isn't as common as you think :(

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 22 of 46
04 July 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:

Even if you live in the English part of the world, you still find differences between English used in the UK and the US:

UK English:
To walk across the road, you would cross the "zebra".

American English:
To walk across the road, you would cross the "sidewalk".

As an American living in England I'd like to make a small observation. Most people in the UK would say.

"Cross at the pedestrian crossing". Or at the zebra crossing. Or at the pelican crossing. There are actually different types of pedestrian crossings in the UK believe it or not so the generic one is pedestrian crossing.

Growing up in America we always said. Cross the road at the crosswalk. The sidewalk is the thing going down the sides of the street. Admittedly this might be different outside the state of Ohio.

:)
3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 23 of 46
04 July 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I fail to see how any of this relates to learning a language. Are you saying for example that trying to figure out what is wrong with what you have just said in a target language is more efficient that having somebody point it out to you?

The problem with making mistakes in a foreign language is that one is usually totally unaware of the mistake. What's there to figure out? That's the problem. Let's say that in French you are mixing up the verbs revenir and retourner because of the influence of English in which come back and return mean the same thing. How can you
figure out the correct usage by yourself if you've been making this mistake from the very beginning? On the other hand, a tutor will correct that mistake in five minutes and set you on the right track.

What we as learners need is not so much guidance as correction.

I suspect we are in agreement, we both seem to agree making mistakes is OK. My point was only that, after you've had a correction or mistake pointed out, it is better for the learner to go back and determine where they have gone wrong. So I agree the learner doesn't need guidance, simply correction; if they can figure out where they are going wrong and internalise the corrective action then it will "stick".

For example my Italian tutor used to give me English sentences to translate into Italian. Then she would review my sentence, line through the mistake and write the corrections. It was then left as an exercise for me to find out WHY my original translation was incorrect. This was much more beneficial to me and stuck in my head longer when I figured out the reason she'd lined through "Io sono" and replaced it with "Ero" was because I'd used present tense and it should have been past tense.

I've also had the opposite experience when my mistake was shown to me and explained in detail why it was wrong. Then made the same mistake the very next week because I'd not internalised the correction.

So it is different for everyone, but I find that for myself when I have to put in a lot of mental energy into puzzling things out I learn/remember more. Which is why I typically don't watch films with subtitles, if I have to puzzle out what is being said I take it on board. I always try to figure out a word in a book through context and use a dictionary only as a last resort.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 46
04 July 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's a lack of input that causes damage, not writing or speaking themselves. Your own writing shouldn't be your main source of input, and ideally neither should textbooks, at least as soon as you're capable of getting comprehensible input elsewhere. Our brain is likely to give more weight to what we said or wrote ourselves, so any uncorrected output has to be balanced out by quality input.

I fully agree.

The Real CZ wrote:
As someone who used to religiously follow AJATT/Antimoon, I can agree with them to a certain extent, but mistakes aren't fossilized if one actively analyzes their own output to find out what's wrong.

I fully agree.

rdearman wrote:
Actually there are a number of studies which show that self-learners and people who puzzle it out themselves can learn better and in less time.(...) Anecdotal: I have noticed that I retain information better if I've had to "figure it out" rather than just googling the information.

This one is less clearcut. I do want to think things over and collect information from several sources instead of just getting it presented in its final form on a silver platter, but there is a limit to the time it is worth mulling over some moot point when a peek in a dictionary or a Google search could have given me the relevant information right away. And even if I have figured things out myself I still like to get confirmation. Actually I think that I'm less liable to remember things which have remained dubious - I just leave them aside and forget about the issue. On the other hand, if you continue to mull about mysterious issues you may remember them better than questions which are solved right away. It may be a difference in psychology. As for the scientific literature I have seen references to research that supports the idea that fast and reliable information is at least as good as fuzzy information gathered through reasoning.   

Edited by Iversen on 04 July 2014 at 12:28pm

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version