Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5556 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 30
30 August 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
I'd like to add something to 'tone deafness'; as far as I am aware, most people who consider themselves tone deaf don't actually have the condition called amusia. I vaguely remember reading about one researcher who set up an experiment to measure something like implicit pitch, meaning, she let the participants make decisions about pitch without being aware that they were tested on pitch, and even the participants who did badly on explicit relative pitch tests performed reasonably well on those tests, which, I think, led to some speculation about them simply being bad at using their normal pitch perception consciously.
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 10 of 30
30 August 2014 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
theyweed wrote:
I was wondering whether it makes sense to learn a tonal language, for instance, mandarin
if one is so called tin ear. About one year ago I started my journey with mandarin and
few weeks ago I had an opportunity to spend some time with two native mandarin speakers.
What I found out embarassed me - while they were speaking to each other I was only able
to get like 5% of what they were saying (after one year of studies!). It occured to me
that I'm not able to recognize the tones (beng said n normal pace). I know that I'm a tin
ear, for I tried to learn to play the guitar and always had a problem with repeating the
strumming or maintaining the pace.
What about you? Do you always recognize the tones and never have a problem with
deciphering the meaning of utterance in mandarin?

You didn't mention it here, but if that was the first time you had sat down to listen to native speakers converse, that's why you got 5%. You can study all you want from books, that is not going to help to train your ear, that is something that simply must be done by listening.

You can listen to Chinese from your learning material, but that is highly structured and clear language. Even radio (except "talk radio) and television are very structured speech (news, scripts from shows, etc).

I had a hard time at first following conversations in the languages I'm more advanced in today even though I had studied to a fairly high level. Even native speakers do not speak grammatically correct both by accident and on purpose. They slur things, they use slang, the misuse words for satirical effect, and on and on and on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3822 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 11 of 30
30 August 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I'd like to add something to 'tone deafness'; as far as I am aware, most people who consider
themselves tone deaf don't actually have the condition called amusia. I vaguely remember reading about one
researcher who set up an experiment to measure something like implicit pitch, meaning, she let the participants
make decisions about pitch without being aware that they were tested on pitch, and even the participants who did
badly on explicit relative pitch tests performed reasonably well on those tests, which, I think, led to some
speculation about them simply being bad at using their normal pitch perception consciously.

And there are native speakers of tonal languages with amusia. I think people forget that the pitch is not absolute but
is relative to the previous words and all and many assimilations occur, a tone may have a few allophones. And
people whisper in tonal languages too, it can't be just 100% context.

Edited by Stolan on 30 August 2014 at 4:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4234 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 12 of 30
31 August 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I'd like to add something to 'tone deafness'; as far as I am aware, most people who consider
themselves tone deaf don't actually have the condition called amusia. I vaguely remember reading about
one researcher who set up an experiment to measure something like implicit pitch, meaning, she let the
participants make decisions about pitch without being aware that they were tested on pitch, and even the
participants who did badly on explicit relative pitch tests performed reasonably well on those tests, which,
I think, led to some speculation about them simply being bad at using their normal pitch perception
consciously.

Being tone death doesn't appear to be problematic to a person's fluency in language. There is no evidence
that people with "congenital amusia" experienced problems with their speech, only that music would
sound like noise. Maybe sound pitches in music operate at frequencies that a person with amusia can't
pick up. The English surgeon Dr. Oliver Sacks living in the US is an expert in the subject:
Oliver Sacks - Musicophilia - Amusia

A "tonal" language describe languages that use tones to distinguish between similar sounding words &
phrases while in non-tonal languages words can be pronounced slightly different according to the
context. For example we'd say: "Oh really..." to indicate an element of surprise. The same word "really"
can be pronounced with the last syllable "ly" raised to indicate a question: "Really?" In a language like
Chinese when you say bèijǐng it means background. But if you say běijīng you mean the capital of China.
The exact same phonetics except for the accents (tones) on top of the vowels.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5556 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 30
31 August 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685803

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3119887/
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028393210 001892

I did not claim people with amusia have serious problems learning their native language. It's just likely that it's a bit harder for them, because they have to rely more on the redundancy built into natural language and so have a smaller margin of error.

In languages like Mandarin or Vietnamese speakers, when asked to give a word with a certain tone without additional context, say that word in almost exactly the same pitch even when there is a long time between tests, while in languages without lexical tone the pitch at which a supposedly neutral word is said often varies a lot over time and between different words. That is why lexical tone has been linked to absolute pitch, even when the speaker does not have absolute pitch in a musical instrument or in singing.

It is true prosody can't be reduced to lexical tone. But if as a speaker of a non-tonal language you listen to very good speakers of English with a tonal language as their native language you can often hear that they remember certain words with a certain pitch, and pronounce it with that pitch featuring into the overall prosody, while a native speaker would infer the pitch of the word from the nuance in meaning they want to express with their overall prosody.

For speakers of non-tonal languages speaking a tonal language the effect is probably exactly the other way around - I can't hear it myself, of course. (I can hear people seriously messing up tone, but I meant the way good non-native speakers treat tone when they don't natively speak a tonal language.)

Yes, in the context of sentence prosody pitch is relative, and pitch in unstressed syllables isn't as precise as in stressed syllables. But there are rules for how this works, and if you want to learn these rules you should to be able to recognize relative pitch. Some people can't do this well explicitly. I can tell when a note is a full tone higher or lower than another note. I don't know how well I do on half tones, but for quarter tones to a smaller difference I often can only tell that the pitch has changed, not which note was higher. In Mandarin, I partly use syllable length to tell apart second and fourth tone when asked to do so, because while I can tell it's a contour tone, I might not be sure if it went from low to high or from high to low.
But when I repeatedly listen to the same word spoken in different sentences and try to repeat the sentences [easy enough to understand them, slow enough to repeat them], I don't have to think about whether a syllable is second or fourth tone [or sandhi], I just recognize the word as a word I know, and of which I know how it works in a sentence.

Edited by Bao on 31 August 2014 at 11:31am

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4849 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 30
02 September 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
It's completely normal to not understand full-speed Mandarin after one year. I've been learning Mandarin for five
years and here are my thoughts on difficulties with tone:

Don't worry if you're not musical. If you can tell the difference among the four tones when they're spoken slowly
and clearly as isolated syllables, you're fine.

When you hear a stream of full-speed speech, you do not need to identify the tone of each syllable in each
sentence. If you try to do this, you will fail. Most fluent foreigners and I'd guess even native speakers would have
difficulty identifying the tones of a passage of completely ungrammatical nonsense spoken at full speed.

In fact, you can often understand Mandarin with the tones removed. There will be some ambiguities, but if you
know what the speaker is talking about, you can get a decent amount (more than 5%!) Example: "Wo jue de zhong
wen fei chang nan xue. Wei shen me ne? Yin wei wo ting bu chu lai sheng diao. Hai you bie de yuan yin, jiu shi,
wo de ci hui bu gou le." This should be pretty comprehensible- if the tones were wrong you could parse it
differently, but there is really only one plausible way to put tones on that message and make it coherent.

If you keep studying, you'll gain more and more familiarity with common words and common expressions.
Eventually your brain will expect to hear certain words at certain places in a sentence. You'll subconsciously know
when there is only one plausible word in a particular spot, and your brain won't waste energy figuring out the
tone and presenting it to your awareness. On the other hand, if you hear "tā hùi shuō hán yŭ," you'll automatically
recognize that tone matters for hán because hán is Korean and hàn is Chinese. This is now way easier, because
you don't have to worry about the nonwords hănyŭ or hānyŭ. From distinguishing among four tones of five
syllables, you've got it down to distinguishing two tones of one syllable. This is how you will use tone for
comprehension when you're fluent. Keep at it, and you'll get there.

As for speaking with the correct tones, it will require another thread. But first things first.
3 persons have voted this message useful

theyweed
Poland
Joined 3602 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 15 of 30
03 September 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your replies.
Some of you claim that the dependence between musical talent and being a tonal
language native speaker doesn't exist, but interestingly, according to the research it
does exist.
I also don't understand why producting the tones correctly (questionable...) by myself
would facilitate the ability to discriminate the tones. When I speak I'm aware of fact
which tone I utter (I mean I hear it) My chinese friend claims that I'm OK as far as
speaking is concerned (maybe it's just chinese politness, but it's not the point as
we're discussing listening/speaking correlation). I guess I sometimes make a mistake,
notably between second and fourth tone for they require "some ear" to judge whether
pitch falls or rises.
The idea of memorizing whole utterances appeals to me, however I'm afraid that it may
cause a "snow ball effect" - as the number of words, possible responses rises. I also
don't want to find myself in the situation where my chinese will limit to:"i dont have
to know the tones cuz i can recognize a whole sentence"
For instance, I remember coming across a dialogue:
我让他帮助我们。
他最近很忙。会来吗?
他会来。
Whilst listening to the dialogue I of course misheard it (later I found the
transciption) and thought the guy said 回来. At that time it seemed quite normal for
me. The another person was busy, probably had been to some business trip and just came
back.

Edited by theyweed on 04 September 2014 at 8:29am

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4849 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 30
05 September 2014 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
theyweed wrote:
Thanks for your replies.
Some of you claim that the dependence between musical talent and being a tonal
language native speaker doesn't exist, but interestingly, according to the research it
does exist.

That's interesting. Still though, why let that discourage you? You've got some trait that's correlated with difficulty in
learning Mandarin phonology, so what? You can still do it. It probably doesn't argue for any serious change in your
studying strategy, at least until the research comes out showing that a specific intervention can help nonmusicals
overcome their disadvantage.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version