United States
Joined 7002 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 25 of 46
04 July 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
What we as learners need is not so much guidance as correction.

Would that correction involve a spanking?
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 46
04 July 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Actually I believe some people could use a spanking because this is how they learn. To wit. Was is Mark Twain or
Abraham Lincoln that said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."?

All silliness aside, I think that rdearman's last post has clarified the issue. We seem to be pretty much on the same
page.

Edited by s_allard on 04 July 2014 at 2:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 27 of 46
04 July 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Was is Mark Twain or Abraham Lincoln that said, "Better to remain
silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."?

I don't know who said it, but I know when Lisa quoted it, Homer Simpson replied, "Takes
one to know one."

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 28 of 46
04 July 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Actually there are a number of studies which show that self-learners and people who puzzle it out themselves can learn better and in less time.(...) Anecdotal: I have noticed that I retain information better if I've had to "figure it out" rather than just googling the information.

This one is less clearcut. I do want to think things over and collect information from several sources instead of just getting it presented in its final form on a silver platter, but there is a limit to the time it is worth mulling over some moot point when a peek in a dictionary or a Google search could have given me the relevant information right away. And even if I have figured things out myself I still like to get confirmation. Actually I think that I'm less liable to remember things which have remained dubious - I just leave them aside and forget about the issue. On the other hand, if you continue to mull about mysterious issues you may remember them better than questions which are solved right away. It may be a difference in psychology. As for the scientific literature I have seen references to research that supports the idea that fast and reliable information is at least as good as fuzzy information gathered through reasoning.   

This type of "puzzling out" a problem is probably less frequent in language learning than learning other skills. It is true what you say about confirmation. After I have puzzled out a word in context, I generally look it up in a dictionary for confirmation that my guess is correct (or not). But I do feel I remember these words better than words which I've just looked up without attempting to figure them out.

I remember a story in the book "How I learn languages" by Katò Lomb about some fellow named Dezső Kosztolányi who learned to read Portuguese by reading a book in Portuguese and just "puzzling it out" while on holiday.

Don't know if it is true, but a nice little story anyway.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 29 of 46
05 July 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
The thought of trying to learn a language without using a dictionary or a grammar book boggles my mind. But I do
see a role for puzzling or figuring out in the language learning process. As we progress in acquiring grammar and
vocabulary particularly, a major problem, in my opinion, is how to put the pieces together. For example, many
words have multiple meanings. All languages have idioms, set phrases and metaphorical uses. As we see things in
different contexts, the problem is exactly puzzling out or in how things fit together. It's this process that leads to
come up with the right form of the right word in the right context. Some people call this language intuition or Sprachgefühl.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3829 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 30 of 46
05 July 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
nvm

Edited by Stolan on 05 July 2014 at 1:24am

3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4241 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 31 of 46
22 July 2014 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
The other day someone asked for directions to a local licensing office to renovate an expired
personal identity card. She looked European. You normally go to the licensing office to renew your
license. The intention was obvious but her use of English was a bit out of ordinary.

And while watching a cooking show on TV "Scandinavian Cooking" from Norway in English, a university
professor on the show made a grammatical error by saying "giving sausages for children"
instead of to.

Edited by shk00design on 22 July 2014 at 2:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4166 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 32 of 46
22 July 2014 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I had a teacher for one class who, after living in the US for about 20 years is still saying things like "I am now going to explain you what are we doing today." Understandable, sure, but I'm going to assume that this is a fossilized error. I should add--she was a great teacher and probably doesn't even realize she says things that way (and I'm not going to correct it because I was raised to believe it's rude to correct someone's speech if they have a foreign accent and you can understand them--I can't break that conditioning!!!).

I don't know that it's completely necessary or even realistic to avoid making mistakes, but there's no reason why learners can't focus on using simple structures or vocabulary that they know how to use correctly; instead of saying "yesterday I would've liked to have gone to the store" you can say "yesterday I wanted to go to the store" and will be understood by listeners.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version