Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 41 of 80
30 September 2014 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
cpnlsn88 wrote:
Two issues arise for me.

One is, where is a good place to start? You may not want to end up with 300 words or
so but is it a good kernel to start with and give you a kind of 'leg up' with the
language, with significant benefit to minimal effort.

Second is, is the idea of kernel helpful in gaining in fluency for more advanced
learner, that you're better putting in the time into the kernel (or perhaps a bundle
of different kernels along similar lines)?

It's an interesting idea or set of ideas. The best way to evaluate is in some sort of
trial comparing different approaches; more likely we will need volunteers to test out
different approaches.

I think these are very astute observations. But on two different issues. First, when learning a new language
should one concentrate on some sort of basic core? I tend to think yes. I've never really given it much thought
although it would seem to make sense.

Second, for high-proficiency users I totally think that the kernel concept is useful as a study guide and a
maintenance tool.

I had a lot of fun putting this list together despite all the work. And I'm still working on it. The value I see in it is
that it tells me the things I have to know inside-out. It's like a check-list that I can run down from time to time.
There's a hell of a lot of underlying stuff in there.

At the same time, it's important to realize that there is a lot to learn outside this kernel.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 42 of 80
30 September 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Bao wrote:
luke wrote:
Too much tequila?

I'd actually think, too much using SRS or flashcards with translations, and too little paying attention to how the
words are used by native speakers.

This is an excellent point. (As for the three-word quote, it is another fine example of useless d***** I don't reply
to). My take on all this is that learning a language is a lot more than learning a bunch of words. That's pretty self-
evident around here. But people get very upset when I use a number like 300 words when it fact it should be very
clear that it is how and when you use those words that count.

I think people are arguing back because you make what appears to them to be outlandish claims about passing high level exams with little vocabulary. What you have said several times about learning to use words being more important that learning lots of words is a useful point. It's not a new or particularly insightful to say you should spend more time studying the more common words. I think Bao hit the nail on the head, because it seems you are focusing too much on words (whether 300 or 3000) and not enough on use.

For me, the way I work on knowing the ins and outs of the core words is by lots of input via reading, watching and listening. Of course to do that well I need a larger vocabulary. But when I am working on input, I am getting used to the common and uncommon uses of a core of words. The more I study, perhaps the wider the core gets, but the most common words get practiced the most. You could almost say I am assimilating the core.
6 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 43 of 80
30 September 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

For me, the way I work on knowing the ins and outs of the core words is by lots of input via reading, watching and listening. Of course to do that well I need a larger vocabulary. But when I am working on input, I am getting used to the common and uncommon uses of a core of words. The more I study, perhaps the wider the core gets, but the most common words get practiced the most. You could almost say I am assimilating the core.

Exactly. 80% of what you are going to be seeing, again and again, in reading and in speech comes from the first 2000 most common words, and >70% from the first 1000 (and probably >50% for the first 500).

There is no way to avoid practising again and again the core as you extensively read or listen.
5 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 44 of 80
30 September 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

I think people are arguing back because you make what appears to them to be outlandish claims about
passing high level exams with little vocabulary. What you have said several times about learning to use words
being more important that learning lots of words is a useful point. It's not a new or particularly insightful to say
you should spend more time studying the more common words. I think Bao hit the nail on the head, because it
seems you are focusing too much on words (whether 300 or 3000) and not enough on use.

For me, the way I work on knowing the ins and outs of the core words is by lots of input via reading, watching
and listening. Of course to do that well I need a larger vocabulary. But when I am working on input, I am getting
used to the common and uncommon uses of a core of words. The more I study, perhaps the wider the core gets,
but the most common words get practiced the most. You could almost say I am assimilating the core.

To say that I focus too much on words and not enough on use is really to misunderstand what I've been talking
about so far. I think the real outlandish claims are from the people around here who say you need 10,000 or
20,000 words to speak a language.

But I really don't want to rehash a debate that has already taken place with pretty much the same players. All has
already been said. In this thread, I wanted to give an example of what I thought this high-proficiency tool kernel
could look like. I don't know how many times I've said that I consider these words the tip of the iceberg.

I know that not everybody speaks Spanish, but surely I can get more than a very skimpy comment on the
contents. Do people see this as something as useful or not? I don't claim that this is the next great thing in
language learning. I see it simply as a way of highlighting the key elements for speaking. I even see the
weaknesses and problems in the first version.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 45 of 80
30 September 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
I agree with the general principle: the majority of speech uses the same relatively small set of words, and I think many intermediate/advanced learners focus too much on trying to learn a large number of words, including semi-obscure ones, when that time would be more effectively used on getting a better grip on the basics, solidifying the core so to speak. I see many learners, including myself, who have a pretty wide knowledge and good understanding of the language yet quite often mess up basics when speaking or writing.

I'm not convinced that lots of input is enough to "practise" the core; it's certainly helpful and gives you a better feeling for what sounds right, but I think that it needs to be complemented with some active work to be able to use it well rather than just recognise it well. I'm saying this both from my own experience and again from seeing many learners who don't have a very solid core for speaking despite years of living in the country and doing lots of reading/listening/watching.

I'm not sure about the specifics of how to apply the whole idea, but it seems like nobody else is either ;). Not even the OP, hence the changing definitions and moving goalposts. Which is fine; at this stage it's just proposing and debating ideas. I'm interested to see where it will go.

Edited by garyb on 30 September 2014 at 5:24pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 46 of 80
30 September 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
For those who may be interested, I didn't have to pass the placement test after all. I had written a nice little e-
mail in my best Spanish, and that was enough. It goes to show that it doesn't take much to give the impression
that you know a lot when it comes to speaking a language. Here is the answer I received:

Hola, Serge:

¿Qué tal estás? El grupo superior del día, el jueves a las 11h30, ya está completo.
Hoy ocho estudiantes que es el máximo para cada grupo.

Si puedes venir al grupo del lunes en la tarde todavía queda una plaza.

Hemos tenido muchos interesados en el grupo del día.

Saludos,
[/]

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 47 of 80
30 September 2014 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:

I'm not convinced that lots of input is enough to "practise" the core; it's certainly helpful and gives you a better feeling for what sounds right, but I think that it needs to be complemented with some active work to be able to use it well rather than just recognise it well. I'm saying this both from my own experience and again from seeing many learners who don't have a very solid core for speaking despite years of living in the country and doing lots of reading/listening/watching.

I know hardly anyone who advocates the heavy use of native materials for learning that would argue against the need to also practise output. They might argue about when the best time to start (early vs. late), but not about the need.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6378 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 48 of 80
30 September 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
s_allard, I'm on board with you so far, but this doesn't seem to be finished. We've identified a kernel of 300-400 words. Awesome. Now what do we do with this information? How can we use this to improve our speaking skills?

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version