Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3685 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 49 of 66
12 July 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
zilan2367 wrote:
or is there a shared deck on ankiweb that I don't know about?

Well, in these cases I go to Quizlet, grab any deck I like, press "Export", copy-paste into notepad, "save as...", choose UTF-8 encoding and import the .txt file into ANKI. Quizlet has a lot of these decks.

If you want to add sample sentences from the texts themselves, just google some of those sentences, it's easy to find Integrated Chinese dialog texts online. You'll save time re-typing. Another idea is to choose easy sample sentences from nciku.com
2 persons have voted this message useful

zilan2367
United States
Joined 3592 days ago

27 posts - 29 votes
Studies: Thai*
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 66
12 July 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
day1 wrote:
zilan2367 wrote:

Well, in these cases I go to Quizlet, grab any deck I like, press "Export", copy-paste into notepad, "save as...", choose UTF-8 encoding and import the .txt file into ANKI. Quizlet has a lot of these decks.

If you want to add sample sentences from the texts themselves, just google some of those sentences, it's easy to find Integrated Chinese dialog texts online. You'll save time re-typing. Another idea is to choose easy sample sentences from nciku.com

Thanks for the detailed response! I followed your advice and I saved a lot of time.
1 person has voted this message useful

zilan2367
United States
Joined 3592 days ago

27 posts - 29 votes

Message 51 of 66
12 July 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Quote:

There is one called Mastering Chinese Characters in fact this is the first in a series of 10 which you might find useful.

Thanks for recommending that deck. I just downloaded it and it's really helpful.

zilan2367
United States
Joined 3592 days ago

27 posts - 29 votes

Message 52 of 66
13 July 2014 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
I've decided to submit this recording instead of the video. This is just a sample of phrases I read in the Yong Ho book. Please critique this.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0QSip0yNhAT

Edited by zilan2367 on 13 July 2014 at 3:37am

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 53 of 66
13 July 2014 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
zilan2367 wrote:
I've decided to submit this recording instead of the video. This is just a sample of
phrases I read in the Yong Ho book. Please critique this.

I won't be the first to critique your pronunciations. A few characters the intonation is off. Basically when
you read the numbers in sequence, it is understandable what you are trying to say based on the
numbers you said correctly.

二 èr has a short sound. Somehow it sounded like the English "are" with a much longer sustain.
四 sì another short sound. Somehow it sounded like sī with a longer sustain but still understandable.
九 jiǔ the way you pronounced it sounded more like jiū. The ǔ has a flat sound.
十 shí the intonation is going up. The recording sounded like shī with a long sustain sound.
十一 shíyī the above comment goes for all the numbers that begins with 十 for ten. 一 sounded like yǐ.
This time you needed a sustain sound yī but instead you had a flat sound.

[Basically when you were saying the numbers from 1-9, they sounded acceptable. By the time you
started with 10 up to 20, the 10 was off. Then 11 which is the combination of 十 & 一 should should
sound the exact same if the 2 characters were pronounced separately: shí & yī. Yours sounded like shìyǐ.
The rest of the numbers 12-20 sounded a bit off as well.

Suggestion: try practicing 1-10 first to get the intonations correct. The next time do it this way:
1, 11, 2, 12, 3, 13, 4, 14, etc. so that you start with 一 (one), then 十一 (eleven). The yī in 1 and 11
should sound exactly identical, not different.

Personal greetings: around 40s into the recording 你爸爸好吗 the 好 sounded like háo. All the way
through you said hǎo which is correct but when you get to asking "Is your father well?" you didn't keep
the same pronunciation for 好.

1:03 不错, 你呢: 不错 bùcuò sounded acceptable but 1:06 我也不错 the 错 cuò sounded like shuò with an
"sh" sound and not a "c" sound.

You can probably try to correct some of your intonation issues and then do another recording sample. If
you need more help, you can go to the online dictionary: www.mdbg.net to look up different characters.
The ">>" button beside a character will open a submenu. Click on the audio icon to hear how it is
pronounced.

Good luck!

Edited by shk00design on 13 July 2014 at 7:14am

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3685 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 

Message 54 of 66
13 July 2014 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Recording:

There were mistakes, but for a beginner level student - good! I have seen some students with a very good ear for tones, you seem to be one of those.

From my side, only two things need big attention: I think you still need some general tone practice, in a sense, that all the phrases you're reading sound really fine, but I am getting a feeling that you listened to those book CD recordings a few times before making your own recording (nothing wrong with that!).

The numbers, well, 二 "er4" was pronounced in a wrong tone, same as 十 "shi2" and all the 11, 12, .... and following numbers - all either very wrong or just passable. If judged just from these, I'd be very negative about the way you sound. I am assuming that when just given a sentence with pinyin but without audio to practice from, you'd make more mistakes than what were there in the phrases you read for this recording.

So, do some extra tone practice, my favorite sites are these:

http://pinyinpractice.com/tones.htm
(do tone combo)

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/ppp/
(play around with more difficult tasks)

Other thing, when you said 马马虎虎 "ma3ma0 hu1hu0", it sounded a bit weird, especially the tone on last "hū", this word is usually said very fast, so it sort of calls for a zero (no) tone on second and fourth syllable.

Don't misunderstand me - listening to audio CDs is a FANTASTIC way to learn to speak properly, so, if CDs make you sound good, then there is no problem. Keep on doing that. But for some deeper understanding of tones those exercises when you need to choose the right one from two really similar sounding ones are a good practice.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 55 of 66
14 July 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
zilan2367 wrote:
I've decided to submit this recording instead of the video. This is just a sample of phrases I read
in the Yong Ho book. Please critique this.

เก่งมาก!
Considering your level, your sentences were very good! There was a certain well publicized 3-month polyglot who
didn't get to your level, and he studied all day for 3 months. Others have made corrections to your
sentences, so I won't.

But your numbers need some work. Please note that the Mandarin 4th tone isn't the same as the Thai falling tone.
0 - ling3 (s/b ling2)
2 - er1 (s/b er4)
4 - si with Thai falling tone (s/b si4)
6 - lew like the English name with Thai falling tone (s/b liu4) (the iu pinyin is almost always pronounced like the eo in
Leo Beer))
7 - chee1 with English ch sound (s/b qi1)
9 - jew like the English word with Thai falling tone (s/b jiu3)
10 - shi with Thai falling tone (s/b shi2)

One last thing, although I didn't point out specific examples of this, you have some Thai influence on vowel lengths. Keep in
mind that while there aren't different vowel lengths per say in Mandarin, 3rd & 1st tone syllables are long, 2nd & 4th are
short.

Edited by leosmith on 14 July 2014 at 9:52am

zilan2367
United States
Joined 3592 days ago

27 posts - 29 votes

Message 56 of 66
17 July 2014 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:

Suggestion: try practicing 1-10 first to get the intonations correct. The next time do it this way:
1, 11, 2, 12, 3, 13, 4, 14, etc. so that you start with 一 (one), then 十一 (eleven). The yī in 1 and 11
should sound exactly identical, not different.

Personal greetings: around 40s into the recording 你爸爸好吗 the 好 sounded like háo. All the way
through you said hǎo which is correct but when you get to asking "Is your father well?" you didn't keep
the same pronunciation for 好.

1:03 不错, 你呢: 不错 bùcuò sounded acceptable but 1:06 我也不错 the 错 cuò sounded like shuò with an
"sh" sound and not a "c" sound.

You can probably try to correct some of your intonation issues and then do another recording sample. If
you need more help, you can go to the online dictionary: www.mdbg.net to look up different characters.
The ">>" button beside a character will open a submenu. Click on the audio icon to hear how it is
pronounced.

Good luck!

I like your idea about practicing the numbers in different orders such as "1, 11, 2, 12, 3, 13, 4, 14". I just downloaded a deck from quizlet and put it into my anki with numbers from 0-100 with audio. Hopefully this will help me out.

Edited by zilan2367 on 17 July 2014 at 7:43am

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version