tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 21
23 October 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
bjornbrekkukot wrote:
In fact, at times I feel completely alienated from my own country and culture (the US). It's a really serious problem.
When I am abroad, I participate in events, like readings, lectures, etc, that I would never attend in the US.

At least for me it helps to be with foreigners who experience such a thing in German for the first time.
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4847 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 18 of 21
23 October 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:

The best methods are illegal and not to be discussed on this website, I'm afraid.

What a shame, as they're just digital files that cost nothing to cross borders and I'm willing to pay a fair price (but
not the excessive price of ordering DVDs from overseas!)

EDIT: Dubbed American films are usually available on international flights, so that's one way if you travel a lot...

Edited by robarb on 24 October 2014 at 3:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 19 of 21
27 October 2014 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
Ari wrote:

I' ve started to think that part of the solution might be watching American TV series
dubbed into foreign languages. I'm thinking of starting Game of Thrones in Portuguese
soon. At the moment I'm watching a different dubbed series, purposefully a pretty
mediocre one so that I don't mind it so much when I don't understand some stuff, but I'm
getting to a point where I'm understanding most of what's being said, and at that point
I'm thinking I might switch to GoT.

That's a great idea. What are the best ways to get American TV dubbed into foreign languages? It is almost never an
option in any of the methods Americans typically use to watch TV shows (broadcast, Cable, Netflix, Hulu, buying
DVDs, etc.) I guess I could order foreign DVDs online, but that would be prohibitively expensive.

Have you looked at the language tracks on any of the DVDs you own? Most of mine have several languages, plus even more subtitles. I often wonder at the decisions made by the manufacturers: why does one DVD have Icelandic and Turkish, and another one has Hindi and German? Who knows, but if you already have a sizeable collection, you are bound to find some dubs into your target languages.

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4888 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 20 of 21
27 October 2014 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
robarb wrote:
Ari wrote:

I' ve started to think that part of the solution might be watching American TV series
dubbed into foreign languages. I'm thinking of starting Game of Thrones in Portuguese
soon. At the moment I'm watching a different dubbed series, purposefully a pretty
mediocre one so that I don't mind it so much when I don't understand some stuff, but
I'm
getting to a point where I'm understanding most of what's being said, and at that
point
I'm thinking I might switch to GoT.

That's a great idea. What are the best ways to get American TV dubbed into foreign
languages? It is almost never an
option in any of the methods Americans typically use to watch TV shows (broadcast,
Cable, Netflix, Hulu, buying
DVDs, etc.) I guess I could order foreign DVDs online, but that would be prohibitively
expensive.

Have you looked at the language tracks on any of the DVDs you own? Most of mine have
several languages, plus even more subtitles. I often wonder at the decisions made by
the manufacturers: why does one DVD have Icelandic and Turkish, and another one has
Hindi and German? Who knows, but if you already have a sizeable collection, you are
bound to find some dubs into your target languages.

It's not the same here.In American our DVDs generally only have tracks in English,
Spanish, and French with the occasional appearance by Portuguese.

As the poster said, foreign dvds are always an expensive option, but even then you
have worry about dvd regions.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 21
27 October 2014 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
What a shame, as they're just digital files that cost nothing to cross borders and I'm willing to pay a fair price (but not the excessive price of ordering DVDs from overseas!)

They're damn large files though. Not to mention the copyright restrictions.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version