Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 13
28 July 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys,
   I write here to ask you to help me building a study plan to improve my English up to an advanced professional
level.

I have full consciousness about my limits:
- Incorrect pronunciation, not any clue about English phonology
- Improvised grammar: I learnt English mostly by watching tv series and reading technical manuals. So my
constructions are pretty basic and confused, often mutuated from Italian.
- Short on active vocabulary

While I have a plan for the third point (context-based reading, flashcards and so on), I don't know how to structure
the rest of my studying plan.
- for the first point I had some insight about using BBC podcasts and watching some British TV serie trying to
imitate the way the characters speak. Though this seems to be not much structured. Do you know if it exists some
English phonology course like for example happens for French with the very good FSI French Phonology? The other
languages I'm able to speak are Italian and French. I guess that if the resource is in Spanish it is just fine since I can
read it.
- for the second point, I guess the best thing I can do is to study with a grammar book and doing lot of drills. Since
one of my goals is to take Cambridge certifications, I'm wondering if there are specialized books for that of good
quality. Also, I have to study the grammar from the very basic to the very advanced. I have holes everywhere
grammar wise. Do you have resources to advice me?

Thank you very much in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5527 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 2 of 13
28 July 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
For pronunciation there are books from Cambridge University Press titled English Pronunciation in Use with audio. I haven't used them but I had a similar book for French and concentrating on singular sounds did help me. It's a very renowned publishing house and their books are good quality so I recommend you check it out.

Cambridge

They also have a series of English Grammar In use which I think is excellent if you want to sit down and polish your grammar. And they do indeed have books dedicated to the CAE, Proficiency exams.

And the usual advice really: listening and reading. I can't imagine being able to speak fluently with good pronunciation without having listened to not some, but A LOT of real English.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4052 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 13
28 July 2014 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
I learn pronunciation by imitating. It sounds and feels completely silly and weird and that's how you know it's working. I find most people to be quite shy when it comes to imitating pronunciation, as if it weren't something proper to do.

Some major points;
1. English stress isn't fixed, as Italian is, so pay mind to correctly stress words
2. English is a stress-time language, as opposed to syllable timing in Italian. This means that unlike in Italian, English syllables are not of equal value; unstressed syllables are sort of shunned and they're pushed into smaller spaces than stressed syllables

You could watch videos like this.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4815 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 13
28 July 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I second what pesahson and Henkkles have said.
For pronunciation, you'll have to choose a model first. If you choose Received Pronunciation, you could try a three volume series published by Cambridge University Press called "English Pronunciation in Use." ( It's the one pehahson reccomends, though, you can skip the first volume, if you want.)
Now, I've done FSI French French Phonology. It is a lot more advanced and it takes you a lot farther. FSI teaches you both how to recognise a sound and how to reproduce it, while "English Pronunciation in Use" focuses more on listening and understanding.

I'm preparing for the Cambridge Proficiency exam myself and I've started a log here.
Do let me know if you start one as well. :)
Wish you the best for your preparations!

Edited by napoleon on 28 July 2014 at 10:07pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 13
29 July 2014 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry about the basics, advanced level textbooks cover them too, in order to make sure you don't have any gaps.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 6 of 13
29 July 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys!

@pesahson, thank you for the link! It seems to be indeed what I'm looking for.

@Henkkles: I'm one of those. Well, a good reason to go through. What you said about stress it is completely
unknown for me. Seems I have a lot to learn :) Just a little note: in Italian the stress on words is not fixed, and
indeed Italians and foreigners sometimes pick them wrongly. With a major difference: foreigners stress words
always with the penultimate syllable since it's the most common; Italians' major fault is to stress them to the third-
ultimate when it's not required :)

@napoleon: thanks. My model is indeed Received Pronunciation. You told me I can skip the first volume. For which
reason? You also told me that this course focuses in listening and understanding. My listening and understanding
are quite good (though of American English, where I find much more difficult to understand British), I guess this is
the reason I can skip the first one when the other two cover also what is covered in the first volume? Good luck with
your exam! By the way, which resources are you using and from which level are you starting? I start for something
that is between B1 and B2 (mostly active B1 and passive between B2 and C1 I would say).

@Serpent: ok, thank you for your advice, that will make me avoid wasting time!
2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4815 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 13
29 July 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the first "Pronunciation in Use" book is extremely basic. Most of what it teaches is covered in the other two books. At least, that is what I read in a review on Amazon.

I am using several books, out of which I am focussing on the following:
1) CPE Practice Tests
2) Grammar in Use
3) Advanced Grammar in Use

It's difficult for me to assess my level. Having said that, I'd say I'm somewhere between C1 and C2 on some (bad)days. On other days, I'm at C2+. So, it depends.
I'll give you an example. When I do too many FSI French drills, my English suffers and I start making mistakes. Like using wrong syntax. And unnatural sentences.
Small mistakes.
But mistakes, nonetheless.

Best of luck with your studies.

Edited by napoleon on 29 July 2014 at 11:23pm

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5527 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 8 of 13
30 July 2014 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
I would also recommend this:

Practical English Usage

It's more a reference book, it will last you forever. I would just dip in and out of it and correct small mistakes I had been making for years. It's a great book to have.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version