39 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 39
01 October 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Oddly enough, when I was in Copenhagen I didn't get
responses in English that often. But maybe they are either more used to Swedish (which
is what I was speaking) or maybe it's my damned accent that gives it away :p

9/10, if not more, of my experiences are from Copenhagen/Dragør, having lived about 45
minutes from there for 25 years. If people in Copenhagen are better with Swedish than
the rest of Denmark, the rest of Denmark must be absolutely horrible.

I do have to mention that I sometimes introduced my request (in shops and so on) with
"I'm sorry, but I don't really speak Danish" in Swedish (or what passes for it when I
utter something in that language). They may have gathered from the accent that I am
foreign in general (though I could be Danish by looks) and they went on with "yeah,
sure, no problem, we understand you!" so it may also depend on the person.

I always hated it in shops because I would understand what I was buying and go to the
counter and then the Danes would say the price with that weird counting thing they do
and then I'm like "but how many crowns IS THAT" and then I looked at the little
screen :p

Quote:
* All Norwegians I've met can understand spoken Swedish perfectly. There are
tons of
Swedes in Norway and loads of Norwegians grew up watching Swedish children's TV shows.

* After a month and a half here, I'm still having difficulty understanding spoken
Norwegian. I get most, but I often miss entire sentences. I've been thinking about
doing some actual study of Norwegian. It's not the case that just because you
understand Swedish, you understand Norwegian.

Norwegians (in Oslo) understood my Swedish just fine. Understanding them was harder,
but easier than Danes in general. I even managed to have a lengthy conversation with
Somali immigrant children on the train from Kil to Oslo.

Edited by tarvos on 01 October 2014 at 12:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4330 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 18 of 39
01 October 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
eyðimörk wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Oddly enough, when I was in
Copenhagen I didn't get
responses in English that often. But maybe they are either more used to Swedish (which
is what I was speaking) or maybe it's my damned accent that gives it away :p

9/10, if not more, of my experiences are from Copenhagen/Dragør, having lived about 45
minutes from there for 25 years. If people in Copenhagen are better with Swedish than
the rest of Denmark, the rest of Denmark must be absolutely horrible.

I do have to mention that I sometimes introduced my request (in shops and so on) with
"I'm sorry, but I don't really speak Danish" in Swedish (or what passes for it when I
utter something in that language). They may have gathered from the accent that I am
foreign in general (though I could be Danish by looks) and they went on with "yeah,
sure, no problem, we understand you!" so it may also depend on the person.

I found Swedish harder to understand at first than I found Danish at the beginning,
mainly because of the accent/the tones. I think the brain has a hard time accepting it
as a real language and not just some background noise when you aren't used to it. Maybe
the Danish have a similar problem with Swedish and you as a non-native speaker have a
less melodic and therefore easier to understand accent than Swedish native speakers.

Edited by daegga on 01 October 2014 at 2:16pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 19 of 39
01 October 2014 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I always found Danish harder than Swedish, so maybe it's just me. But the sentence
intonation I use could well be a part of it.

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4558 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 20 of 39
01 October 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
If only the communication between Swedes and the Danish were that easy all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktduJxKVps

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 39
01 October 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
Iversen wrote:
If you do choose to start out with Danish then you should try to get some very clearly spoken sources to listen to - and in practice that excludes recent films as material for intensive study.

Given Iversen's advice.... May I suggest audio books? I find, having no training in Danish at all, that following a Danish film without subtitles can be strenuous whereas after five or ten minutes with my first Danish audio book I could understand every single word.

This might be a good strategy for those who already understand Swedish or Norwegian well, but in my case it was pretty much a nightmare. Somehow even minimal learning of Norwegian and Swedish has made it easier.

As for Swedish being more useful because it's official in Finland... Chances are you'll just end up using English anyway. And well, if you're an introvert and hate asking people for directions etc, it will be nice that most things are written in Swedish too. Although for example in Lappeenranta you'll see a lot more Russian than Swedish.
I mean, it's certainly good for not missing out on things, but the real way to enrich your experience is to learn Finnish first ;) And please make it clear that you know these are separate countries etc. Also with Scandinavia in general.

Edited by Serpent on 01 October 2014 at 7:35pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 22 of 39
01 October 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Chances are you'll just end up using English anyway.

That's what people learn Finnish for.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 39
01 October 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Hehe. I mean that if you don't speak Finnish and you do speak English, your Swedish becomes kind of irrelevant.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 24 of 39
01 October 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Hehe. I mean that if you don't speak Finnish and you do speak English,
your Swedish becomes kind of irrelevant.

Depends. Do they know you speak it?

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version