Joined 5216 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 9 of 12
09 August 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Given that you are German and have basic fluency in Swedish, you could skip L-R
altogether and just start listening to (easy) audiobooks. Compared to other sources of
spoken Danish, audiobooks are really easy to understand. But you'll see for yourself how
it goes with Harry Potter ;)

Before I got the Danish text, I listened to the audiobook "raw" for a while. It's really much harder to make out the words than in Swedish, mostly because of the soft d, Stød and many silent letters in the middle of words. You are right, of course, that there are a lot of familiar words, it's just that I can't perceive them yet! Siomotteikiru/Atamagaii (may they forever be remembered) says that it's not very useful to listen to audio without understanding most of what you hear, and my experience with the Czech Harry Potter agrees with that.

For now I'll be going through smaller chunks of 100-200 words at a time, and using a mix of techniques on them: listening repeatedly (with and without text), translating into L1 and then back into Danish, and a bit of analysis to figure out certain unusual constructions. But at night, to fall asleep I just put on the audiobook and listen to it raw. It is my hope that my comprehension will improve noticeably soon. (I'm also doing the Babbel course, which is super basic, so I'm tackling the language from two opposite directions)
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 10 of 12
10 August 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
The guy who reads Harry Potter is not so easy to understand unfortunately. Men with a
deep voice generally aren't.
For your "raw listening" time, give Grete Tulinius a try. She speaks pretty clearly. You
can find for example "Hulebjørnens klan" (which is also not so hard on vocabulary) on
certain sites online.

Edited by daegga on 11 August 2014 at 12:24am

RadinaM
Pentaglot
Spain
radinamatic.com
Joined 3542 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Serbian*, Catalan, EnglishC2, ItalianC2, SpanishC2
Studies: Danish

Message 11 of 12
17 August 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
If anybody is interested, I've just managed to assemble, thanks to apps made by Andras Farkas, a dual Danish-English version of the first part of Stieg Larssen's Millenium series (Mænd der hader kvinder), and I have audobook to go with it. I can't host them publicly since the original material is still under copyright, but I'd be happy to share privately.

Edited by RadinaM on 17 August 2014 at 10:25pm

hobom
Triglot
Joined 4006 days ago

33 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
04 October 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
this site should have what you want, hope you will still be able to read it:

http://greylib.net/danish/

they also have other languages, probably the best site for audiobooks I have seen so far.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version