Diglot
Australia
Joined 4434 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 9 of 21
26 September 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Another beginners series you can watch is "Extr@ Spanish". It's on youtube and is very
fun, though sadly there are only 13 episodes.

"Casados Con Hijos", an Argentinan adaptation of the sitcom "Married With Children", has
lots of episodes on youtube and is hilarious in its way. It's also pretty easy to
work out the plot without understanding everything they're saying.

Edited by AlexTG on 28 September 2014 at 8:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 21
27 September 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
morphine wrote:
Thanks everybody for your helpful responses. So, the consensus is Spanish audio with
either Spanish or no subtitles.

That's not the way I read the thread. I read three posts that said it was okay to use English subs if needed (jeff_lindqvist, iguanamon & AlexTG), and two posts saying avoid them (Cavesa & patrickwilken). I would add my voice to those who support English subs if needed, mainly because (as AlexTG says) you want to keep your experience as enjoyable as possible. However, if you can find something with Spanish audio and pretty exact Spanish subtitles, then that is a good option. But in my experience, closely matching TL subtitles are hard to find.

I'm not sure why people are so against English audio with Spanish subtitles. Listening in your target language while reading in your native language is used for L/R and it's part of using Assimil. It's not a combination I use, but I know that Solfrid_Cristin, for example, does some of her Russian learning using Russian subs without Russian audio. It enables her to keep learning Russian while watching a film with her children.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 21
27 September 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I would add my voice to those who support English subs if needed, mainly because (as AlexTG says) you want to keep your experience as enjoyable as possible. However, if you can find something with Spanish audio and pretty exact Spanish subtitles, then that is a good option. But in my experience, closely matching TL subtitles are hard to find.

I'm not sure why people are so against English audio with Spanish subtitles. Listening in your target language while reading in your native language is used for L/R and it's part of using Assimil. It's not a combination I use, but I know that Solfrid_Cristin, for example, does some of her Russian learning using Russian subs without Russian audio. It enables her to keep learning Russian while watching a film with her children.

I guess it just depends on what you want to achieve.

I watch TV/movies to hear my L2 spoken. I find subtitles in my L1 just confusing, and find it interferes to with me thinking in my L2.

If you can find matching subs to speech in your L2 that can be useful, but I really enjoy forcing myself to have to listen very closely to the speech alone. Not having the subtitles on makes me concentrate very closely to what is being said.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 21
28 September 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Dealing with subtitles and dubbing are acquired skills. I never pay much attention when the dubbing doesn't match the way the person's mouth moves, those who routinely watch tv with L1 subtitles can easily ignore them when they are not needed. It's always easier just to listen than to read all the subtitles and risk missing out on the visual part. It's all about what you are used to and what you consider worth getting used to (for example if you're interested in exploring the movies in languages you don't speak/learn).

patrickwilken is in an immersion situation. most of us aren't.

BTW I second the recommendation of Destinos. It's a series for learners that gets progressively more difficult as it builds on what you've learned before. There are several "revision episodes" with lots of flashbacks to consolidate the previous material, so don't worry if you miss some things. Also, it should be easy enough to watch without the subtitles.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 21
28 September 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I not sure how that is relevant to my finding subtitles in my L1 distracting, when I am trying to concentrate on speech in my L2.

It's just a personal preference isn't it?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 21
28 September 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I'm not sure why people are so against English audio with Spanish subtitles. Listening in your target language while reading in your native language is used for L/R and it's part of using Assimil.

Different beasts. L/R and Assimil both use the target language audio - usually another language than English. Imagine doing an Assimil course with English audio while reading Spanish. (I'm not against listening to English and reading Spanish if Spanish is your native tongue and you're learning English.)

However, there are situations where I could enjoy native audio/target subtitles - as the example I mentioned, watching wild life programs with an English narrator and target language subtitles, but that would be my last choice. Whatever the combination, target language audio always has the top priority.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 15 of 21
28 September 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
You're correct about Assimil, but as I understand it "classic L/R" goes both ways: native audio + TL text and TL audio + native text. Anyway, for me as with you, TL subtitles with English audio would be my last choice. But I wouldn't rule it out for someone else.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 21
28 September 2014 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Serpent wrote:

I not sure how that is relevant to my finding subtitles in my L1 distracting, when I am trying to concentrate on speech in my L2.

It's just a personal preference isn't it?
It's a preference influenced by your methods. Immersion basically works by blocking your L1, so no wonder you seem to learn best when not involving it. In general I consider it as questionable as not using translations and bilingual dictionaries, though.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version