Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3856 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 39
30 September 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
@Camundonguinho, why do you think that Swedish is the most practical option?
1 person has voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4558 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 10 of 39
01 October 2014 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
@Camundonguinho, why do you think that Swedish is the most practical option?

1. almost 10 million speakers
2. official in two countries
3. largest amount of study material

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 11 of 39
01 October 2014 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
So I'm a Swede who moved to Norway a month and a half ago. Some thoughts:

* All Norwegians I've met can understand spoken Swedish perfectly. There are tons of
Swedes in Norway and loads of Norwegians grew up watching Swedish children's TV shows.

* After a month and a half here, I'm still having difficulty understanding spoken
Norwegian. I get most, but I often miss entire sentences. I've been thinking about
doing some actual study of Norwegian. It's not the case that just because you
understand Swedish, you understand Norwegian.

* Danish is completely unintelligible to me and might just as well be German or Greek,
unless spoken slowly and enunciated very clearly, and even then it's hit-or-miss. This
does not apply to written Danish, of course, which, like written Norwegian, just looks
like badly spelled Swedish. It's easy. But Danish pronunciation is so different from
Swedish that I fail to even pick up single words from a Dane speaking at
conversational speed.

All in all, the mutual intelligibility thing is very related to exposure. You have to
get a lot of exposure to the other languages to learn them. That said, if you learn
Swedish, you could probably just start listening to Norwegian and eventually you'll
have no problems, and as I said, Norwegians have no problems understanding Swedish.
Danish will probably take study, however.
8 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3908 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 12 of 39
01 October 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
If you do choose to start out with Danish then you should try to get some very clearly spoken sources to listen to - and in practice that excludes recent films as material for intensive study.

Given Iversen's advice.... May I suggest audio books? I find, having no training in Danish at all, that following a Danish film without subtitles can be strenuous whereas after five or ten minutes with my first Danish audio book I could understand every single word. This might be ever so slightly affected by the fact that I tend to watch films late in the evening with a drink and some chocolate, struggling to stay awake for the end of it, whereas I listen to audio books while walking the dogs in the morning, but it doesn't account for all of it.

Some thoughts inspired by Ari's post: As noted, there are Swedes who find Danish completely unintelligible (it's a bit of a trope, actually - you'll hear people say this although they've heard Danish maybe once in their lives on a recording in a classroom when they were 13), but it should be said that it's also very common to find Danes who find Swedish completely unintelligible. Even close to the border. Even people who must deal with foreigners, including Swedes, all the time. If you find someone for a longish chat you may have an easier time, but for business transactions... Danes looked shaken and started speaking English to me in response to my Swedish 20 years ago and they still speak English to me. Last time I bought food in Denmark, at a very popular stop for Europeans driving through Denmark on the E20, I had to repeat every aspect of my order 3 times and the server tried to switch to English several times. I spoke Swedish, but I used the Danish words for every single item on the menu and even "Nej" (No in Swedish and Danish) was construed as a yes in his stress over having to deal with an incomprehensible Swede. This is pretty on par with my experience. I'm sure, though, that Danes get the same kind of treatment in Sweden.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 39
01 October 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Oddly enough, when I was in Copenhagen I didn't get responses in English that often. But
maybe they are either more used to Swedish (which is what I was speaking) or maybe it's
my damned accent that gives it away :p

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 39
01 October 2014 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
I had the problem of Danes switching to Danish when I tried to speak English with them
(when they found out I was from Sweden). I ended up telling people I was an American,
since people refused to speak English with me and I couldn't for the life of me
understand their Danish.

Cue "kamelåså" joke about Danes not understanding their own language.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3908 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 

Message 15 of 39
01 October 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Oddly enough, when I was in Copenhagen I didn't get responses in English that often. But maybe they are either more used to Swedish (which is what I was speaking) or maybe it's my damned accent that gives it away :p

9/10, if not more, of my experiences are from Copenhagen/Dragør, having lived about 45 minutes from there for 25 years. If people in Copenhagen are better with Swedish than the rest of Denmark, the rest of Denmark must be absolutely horrible.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3908 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 

Message 16 of 39
01 October 2014 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I had the problem of Danes switching to Danish when I tried to speak English with them (when they found out I was from Sweden). I ended up telling people I was an American, since people refused to speak English with me and I couldn't for the life of me understand their Danish.

Maybe they were just being contrary. If you'd have spoken Swedish from the start they might have insisted on English. ;)

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version