Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4039 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 9 of 26
10 August 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
On the contrary, I find it helpful to give the same vocabulary grouped different ways. So
for Latin or Ancient Greek I'd give a frequency list of vocabulary (around 90% of any
given text) arranged a) alphabetically, b) grammatically (parts of speech) and c)
conceptually (you know, divine, emotions, fashion). It seems to do the trick pretty well.
Students who organise their vocab in terms of synonyms and antonyms seem to do
better...at least at the composition stage.
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 26
10 August 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if it helps to add some additional context, e.g. learn the phrase

"hold and cold running water", or

"black and white, and in chess, white always moves first", or other things along those
lines.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 11 of 26
12 August 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I'd go further, I'd advise against learning groups of themed vocabulary (like colours, household activities) all at once, like most textbooks do. When I'm learning a non-Romance languages, either form looks arbitrary and I find it much harder to distinguish them. To make it worse, caldo is hot in Italian, kald(t) is Norwegian for cold, German being kalt, and caldo in Portuguese means broth which is usually served hot.

The same goes for learning groups of themed vocabulary. I mix up the words for fork, knife, spoon, pan, plate. I'm learning mostly languages that share few cognates with my native tongue, so they're totally arbitrary to me. I'd rather learn each of these items in each of my readings or textbook lessons, in context. Assimil once again does things better than the traditional approaches at this respect. Such themed lists may be better in upper-intermediate stages, once you already know the basic items and can work on actively learning more specific items, but until you've set the ground it doesn't make much sense to go into so much detail.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4072 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 12 of 26
19 August 2014 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Though this has ended, for the sake of reference, have a look at the tables
here

Edited by Paco on 19 August 2014 at 5:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 26
19 August 2014 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
I prefer using themed wordlists or similar sources for mopping-up operations, where I try to fill out some holes but actually already know the majority of the words involved. Lists of pairs of opposite adjectives or prepositions or other things are useful for the same purpose because you easily can see the logical structure, but I wouldn't use them before I already knew a suitable number of the words - not necessarily one item per pair, but enough to let me see holes instead of a barren desert.

Edited by Iversen on 19 August 2014 at 1:39pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 14 of 26
22 September 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I always found it more logical to learn adjectives in obvious pairs. So when I first heard the word for stiff, I would want to know how to say flexible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 26
23 September 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
There is one case where I like to learn words in pairs, namely pairs of perfective / imperfective verbs in Slavic languages. And two, maybe three verbs where there usually are usable cues in affixed and/or endings is OK - I actually prefer that to learning each verb in isolation and (in really ugly cases) without any clue to the aspect class of any given verb. For reasonably common words it is also OK to learn pairs raither than isolated words because you soon discover if your memory plays a trick upon you.

Similar shapes/sounds can be problematic. I always use bilingual wordbooks from target to base language for my wordlists, and the alphabetical order here functions as a help rather than a problem - but in the sections dominated by a prefix there may may hundreds of words that all share the first letters. The whole thing then looks like a confused mess of almost identical long words, which it would take a superhuman brain to memorize. The solution here is deliberately to focus on the part that follows the prefix and just keep in mind that there is something before it.

The real problem is however learning large groups of semantically related words, like seven berries or twelwe different occupations or two hundred small brown birds from Africa, and it is here that it really pays to learn them dripwise - preferably from a source with pictures and explanations.

Edited by Iversen on 23 September 2014 at 2:39pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 16 of 26
23 September 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I prefer using themed wordlists or similar sources for mopping-up
operations, where I try to fill out some holes but actually already know the majority of
the words involved.

You've written about these "mopping up operations" before and I find the concept
interesting and worthwhile, but I've never attempted such a thing myself (probably
because I rarely use my languages actively). I'd be interested in trying, though. Do you
think you could start a new thread to describe some of the techniques you use to "fill in
the gaps" in your vocabulary? Or is there already such a thread that I haven't seen?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version