239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 9 of 12
13 September 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
theyweed wrote:
Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "wasn't particularly user-
friendly". I gave
it a try and haven't encountered any difficulty. The programme allows to type a word
so that one can verify whether the spelling is right. On the other hand it has a
major flaw - the number of new cards per day is not limited, which leads to situation,
where one's forced to tackle 1000+ cards so that system can exploit the forgetting
curve. I'm about to use it till monday and if this problem keeps occuring (being
forced to review whole deck) I will
switch to original anki (sheesh the time I've already wasted to put into the system
~150 card for each of my languages)

I downloaded it quite a while ago, and am blessed with the skill of forgetting things
within a few minutes, so I can't remember my problems with it in detail. I just know
that I had difficulty using it, particularly in creating effective cards, and so didn't
find it very useful for me. I don't think I had a particularly large deck, and I hadn't
used real anki at that time, so I had nothing to compare it to, but it left a bad taste
in my mouth nonetheless.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3644 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 10 of 12
13 September 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
yeah, Anki syncs your stuff all around. i think the ankidroid app is
paid though. when you have internet access, you can use ankiweb too.

I read on the developers site that the android app is free, I think because it is worked
on by volunteers? I'm not sure why, but I whatever the reason means that problems aren't
addressed as quickly as they are for the iOS and computer versions.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 12
13 September 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Hm I clearly remember Cavesa saying that it's a paid app. Maybe this was changed.

As for Apple, I think it's not about your Anki ID but your apple store ID. So if that's possible, I assume you need to get your own apple ID and buy it with it in order not to pay twice if you get an ipad etc.

Edited by Serpent on 13 September 2014 at 6:10pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 12 of 12
14 September 2014 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Hm I clearly remember Cavesa saying that it's a paid app. Maybe this
was changed.

iAnki was paid from the start, but Ankidroid has been free for as long as I can recall (and I've
been using it for several years now).

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version