Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4277 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 17 of 30
20 September 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Don't let an obsession on recognizing the tones bog down your learning or discourage you. Just keep
studying, interacting with native speakers and immersing yourself in native material. It may sound like
indecipherable mess of sounds at first, but as month by month passes by you'll start to making it out little by
little. There's light at the end of the tunnel, friend.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 18 of 30
21 September 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
The other day I was watching a Chinese show online 快乐汉语 (Happy Chinese Language) from several
years ago. Except for the hosts, the people in the show were students from other countries. These
students are quite advanced in their Chinese and have mastered basic pronunciations.

Instead of learning individual characters, you learn them in blocks of words. Supposed you enter the
Pinyin: shouyinji you get 2 possibilities: 收音机 shōuyīnjī for radio or 收银机 shōuyínjī for a cash
register. shijian you get different possibilities: 时间 shíjiān for time, 事件 shìjiàn for happenings & 世
间 shìjiān for world. xiangjiao you get 香蕉 xiāngjiāo for banana, 橡胶 xiàngjiāo for rubber & 相交
xiāngjiāo for crossover. At first you'd memorize these phonetically without the Chinese characters in
blocks. Like in English you wouldn't memorize radio as separate sounds "ra", "di" and "o" but all 3
syllables together you'd learn "shōuyīnjī".

There are certain sounds where you can have 2 or even 3 possibilities such as yuyan you can have
预言 yùyán for a prediction / prophecy and 寓言 yùyán for fable as Aesop's Fables. You basically have to
go by the context of your sentence. On a page we can see 预言 has a different character as 寓言 but in a
conversation both sound the same.

In Chinese sentences are always written in 1 continuous line like: 我去看电影。You'd break the sentence
the way you would in English: "I'm going to see a movie" and learn each character / block of characters as
a complete word... like wǒ qù kān diànyǐng becomes wǒ (I the subject) qù (go the auxiliary verb) kān (see the verb) diànyǐng (movie noun, object of the verb). The word for movie you'd learn the 2 syllables diànyǐng together because these 2 form 1 idea.

Edited by shk00design on 21 September 2014 at 5:47am

theyweed
Poland
Joined 3601 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 19 of 30
21 September 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Today I've checked whether I'm tone deaf or not and the test result said that I'm not.
(here's the test: http://tonedeaftest.com/; of course I'm aware of the fact that such
test will not replace a professional diagnosis). Interestingly, today I've almost decided
to give up learning chinese as I had terrible efficacy when I strived to discrimate the
tones using pleco. I didn't count it, but it oscillated between 45-60%. This undermines
the result of the research that correlation between being a musically talented and being
able to distinguish the tones correctly does exist. (of course we assume here that this
test was reliable).

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4848 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 20 of 30
22 September 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
theyweed wrote:
Interestingly, today I've almost decided
to give up learning chinese as I had terrible efficacy when I strived to discrimate the
tones using pleco. I didn't count it, but it oscillated between 45-60%. T.

That's like quitting English because you can't hear the difference between "sit" and "seat." Hang in there! First,
because you will learn to hear tones better over time. Second, because the more you master the language, the more
context will help you pick out tones. If you don't give up, you will get it- at least good enough to understand
people.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4411 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 21 of 30
22 September 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Millions of people successfully learn Mandarin as a non-native language and they can't all have "musical" ears. I've never studied a tonal language but I wonder if it's just a pre-formulated excuse that some people have deep within to provide them with an easy get-out clause when the going gets tough, as it does with any language, even those in the same family as your native tongue. A bit like, oh you can't learn language X in land Y because everyone instantly replies in immaculate Z.

theyweed
Poland
Joined 3601 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 22 of 30
22 September 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Nah, I perceive it as seeking sense in delving into activity being deprived of
indispensable paraphernalia needed to achieve success. Someone who's 160cm tall will
never be able to make (do?) spectacular dunk. Of course 1/100M might be able to do this,
but this is not the point.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5555 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 23 of 30
22 September 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
(Just lower the hoop.)

The average person can't expect to be able to play for the NBA one day, either. If you don't have all the necessary prerequisites no amount of training will help you there. The average person can however learn to use a second or third language reasonably well if they just spend enough time on it. It's more difficult when the language is very dissimilar to your own. Some aspects may be more difficult for some people than for others. For me, tonality makes a language more difficult. But we're not talking peak performance here, we're talking a level than hundreds of millions of native speakers use consistently everyday. Natural language is not a competition, it's cooperation.

Edited by Bao on 22 September 2014 at 10:55pm

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4411 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 24 of 30
23 September 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
People often identify with the extreme end of a skill they perceive to be alien to them. They make statements
like "no matter how hard I practise guitar, I'll never be the next Eric Clapton". Well guess what, you don't have
to be. Thousands of guitarists earn a living without being as good as the top guys and you don't even need to
be at a professional level to express yourself well in a musical sense.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version