ericblair
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 13
16 October 2014 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Has anyone ever seen audio of these for sale anywhere online? I purchased the Mastering
French book by E.J. Neather for a song at a local used bookstore. It is in great shape,
and looks like a nice volume with a good basic rundown of French. I was flipping through
and noticed that each section has audio to go along with it. The picture in the book is
of a cassette, and I don't think the course was ever re-released on cd. I went to Amazon
and it doesn't show even an egregiously expensive copy available with sound. Is the
accompanying audio probably lost forever? :(
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3842 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 13
16 October 2014 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
Salut Éric!

I Googled Mastering French by E.J. Neather and came up with several copies of the book AND the audio. You could also conduct searches directly on Amazon, AbeBooks, Alibris, Ebay and other online booksellers.

I have had "mixed" experiences ordering older language courses from the smaller suppliers listed on these sites. Before ordering, I suggest that you contact the seller (all of these sites have such a function) and confirm that they do, indeed, have the cassettes. Otherwise, there is a risk that you'll receive the book only.

Oh, by the way, the Google search above turned up sellers of the Advanced version of this book, with cassettes as well.

Bonne chance avec tes recherches!

UPDATE TO MY POST:
I have been studying German for a couple of years, but have never investigated Hippocrene Mastering German. Your question piqued my curiosity, so I Googled the title and immediately came across this copy on Amazon Hippocrene Mastering German. The interesting part, for me, was the Customer Review by Ginko wherein he describes the Mastering German course as a cut-down version of FSI Basic German. Is it possible that Hippocrene Mastering French, too, is a cut-down version of FSI Basic French? Your comments would be appreciated.

Edited by Speakeasy on 16 October 2014 at 5:41am

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4835 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 13
16 October 2014 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Hello, I believe that if you look more closely at the Amazon listing you'll see that it is for BARRON'S Mastering German, not the HIPPOCRENE series. The only one of the Hippocrene Mastering series that I've seen is their Mastering Polish which is really quite excellent.

Can't help with the original question about finding the audio for the Hippocrene Mastering French. But I second the suggestion that you check with the seller to make sure that any copy bought does indeed include the audio. I've found that a good many of the sellers don't really know what they have.

Cheers,
John
2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3842 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 4 of 13
16 October 2014 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi jpazzz,

Hmm, that's strange, assuming that you are refering to the links to Mastering French, when I clicked on the Amazon listing for Mastering French (Hippocrene Master Series) on the Googled list above, it took me straight to their listing of the Hippocrene version.

However, if you are refering to the Mastering German book and to Ginkgo's review, then we disagree as to what he wrote. My reading of his comments is that Hippocrene, Barron's, (FSI-Languages).org, Plurality Languages, and many others, offer(ed) versions of FSI Basic German, some of which are for sale and for which others are free-of-charge. Some of them state clearly that the courses are, indeed, FSI German, etcetera, whereas others, such as Hippocrene, "massage" this fact. Additionally, Ginkgo seems to advise that the Hippocrene version is an edited version of the FSI text, as is Barrons, replete with typographical errors. If you follow Ginkgo's customer reviews, you will notice that he has filed a separate review for Barron's Mastering German.

So, my suggestion to Eric Blair is that he compare the text of his version of Hippocrene Mastering French to the text of the FSI Basic French course on the FSI-Languages website. The intent here is to help him avoid paying needlessly for the Hippocrene audio cassettes. If, as implied by Ginkgo's review of Mastering German, Hippocrene's Mastering Series is/was nothing more than another commercial edition of the FSI Basic courses, then he can save himself some time and money as the mp3 audio files are already available free-of-charge on the FSI-Languages website.

Edited by Speakeasy on 16 October 2014 at 4:41pm

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4835 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 13
17 October 2014 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Hello Speakeasy, Interesting response. I'm assuming that Hippocrene's Mastering French is not an FSI based course (based on their Mastering Polish which is most definitely not FSI based); you seem to be sure that H's Mastering French is FSI based. Perhaps you're right. If so, my apologies.

Cheers,
John

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5573 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 6 of 13
17 October 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Was browsing a bookshop in London and was surprised to see a Hippocrene Greek course. It
was definitely based on the FSI course.

It could, nevertheless, be a good option for people looking for a cheap paper copy of
this course.

Edited by Random review on 17 October 2014 at 12:21pm

ericblair
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 7 of 13
17 October 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Speakeasy,
I clicked your google link. I only say one out of the links on the first page that had
audio. I did email that bookseller to double check on if his store really has the audio.

As far as the Mastering French book, I see no resemblance between it and the FSI Basic
French course. None of the titles for chapters/units line up or anything. I am of the
impression this French book is a more recent vintage. Original 1982 copyright with a
republish "with correction" in 1990 by Macmillan and this is a 2nd printing from 1996.

I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone has about this book since it is available
cheaply if audio isn't something you care much about. I figure it would be good for the
site to have more out there on some of the less common resources.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3842 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 8 of 13
18 October 2014 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Hi Eric,

I am pleased to learn that your Hippocrene Mastering French book is not a copy of the FSI Basic French book. My concern was that you might purchase the audio cassettes when the audio files were free elsewhere.

As to the availability of the audio cassettes, I found offers as follows:

Amazon.COM
Seller betterworldbooks

Amazon.CA
Seller Amazon.CA

Book Depository.COM
Direct seller

BookMob.CA
Direct seller

I hope that this works out for you!

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>