47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 9 of 21
08 September 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I think it is better to go back and revise old lessons than do 2 new
lessons a day.
Long experience has taught me that if one rushes through a language course, one learns
very little.

That is not to say looking ahead will hurt, just don't be too desperate to finish.

Since I'm just at the beginning of the assimil russian, I can't really tell how
difficoult the lessons will be,but as for the first 10/12 I find them just plain and
simple to the point a lesson took no more than 15 to "master" (meaning I can
understand the dialogue without reading, remembering at least 80% of the words..).

If I have, let's say 1h a day, I think 3 new lesson would be nothing exceptional
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3858 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 21
09 September 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Assimil is great, but if you have enough time to do
a second lesson, can be useful to do a second
activity instead to complement it.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 21
09 September 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
When you close the book.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 21
11 September 2014 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
I personally believe two lessons a day would be a bad idea. The idea isn't to "get through" the material, the idea is to "assimilate" it. That takes time (I've even suggested using a one-week on, one-week off approach with Assimil).

If you have extra time and have finished your daily Assimil lesson, and still have study time, do something different. I found Michel Thomas German to be excellent (despite problems with the students some times). Deutsche Welle has tons of well-produced material for German students such as vocab podcasts and courses (I highly recommend the Radio D course for beginners).

But it might also be an opportunity to try using native or near-native material (such as the slowly spoken news on DW), watching films, listening to music, puzzling your way through comics, etc. Getting used to some of these resources early on will help you use them fully once you finish the whole Assimil course.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 21
11 September 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I personally believe two lessons a day would be a bad idea. The idea isn't to "get through" the material, the idea is to "assimilate" it. That takes time (I've even suggested using a one-week on, one-week off approach with Assimil).

Assimil Hebrew in 2 weeks - it's one way of digesting the material in a short time. The major requirement is the time. In fact I think that the two weeks approach is "better" for someone who is unlikely to stay motivated for six months.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 21
11 September 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I do 2 a day often, but then I always combine it with tutoring where I try and use the
new points that are being introduced.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 15 of 21
11 September 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Jeffers wrote:

Assimil Hebrew in 2 weeks - it's one way of digesting the material in a short time. The major requirement is the time. In fact I think that the two weeks approach is "better" for someone who is unlikely to stay motivated for six months.

Of course there are many ways to get through a course, and one of the great things about Assimil is its flexibility. But the thread you mention was of a person who already knew some Hebrew. And there is no way he learned as much as someone who faithfully did a lesson every day or every two days for a longer period of time. I haven't seen a survey, but from comments people have made, I'd hazard a guess that most users of Assimil take longer to finish the book than 3-6 months (it took me two years).

I can't say much about a person who is unlikely to stay motivated for six months, except to say that they are unlikely to learn a language. Language learning requires time spent with the language, not finishing books.

Edited by Jeffers on 11 September 2014 at 10:11pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 21
11 September 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Agreed - I've tried the approach with two languages I already have learned (I've almost finished the Chinese course and and I'm halfway through the German one), but would like to try a totally new language someday. Maybe Breton...

Anyway, I'm not saying that EnglishEagle has a wrong approach, or spends too much time on each lesson, not at all. I'm just saying that one can approach the material differently. The one lesson a day approach may not suit everyone. Going through the material in intensive bursts two or three times may even strengthen your skills, and in a shorter time. I don't know.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version