51 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 51
09 September 2014 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Found an add-on that you might like :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 10 of 51
09 September 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Nice log! I'll be following it. Maybe I will end up using more SRS.
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 51
10 September 2014 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Found an add-on that you might like :)

Ooo shiny, this I must try out.

Expugnator wrote:
Nice log! I'll be following it. Maybe I will end up using more SRS.

Thanks, hope some of the stuff I post here ends up being helpful.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 51
11 September 2014 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
So I just realized today that a fun little portion of film history also makes an interesting language resource. Nowadays when people watch foreign films they're either dubbed or subtitled, but for a few years in the early 1930s before those methods had been invented, they would literally re-film certain movies in a few major languages using the exact same sets and script, just new actors.

I thought these would make interesting resources to run trough Subs2SRS and make anki decks out of, to see if it would benefit from Professor Arguelles's idea of faster learning using the same content for studying different languages which was what he liked about the old 1960s Linguaphone courses. Anyways, regardless of linguistic benefit, I'm also just personally curious to study these alternate versions more closely. The jackpot would be if I could ever find something with a French, Italian, and Spanish version for future use since I could do both a simultaneous historical and linguistic comparison.

Anyways, one of my favorite early German sound films, Die 3-Groschen-Oper has one such alternate version in French, L'Opéra de quat'sous, so that's what I'm going to start working with for now. If anyone is curious to sample the two versions, you can watch the German and French versions of one of the film's musical numbers on youtube.

Seeräuber Jenny

Jenny-des-Corsaires

Edited by YnEoS on 11 September 2014 at 5:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 13 of 51
15 September 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
So not much luck finding films with multiple surviving language versions, they existed once upon a time, but usually now only 2 or 3 versions remain. I have started digging up the next best thing though, which is DVD releases of films that have multiple dubbing/subtitling options.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 14 of 51
15 September 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
What about merging subtitles on your own?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 51
15 September 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
@YnEoS: From a similar era to "Die Drei Groschen Oper", there is also "The Blue
Angel" / "Der Blaue Engel", starring Marlene Dietrich and Emil Jannings, although in
that case, the same principle actors were used as they could speak both languages. I've
seen DVD versions in both languages, although Wikipedia says that it was thought for
many years that the English version had been lost. It must have come to light.

I'm sure there must be other examples, although as you say, they may not have survived.
Probably not of direct linguistic interest to you, but two Welsh TV police drama series
(one quite recently) have been shot in both English and Welsh, using the same actors,
sets, and locations. This would have been primarily so it could be shown in England
without the need to use subtitles, and thus (hopefully) capture a wider audience.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 16 of 51
15 September 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
The learning series extr@ also revolves around the same plot, regardless the language.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version