21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 21
11 September 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Actually it may even be a good idea if you have the time. It means you will retain your
focus over a shorter period of time and learn more. You can get into the flow and burst
forward.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4719 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 21
11 September 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
I don't really disagree with Jeff or tarvos, because there are many ways to use Assimil. I guess my takeaway point for the OP is that he should consider what he likes, and just keep studying. In any case, his goal isn't to finish Assimil German, it is to learn German (at least I think that's his goal!)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 19 of 21
12 September 2014 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
The rush through technique with Assimil is actually what I do, but then I start the course
and do it again a one lesson and day, with backwards reviews pace.

One of the things I notice in doing an Assimil or Linguaphone course is that towards the
end I just want to finish it, and hence don't really learn the last 1/4 of the course.
With the rush through technique I aim to a general picture and know where I am heading to
prevent this 'course fatigue'. But just as reading the headlines in a newspaper isn't
reading the newspaper, a rush through isn't doing the course. Its more a orientation.

Edited by Elexi on 12 September 2014 at 11:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4719 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 20 of 21
13 September 2014 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
A few months ago I was 30 lessons from the end of Assimil NFWE, so I decided to finish the course in a month of one lesson per day. What I noticed was that for the first 15 days or so, I was retaining the material pretty well, but then for the second half of the month I was doing "okay", but I don't think I was retaining a lesson's new content very well after a few days. I put this down to study fatigue, something Leosmith describes very well with his bow wave theory. In brief, when you learn a lot, you need time for it to sink in. Whether this means doing a full course in two-weeks or doing a lesson a day for a period of time.

For this reason, I plan on doing my next Assimil course for a new language on a week-on, week-off basis. I might try doing a rush through on an Assimil course for a language I am already familiar with (e.g. German, Hindi, or French Sans Peine).

So in my opinion, if the OP is new to German, they would get more out of Assimil by taking their time with it, and using any extra study time for other things.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 21 of 21
13 September 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
A few months ago I was 30 lessons from the end of Assimil NFWE, so I decided to finish the course in a month of one lesson per day. What I noticed was that for the first 15 days or so, I was retaining the material pretty well, but then for the second half of the month I was doing "okay", but I don't think I was retaining a lesson's new content very well after a few days.

I think this is not uncommon. Usually, the later lessons are a little tougher. One technique I've found helpful for this is a "begin with the end in mind" wave. That is, when re-picking up an Assimil that I've been through a few times, I start with the last lesson and work backwards.

This helps for a couple of reasons.
1) When I pick up the course I'm full of enthusiasm for it and therefore can plow through some of the tougher content.
2) If I run out of steam after two or three weeks and turn my studies elsewhere, I get the benefit when I come back to the course that those last several lessons won't be quite as challenging as they otherwise would have been.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version