26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4072 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 1 of 26
09 August 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
"Initially opposites like hot and cold should be learned at widely separated times."
---Source: question number 6, http://www.victoria.ac.nz/lals/resources/vocrefs/vocab-
testa

What do you think? Could you locate any relevant literature, for or against? Does it
agree with your experience?

It seems to suggest they should be introduced at deliberately separated times, which is
against my intuition. My gut feeling is it does not matter. But it is just intuition, not
science, so I might be wrong.

Edited by Paco on 09 August 2014 at 2:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 26
09 August 2014 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I don't remember when and where I read it, but I think I did read reports that learning antonyms or words like all the basic colours at the same time makes it easy to confuse them (unless they're in a related language with many cognates).
On the other hand it is possible to use replacement drills/exercises with these words, so they are often introduced at the same time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4812 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 26
09 August 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Against my intuition too.
I think it could be very positive to look for the opposite by yourself. I don't do it very often. Well I never do it.
You could save a few words to learn by using negative. Do you need cold when you could say not hot ? My sciences teachers would desagree they always asked "don't tell me what it is not, tell me what it is".

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 26
09 August 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Actually I would agree with that advice. I tend to confuse hot & cold in French & Italian. I would have been better not to have learned them at the same time. However the confusion will eventually go away the more you use the language, so it isn't really an issue.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 26
09 August 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I agree. I learned the Russian words for "still' and 'already' at the same time, and always confuse them. I also
make mistakes with he and she and his and her in Russian which I also learned at the same time, and I do
not know how many people I have heard who do the same in English.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 26
09 August 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I think it doesn't matter. I've been learning opposites together or separately, depening on the situation. And in both cases, there were times I could remember just the opposite, either because of "better afinity" to one of the words learnt together or, more frequently, due to one of the opposites being used more, including cases where I was learning the opposites so far apart I didn't even have exposure to one of them.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5394 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 7 of 26
09 August 2014 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I can fully support the advice. I have experienced it many times, that I knew, this word means either near of far, cheap or expensive, easy or difficult. In passive skills you can usually decide by context, but actively it is a mess.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 8 of 26
10 August 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
When learning Esperanto there is no choice but to learn the words for hot and cold
together, because opposites are formed by the addition of 'mal-' to the start of a
word.

So, for example, varma = warm/hot and malvarma = cold, bona = good and malbona = bad,
trinki = to drink and maltrinki I shall leave to your imagination ;)

Mostly this system works pretty well because 'mal' often carries a negative
connotation, and so it's fairly easy to remember which opposite is which. The two I
struggle with are dekstra/maldekstra (right/left) and ferma/malferma (closed/open)
which don't seem quite so intuitive.

Esperanto is probably a one-off in this respect but I think I always try to learn
opposites together in other languages too and I don't think I've had any problems. My
favourite Croatian textbook has a list of adjectives with their opposites and I think
it's one of the most useful pages in the book.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version