Tags: Word List
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6445 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 1 of 11
14 September 2006 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Do you write down notes in notebooks when you're learning languages? Do you have a separate one for each language? If so, how do you organize them? Do you have your own personal dictionary? A journal? Do you do things online or by computer instead?

I'm interested in how you organize your notes, if you indeed use notebooks.
1 person has voted this message useful

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6479 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 2 of 11
14 September 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
I do it all on computer. One text file for each language. In the file, I keep track of every program I've completed, every hour spent listening to the radio, and every hour spent self-talking/practicing/learning/etc in the language thus far. I find it helps me stay on track with each language.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6685 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 3 of 11
15 September 2006 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
I tend to use one notebook for each of the languages I'm learning (or perfecting). I use them mostly to jot new vocabulary or phrases down but I have the bad habit of rarely going back and re-reading what I've already written!

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6872 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 4 of 11
15 September 2006 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
I usually have a little notebook (pocket-sized) for each language. I basically scribble in vocabulary, phrases, or grammar points that I learn throughout the day. I later make flashcards for the vocabulary. Other than that though, I've never kept successful notes for language learning since I typically never re-read anything; I either collect it by osmosis or not at all.

I did go through the process of making a spreadsheet for the flashcards I had made at one point with the intention of keeping track of how many words I had apparently learnt. This fad only lasted a month though.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6563 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 11
15 September 2006 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
I make liberal use of notebooks because I use so many learning materials and need somewhere to keep track of what I'm learning.

For Japanese in particular, I have one notebook with the weekly kanji and vocabulary I learn, and a second book I use for everything else: writing down new expressions and vocabulary from my weekly readings, doing the answers to questions in my texts, and composing my own sentences for my tutor to check.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6810 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 11
15 September 2006 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
I use whatever notepad is available and I attempt to keep some kind of order but I tend to do like lady_skywalker mentioned, i.e not look at them again.

lengua wrote:
I do it all on computer. One text file for each language. In the file, I keep track of every program I've completed, every hour spent listening to the radio, and every hour spent self-talking/practicing/learning/etc in the language thus far.

Now that's what I call organisation!

Edited by patuco on 15 September 2006 at 7:10am

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6454 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 7 of 11
15 September 2006 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
I've always organized my notebooks chronologically.

Ishikawa Minoru
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 6556 days ago

31 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 11
15 September 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I usually purchase a couple hundred paper sheets and just scribe whatever words I learn.At one point I thought of actually keeping what I write,not so much to review but rather to one day remember how long it took me to learn the language,but I soon dropped the idea as I found it nearly impossible to keep track of thousands upon thousands of paper sheets,it wasn't worth the effort.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version