Speaks: English
Studies: Thai*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 66
06 July 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
AlexTG wrote:
Zilan's a native Thai speaker ; ).

Not sure how much of a discount Thai gives for Chinese. I assume it's better than English, but it might not be so much. I'd be curious if it is closer/further-away than Russian-English.

I think it's the fact that both languages are tonal and that makes Mandarin and Thai more related to one another. The tones aren't the problem for me. I think the main problem is remembering how to write the Standard Chinese characters and recalling the meaning of each character.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 66
06 July 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
AlexTG wrote:
If you do 8 hours a day every day it works out at 8x7x7=392 hours.

When I did French at university we had about 4 contact hours a week=52 hours in a 13 week semester=104
hours in a year. I think we can safely say that some students were only working as much out of class as in
class, so let's double it for the total hours and we get 208.

Therefore, if this "intermediate" class is a second year college course, I guess maybe your plan could work.

But your math ignores that it takes about four times longer to accomplish mastery in Chinese than French for a native English speaker. So in your example university students would need >800 hours study.

Patrick, you really should read the first post and look at the op's profile by their name before joining in and giving advice. Besides the fact that he's not a native English speaker, he's not talking about "mastery", he just wants to get into intermediate Chinese at his community college.

Zilan, you said that you signed up for "Intermediate Chinese". Does this mean the second class offered, e.g. "Chinese 2" or something? How many semesters would students at that college normally study before joining this class? If it is an average "Chinese 2" course at college, I think Alex is quite right. You could do it if you work really hard. Depending on how many semesters you're skipping, I imagine you would be up to speed if you finish perhaps half of FSI, and that is certainly possible in your time-frame. Maybe not advisable or fun, but possible. Good luck!

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 19 of 66
07 July 2014 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
When it comes to Mandarin Chinese you have to decide whether to write in Traditional or Simplified
characters. Learning to enter characters phonetically is basically for typing documents, Email or texting
on computer. Most people including myself prefer to use Pinyin 拼音 used in China and throughout S-E
Asia instead of 注音 (BPMF) used in Taiwan. Basically Pinyin uses the 26 letters of the alphabet and
easier to input characters.

Historically there is a lot of politics behind using Traditional / Simplified characters. Simplified
characters were introduced after the communist revolution on the Mainland in 1949 to reduce illiteracy
because the original characters had too many lines and too difficult to write. The government in Taiwan
under Chiang Kai-shek insisted that changing the old characters means you destroy Chinese traditions.
The differences in writing styles also prevented both sides (the Mainland & Taiwan) from sending
messages (propaganda) back and forth since 1 side cannot read the writing of the other.

There is a program uploaded on Youtube by NTDTV under:
Learning Chinese is fun - Episode 1
“Learning Chinese is Fun”. The actors includes a father, mother and 2 kids. The level starts from
beginner to the intermediate level. Try a few episodes to see how you like the videos.

Another program on Youtube is from Singapore under: "Say It 好好说! 慢慢讲!”
The 2 hosts from Channel 8 in Singapore included a lady who wanted to improve her English and a man
who wanted to improve his Chinese. What I like about this learning series than any other is that you
have captions & subtitles simultaneously in both languages. And the dialog doesn't sound repetitious
like 2 people are having a conversation. 1 person would say something in English and the other would
reply back in Chinese... so there isn't the "word-by-word" or "phrase-by-phrase" translation that can
slow you down.
For example: instead of saying "How are you?" followed by 你好吗? "I am fine, thank you" followed by 我
还好, 谢谢.
You have this instead: "How are you?" 我还好, 谢谢... with no translating back and forth in the dialog
except in the caption / subtitle.

=============

For writing Chinese characters I found a video on YouTube:
Chinese character stroke order rules
uploaded by theforeverastudent. You can find a whole set of videos with examples on various
characters. You basically start with top to bottom, left to right.

In a classroom the teacher would tell you there is a specific sequence which line comes before which.
Each character is made up of a radical (the part that is use for grouping characters together). Like in a
dictionary you have all the words that begins with the letter “A” listed 1 after the other. In Chinese you
have characters with the same radical such as “釒” 1 after the other by the # strokes. Counting strokes:
each line across, down and curve is counted as 1 stroke. If you go to the online dictionary
www.mdbg.net on the left menu you look under 笔划
Radical / strokes you will find the all radicals
listed from 1 stroke up to 17. And if you click on a radical, you will find a number of characters with
that radical.

If you get the stroke order slightly wrong is a character written “incorrectly”? Personally I use computers
and portable devices even for recording notes so I rarely write characters on paper but use Pinyin
frequently. From a practical point of view, recognizing characters is more important than getting every
single stroke in the “exact” order as long as all the strokes are included.

Edited by shk00design on 07 July 2014 at 5:41am

3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 66
07 July 2014 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Patrick, you really should read the first post and look at the op's profile by their name before joining in and giving advice. Besides the fact that he's not a native English speaker, he's not talking about "mastery", he just wants to get into intermediate Chinese at his community college.

Thanks for the advice. Always appreciated! Perhaps you should follow it: S/he wants to *be* intermediate in Chinese within seven weeks.

Anyway can you answer the question of how much of an advantage of knowing Thai natively gives for learning Chinese?

Geographic proximity doesn't necessarily help with languages. Germans find English much easier to learn, than Polish, even when they grow up near the border; and growing up in Australia did nothing for my Chinese.

Edited by patrickwilken on 07 July 2014 at 9:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fenn
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4684 days ago

51 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 21 of 66
07 July 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/43939-indepen dent-chinese-study-rev iew/
(remove the space in 'independent' and 'review')

This might be interesting to you, this guy did 80+ hours a week while in Taiwan for 4
month, and gives a really great
breakdown of what he did and where is he is now.

Edited by Fenn on 07 July 2014 at 2:12pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3937 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 22 of 66
07 July 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Just making Fenn's link clickable:

independent chinese study review

edited to add:

It's a fascinating link, by the way. I have absolutely no intention of learning Chinese, but I still read every word of
that guy's post!

Edited by Stelle on 07 July 2014 at 1:01pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 23 of 66
07 July 2014 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Jeffers wrote:

Patrick, you really should read the first post and look at the op's profile by their name before
joining in and giving advice. Besides the fact that he's not a native English speaker, he's not
talking about "mastery", he just wants to get into intermediate Chinese at his community college.

Thanks for the advice. Always appreciated! Perhaps you should follow it: S/he wants to *be*
intermediate in Chinese within seven weeks.

To help you out, I'll quote what Zilan wrote:
zilan2367 wrote:
I would like to learn Mandarin Chinese to a low Intermediate level in 7 weeks.
A low intermediate level for me is being able to speak basic sentences and understand basic
sentences.

Now that's quite vague. But the next quote explains more precisely what he wants:
zilan2367 wrote:
The reason why I want to learn Mandarin in 7 weeks is because I signed up for
an Intermediate Chinese class at my community college and the class starts on August 25, 2014.

So what he needs is to be able to make it in an intermediate class (but we still don't know what
that class consists of).

patrickwilken wrote:
Anyway can you answer the question of how much of an advantage of knowing
Thai natively gives for learning Chinese?

Of course I can't. But fortunately, Zilan also explains what he means by this:
zilan2367 wrote:
Since I'm Thai, I have noticed that pronouncing the Chinese words are not
difficult at all for me because Thai and Mandarin are both tonal languages. Many words in Chinese
and Thai are pronounced the same way. If they are not pronounced the same way, the words often
rhyme.
For example: in Thai, the number "three" is "sǎm" while in Mandarin it's "sān".

People might disagree about whether there is any advantage. I'm just saying what he wrote.
In another post he clarified it, saying:
zilan2367 wrote:
I think it's the fact that both languages are tonal and that makes Mandarin and
Thai more related to one another. The tones aren't the problem for me. I think the main problem is
remembering how to write the Standard Chinese characters and recalling the meaning of each
character.

It sounds like my response to you bothered you a bit. I didn't really mean to hurt your feelings.
But AlexTG gave a relevant answer, which you shot down because you hadn't really read the OP.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 24 of 66
07 July 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Fenn wrote:

This might be interesting to you, this guy did 80+ hours a week while in Taiwan for 4
month, and gives a really great breakdown of what he did and where is he is now.

Absolutely fascinating post you've shared with us Fenn! And thank you Stelle for fixing
the link. Like Stelle, I have no intention to study any kind of Chinese, but his
experience is very helpful when I think about my own programs of study. Obviously the
OP, Zilan, should have a look over it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version