BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 10
20 September 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
The three major problems in listening seem to be: 1) Lacking vocabulary 2) Your ear not hearing words you already know 3) Inherent discrepancy in the way a word is written and the way it is spoken by a particular speaker.

So far this is the best way I've come to use audio and transcripts to address these problems:

1. Read transcript for meaning
  2. Look up unknown words
  3. Listen without transcript
  4. Pause and rewind to re-listen to words my ear don't immediately pick up
  5. If my ear can't get the word's meaning after several tries, guess the pronunciation/spelling
  6. Refer to transcript to compare my guess and the real word
  7. Re-listen to the sentence with the word until I can hear the meaning and words distinctly
  8. Repeat until the audio is done
  9. Review the audio over the next day or two

After you look up a word and return to the audio, do not let yourself move on from the word until you can really hear the word and it's usage clearly in that context. It's easy to trick yourself into thinking you understand what's being said once you already know from the transcript what the meaning is, but this is just cheating your ear out of an opportunity to notice the way people on the ground actually speak. If the speaker is slurring the word and you can't make it out clearly, mentally note exactly how it is being slurred, what part of the word is still there, and in what sentence and situation it is being slurred. By doing this you'll start to be able to infer when slurred speech is the same word you've heard slurred many times before. You'll also notice regional speech patterns if you listen to people from a particular area consistently.

You'll also notice your ability to identify pronunciation and spelling improves, even if you don't know the word.

I think something overlooked is that we seem to have two different known vocabularies. The vocabulary your eye knows, and the vocabulary your ear knows. It's important to improve both.

I've tried listening without a transcript, or with a transcript but no rewinding. I think both of these have value too, but what I described above has resulted in the best trend in my learning so far.

What is your approach to listening comprehension?

Edited by BobbyE on 20 September 2014 at 7:52pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 10
21 September 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
BobbyE wrote:

Doing a lot of listening is the key for me. I use a variety of approaches and they all help.

Listening plus reading the translation are one of the keys. This can often be done simultaneously. As I
begin to understand what I'm hearing, I start to pay more attention to the transcript, rather than the
translation.   The translation is a key though that allows me to comprehend far more interesting things that I
would normally be able to understand.

I find listening to things repeatedly over time is also helpful. My corpus of comprehensible material deepens
with repeated exposure.

Another key is to move on when something gets to dull or is too hard. I circle back later and pick up more.

Some satisfaction comes from listening to stuff that is not to difficult to understand without a transcript.

I listen every day. It's one of my primary activities. I listen on the go, in the car, when I have a couple spare
minutes as well as at my computer.

I use some video, but tend to work more with texts.

One useful tactic for listening on the to is to have a variety of material. I've found it very helpful to have
audiobooks as well as shorter segments such as Assimil lessons. If I only have 90 seconds, it's likely I have
an Assimil track that will fit that slot. If I'll be in the gym for 30 minutes, I have an audiobook that has a
chapter or two that will fit right in.

It's also helpful to listen to a variety of things. Since about half of my study is done on the go, I have several
tracks that can go in parallel. E.G., audiobooks, Learn in your Car lessons, FSI lessons, Assimil lessons, etc.
Smartphones and memory sticks make it easy to track what I've accomplished. I just delete the track when
I'm done.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 3 of 10
21 September 2014 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Nice Luke, it sounds like you've figured out how to maximize your time with listening. When school is in, I'm also mostly listening on the go. When school is out, I have so much time at home that I can more easily use the computer to pause-rewind.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5104 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 4 of 10
21 September 2014 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
BobbyE wrote:

1    Read transcript for meaning
2    Look up unknown words
3    Listen without transcript
4    Pause and rewind to re-listen to words my ear don't immediately pick up
5    If my ear can't get the word's meaning after several tries, guess the pronunciation/spelling
6    Refer to transcript to compare my guess and the real word

7    Re-listen to the sentence with the word until I can hear the meaning and words distinctly
8    Repeat until the audio is done
9    Review the audio over the next day or two

I do the same except that I don't "Listen without transcript". I find it unnecessary - it may be productive, but I don't need what it produces, so it's unnecessary. It's like doing a mock exam before learning course contents. I prefer learning first, after which I know I will be able to do the exam (ie. understand the recording). Maybe after 3 months of learning, I will test myself by "Listening without transcript" in order to locate weak areas.

Maybe my approach leans more towards "learning to listen" while your's "bringing your listening ability up to par with your reading ability".

I must quote Ari's excellent post:

Ari’s Chinesepod method

Re-listen to recordings that you've worked out!

-

Edited by smallwhite on 21 September 2014 at 10:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 5 of 10
21 September 2014 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Funny, I take the opposite approach to smallwhite and BobbyE. Since for me listening is the hardest skill, I practice audio first. I usually do this with shorter audiobooks, or readers that come with a CD. I first listen to the story 2-4 times without looking at the book. The first time I'm just trying to get the gist of the story, while I pick up more of the details with subsequent listening. After several listenings, I read the book (although I don't bother to look up every unknown word on the first reading).

The audio first method allows you to approach the written text with questions in your mind, and gives you a chance to develop your listening skills.

As others have said, periodic re-listening to books you've already worked on is a really good idea.

Edited by Jeffers on 21 September 2014 at 5:17pm

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 6 of 10
22 September 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

I do the same except that I don't "Listen without transcript". I find it unnecessary - it may be productive, but I don't need what it produces, so it's unnecessary. It's like doing a mock exam before learning course contents. I prefer learning first, after which I know I will be able to do the exam (ie. understand the recording). Maybe after 3 months of learning, I will test myself by "Listening without transcript" in order to locate weak areas.

-

I agree 100% actually, and actually I forgot to mention I do both and usually start off with same-time reading and listening because it's the fastest way to hit words I don't know.

Script seems like a prototype that is brought to life when spoken. The living breathing thing is what sticks in my mind the most, but the script really sets the stage for this to happen.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 7 of 10
22 September 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

The audio first method allows you to approach the written text with questions in your mind, and gives you a chance to develop your listening skills.

That's really cool man, that sounds like a fun way to go about it.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5104 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 8 of 10
22 September 2014 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Funny, I take the opposite approach to smallwhite and BobbyE. Since for me listening is the hardest skill, I practice audio first.

Listening used to be the hardest for me, until I started doing what I wrote above, and now it's 2nd hardest; speaking became hardest instead.

I actually believe that it would be better to learn to listen before learning to read. But it's much more convenient for me to read first, with listening following shortly after, so.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version